Posted: Nov 30, 2018 @ 11:11am
Updated: Nov 30, 2018 @ 11:31am

Super Ledgehop: Double Laser is a new bullet-hell plus rhythm title that seriously hurts the eyes. The background, foreground, enemies, and bullets often blend into each other, and the movement plus the motion artifact often made me think that I was staring at those spinning wheel optical illusions when playing. If you are prone to motion sickness, this game is probably one of the few 2D games that you want to have a bag next to you, should you try it.

In all seriousness though, that was my biggest complaint about this game, beyond that, the game is really enjoyable. For a base price of $0.99 USD and fairly lengthy main game with 5 stages, unlockable mode, achievements, and pretty fun gameplay, the positives really do outweigh the negatives. Though if you think you are up for the challenge, look at a game video first.

The developer also posted a speedrun challenge with a YouTube video, if you are interested and like to do speedruns, this might be a good project to tackle. The developer will be sending $50 reward via PayPal for the first person to beat this speedrun. Unfortunately I can't beat the final boss at this moment, so the speedrun is a no go for me.

The game is played out in a bullet-hell plus rhythm style that is really difficult to get used to. Twin-stick shooter mechanism with just keyboard and mouse works really well, though I have to say I had a hard time trying to maintain a good rhythm along with the game. The beat of the game is often drowned out by the sound of enemy fire, and often in the frantic moments, I forget that there's even a beat I am supposed to be playing to. Of course you cannot ignore that, because your bullets are smaller and less powerful if they are fired in rhythm with the beat.

There's a Shine stat that auto-refills and with it you can use it to reflect enemy fire or to absorb enemy bullets. This is a really neat mechanism that ensures that your gameplay is varied. You have a basic weapon that has limitless ammo, but you can pretty much absorb any of the incoming enemy projectiles and use that against them. You just have to play to find out.

Keyboard and mouse recommended. Can be played with controller, tried with XBox One controller, and the twin-stick shooter set up works fine. Though aiming I preferred the mouse, so I switched back really quickly.

Graphics and Music
Graphics are minimalistic and lightly shaded of color like the old GameBoy Color, though with much higher resolution.

OST is pretty good. Enemy fire sound effects too loud.

You need to enjoy twin-stick shooter bullet-hell type games in addition to not be frustrated with a game-paced rhythm. It's a serious challenge. Not casual at all. Though it's really easy to make your way through the levels because there are so many health drops and you can take a lot of hits. The boss fights are fairly challenging, and I cannot seem to beat the final boss.

As mentioned above, that motion-sickness part could be improved, though I cannot make a good suggestion on how to do it. I just know that unintentional optical illusions are not really a good thing when playing a twin-stick shooter/bullet-hell game.

$0.99 USD nominal fee for a fairly challenging and pretty fun game.

Positives
+Fun gameplay mechanic and unique too (unless it's very frustrating for you)
+Controls responsive and predictable
+Neat shine system (used to reflect or to absorb enemy fire)
+Unique boss fights
+Quite a few enemy types
+A good challenge
+Developer offered $50 to the first person who beats their time in speedruns
+Cheaply priced

Negatives
-Contrast issues with several of the backgrounds
-Sound effect drowning out the necessary game beat
-Game clock still runs when paused

Conclusion
Super Ledgehop: Double Laser is a slightly unpolished indie gem that has really fun gameplay mechanics in a unique and daring style. Not for everyone, but definitely quite fun. Watch a gameplay video to see if you are up for the challenge. The developer is offering $50 for anyone who is the first to beat their speedrun time! (I just know it will not be me!)

Developer response:
ChairGTables  [developer] Posted: Nov 30, 2018 @ 3:45pm
WHOAAAAA! Thank you so much for this super honest review!
I gotta say, there are indeed a bunch of mistakes I made like you said, and I'm glad you point these out so I can learn from these mistakes, especially with the sound balance with sound effects.
I have to point out though that I intentionally make the game clock resume like normal during pause screens as this is how it traditionally goes for speedrun timings.