Posted: Sep 26 @ 10:02am

The Executioner is a story-driven text-based RPG with decision-based consequences and character progression along some interesting paths. What negates the enjoyment of this game along with its seemingly interesting concept and story, for the English-speaking player, is the poor localization of the game. A cleaner execution would certainly help out this game immensely.

I really wanted to like this game, and after reading through the Steam store page, I was very excited to try it out. I can look past a bit of non-native English syntax and diction, I understand the struggles of creating content in an non-native language. (Been there, done that.) But when it gets to a point where a lot of stuff is no longer making sense, especially in a text-based story-driven game, I felt the need to specifically note the problems in the English version.

There are some voice-narrated sections in this game. They are fine in terms of the English, but the accompanying subtitles are in the same translated style as the regular scenarios that you read through. I tried my best to read through the text as smoothly as possible myself, but so many sections I had to slow down to word-by-word reading because of trying to make sense of what was going on.

If you want to see what I was dealing with, I recorded my first-look at this game and it can be found here:

Aside from that, the game took forever to load, first time loading up was 2 minutes of me watching a little guillotine icon move up and down. As for why, I cannot possibly imagine, because there's not a whole lot going on in terms of needing to load maps/scenarios that should take such a long time. For those of you looking to try it out, I want you to time the first loading/splash screen and see how long it took.

The other big problem I encountered was trying to save. I didn't see where I could save while I was playing and when I was done for the session, I couldn't even get back to the menu screen from where I had been. I did not see anywhere I could save, so after finding out how to exit to the menu, I looked and saw there's a Continue button as well as a Load button on the screen. I assumed the game would automatically save, but instead, neither of these yielded anything. You can see all this in the video above as well.

Every decision matters as it drives the story in this RPG. The fact that the biggest struggle for the protagonist comes from within makes each choice even more valuable. The protagnoist has some special abilities and inner senses that make him different from everyone else. The dark atmosphere around the game world may be shaped by the vile reality or by the protagonist's twisted mind.

I actually really want to play this game and I really want to enjoy it. It looks fantastic and the ideas are really solid. I definitely plan on following this game for a while and if there are good improvements, I will come back and revisit it along with this review. For now, I just need to put it down and move on.

You only need a mouse for this game.

Nice artwork, good use of color.

Music
Gets a little repetitive, but you can turn it down/off if you wish.

Mature audience for dark gruesome content.

Good price at least. It's a full release at $9.99 US. Too bad it lacks the polish of a full release game.

Conclusion
The Executioner fell a little flat in execution, at least in the English version but there are definitely optimization problems and QoL features that could use serious adjustments. Great story and concept, nice artwork. But when the game is text-based and story-driven, having a poor translation package makes it difficult to play and to enjoy.

For the English build on September 25, 2019, score: 3/10. Definitely wait for some serious patching.