Posted: Mar 15, 2019 @ 8:48am
Updated: Mar 15, 2019 @ 8:48am

Eternity: The Last Unicorn is an artificially difficult action RPG with glitchy combat that excludes many potential players. The lore is based on Norse mythology and is fun to read through; the individual stage designs are pretty nice with decent graphical elements; the bosses look neat until you go to fight them; and the glitchy combat + boosted difficulty makes the gameplay rely on good luck and continual grinding most of the time before progressing forward.

Many people will have problems with the fixed camera angles, I did too in the beginning until I got used to where the transitions were and could often get myself into a comfortable angle during most combat encounters. Being generally aware of where your character sprite is on-screen relative to the enemies, as well as how fast the enemies move and what their attacks typically are will give you a good idea about proper dodging and attacking patterns that will ultimately benefit you. (This takes time to get there.)

Overall, the game feels really very much like it plays in early access, with all of the glitches and bugs encountered. I am sure a lot of things were play-tested before release, but there are some simple things that should have been looked at and adjusted before release. These things I have mentioned to the developers through the discussion forums, and they have indicated that they will consider changes, though there has not been any updates or announcements about planned changes now 10 days post-release. (There are some really simple to correct things such as giving the player the ability to skip animations at boss encounters--because you are expected to die again and again, but the animation plays every single time. There are also other really time-wasting actions such as picking up each item individually that takes about 3 seconds each.) But those are QoL issues, and I understand that they may be working on some of the bigger glitchy aspects of the game, but I really feel that most of this could have been done before making the player base who planned on buying a full-release be the player-testers instead.

So next thing I wanted to mention is the combat and the difficulty comes from a lot of enemies that hit super hard, and facing a small mob of them means that you have to constantly hit and dodge. Fortunately there is no stamina bar in this game, and you can use dodge to break up your current action, even if you are in the middle of a heavy attack. This is really necessary for this game. The not-so-fun aspect of the combat comes from the artificially boosted HP of a lot of bigger enemies and bosses. This is especially the case with bosses. Don't be surprised if you have to head into a fight and basically nip 1% HP off the boss per hit, having to dodge all over the place, and any hits you take will shave 30% of your HP. On top of that, there are issues with dodging around bosses because they are bigger, and sometimes you can get clipped between the boss and the wall. Burning through all of your healing items in any boss fight is just normal progression, and to get them back, you have to go grind through waves of enemies and hope for some good drops. Because shops have very limited supplies and do not restock. The ridiculous amount of repetitive fighting in this game is mind-boggling. (Repetitive in not only are you going through the same waves after waves of enemies, but also you are using basically the same attack, dodge, attack, dodge, series of button presses ad nauseam.) For some people like me, who wants to see progression in story, it just doesn't sit well with me when there are absolutely no difficulty options. Hopefully this will get added in the future.

I also had a lot of display issues, because there is no native 4K support, I had a lot of on-screen display aberrations during the gameplay because of the 1080P game window stretched across the 4K screen. I also had the game randomly jump out of full-screen to give me a 1080P window while I was playing. Native 4K support is really a must in 2019, in my opinion. I do wish some of the textures have finer detail, especially with the main characters, they could have had better polish.

The game has so much potential, and we should respect the developers' decisions regarding camera angles and game difficulty, because sometimes there are aspects of games that define them among their peers. But having a full-release full of bugs and QoL issues without any updates/news announcements 10 days post-release really does not sit well with me.

The game's two DLCs--digital artbook and soundtrack--are free for people who own the game, I glanced through the artbook and it's really quite nice. In addition, the game has a digital manual, which is appreciated. Most games do not do that any more.

Overall the game just feels like a game that hasn't been play-tested enough. After grinding on for about 10 hours, I have decided to leave this review and move on. I really cannot recommend that my friends spend their time on this at this time.

Warden26 Aug 10, 2020 @ 10:33am
Ok, thanks :)
YQMaoski Aug 10, 2020 @ 10:32am
QWERTY keyboard for me.
Warden26 Aug 10, 2020 @ 10:29am
I've just read that the keys can't be changed, is the game in AZERTY or QWERTY please?
76561197998892543 Dec 11, 2019 @ 12:46pm
"We are in 2019, and some computer games still don't allow for rebinding of keys. Why is that?"

Because way too many people rush to give a company exactly what it asks for exactly when it asks for it, no matter what.

A company could successfully release a game that doesn't even allow itself to be played --if enough people voluntarily reward the company with their money for doing so.

If you find a practice unacceptable, you're going to have to stop supporting it with your money--or at least start waiting until the game is a fraction of the asking price. Otherwise you're just complaining about a problem that you, yourself are responsible for.
Gorgoneus Nov 15, 2019 @ 1:23pm
Russian developers like artificial difficulties. As unofficial TES modemakers as big developers.
LordOfDarkFlame ⭕⃤ 🔥 Jun 19, 2019 @ 1:26pm
'Void Studio'?
More like 'AVOID Studio'!
EpikBlazn Apr 20, 2019 @ 12:34pm
Yea I was really excited for this game, then I noticed I had to grind at certain parts and stuff just fell flat uninteresting after that to wanna keep playing, maybe when another update that will make me return again will come out. Agree about crafting also.
YQMaoski Apr 18, 2019 @ 8:06am
I totally get what you mean, I remember that fight, and yeah, having the bow made things so much easier. But still, attacking empty air really doesn't do much. Good thing the bow has a lock and you can just use the charged attack. $6 is a decent sale price for this title, for sure.
Xr-1 Apr 18, 2019 @ 8:01am
They need a better lock on mechanic. I am currently at the troll boss guarding the lever to the statue and you need the bow to be able to kill the blue shielded minions. It is just pure luck being able to hit them, especially since the camera is fixed. Most of the fight you cannot even see what you are attacking. Picked this up for $6 on sale so not too upset but if they got rid of that fixed camera game would be so much better.
YQMaoski Mar 17, 2019 @ 7:41am
I found crafting to be only useful for obtaining the key items needed for progression. The rest of the crafting was less useful. Also, only being able to craft items in very specific locations meant that more likely than not, people are going to be holding onto a lot of ingredients and not doing too much with them.