0.0 hrs last two weeks / 5.2 hrs on record (4.7 hrs at review time)
Posted: Oct 29, 2019 @ 11:14pm
Updated: Oct 30, 2019 @ 7:27am

A calm and casual downhill cycling experience with the most gruesome lo-poly crashes and some serious challenges, Lonely Mountains: Downhill is a potentially rewarding game for everyone.

Lonely Mountains: Downhill really does not need a great lengthy description or much explanation as to the gameplay mechanics. It's an open-map downhill cycling simulation game that has 16 trails, each with its own set of challenges, with progressively completing challenges to unlock more tracks, outfits, bikes, etc.

Each trail comes with a suggested route that you can take, usually demarcated fairly clearly by the paths you can follow. This is not necessarily the best route or at times the easiest, but it's one set to give you a direction towards the finish line. The entire map is open from the start to the finish and you can choose to take as many side paths as you wish, as long as you don't mind starting repeatedly from the beginning or from checkpoints along the way after crashing left and right.

What I am saying is that it's happened to me plenty. Maybe you will find it easy, but I find some of the challenges really tough, even the beginner challenges. A lot of the unlocks are rather challenging as well, you really have to familiarize yourself with the trail, the normal paths, the other possible paths, etc., before you will be able to really make it through most of the challenges.

Also hidden on each trail is a rest spot that is off the beaten path that you will have to look around to find. These are rather rewarding to find, a fun little sub section of the game that you can really go after or ignore completely. These are a couple of the ones I have found so far. Don't worry, seeing the screenshots won't tell you how to get to them, no spoilers here.

Everything is in a fairly lo-poly appearance with still some nice touches to the important details. The really noticeable details are involved in the crashes. This game's cubic chunks of blood that spews out at random times are a definite sign that these attempts have ended in some form of disaster. Fortunately you can turn the blood on/off in the settings, and the game becomes really a fun and challenging downhill simulation game for audiences of all ages.

Leaderboards exist for each trail, globally, among friends, and different selective filters you can use. At the end of each run, as long as it's not your first time on that trail, you are given a statistical breakdown of how much time you spent for each segment and how you shuffled up and down these leaderboards based on your performance at each segment. Not worrying about timed-challenges and only running through carefully and casually with not so many crashes will unlock about 7 of the trails. You can also come back and play without a timer as if you are playing for the first time for any of these trails.

Anyway, enough rambling on my part, because this game is quite straight forward and is very fun. I have a video showing my first-look experience with this game, and dare I say, I did pretty poorly, so only watch it if you want to see what it looks like and perhaps what it feels like:

I played with a controller, which felt right. I know you can use keyboard and also mouse as well, from the settings. I have not used these and I don't know how well they work.

You have two settings for using the controller's joystick, you can turn left and right with the directions on the joystick, or you can use the joystick to aim for a relative direction on the screen. You should play around and see which works better for yourself.

Otherwise the controls are simple, there's a button for peddling, a button for breaking, and a button for sprinting/speed boost that uses up stamina that restores when you are not using that function.

Lo-poly appearance works really well, there is enough attention to detail where you need to have it for the game to feel really smooth with the general appearance.

This is played in 3rd person with the camera moving on its own accord without user control. It works fine, after you get used to it.

Music & Sounds
Part of playing this game is to take in the sights and sounds, just as if you are biking on a mountain trail, there's no music, just sounds from nature. Too bad you cannot smell the scents or to feel the wind rush by your face while playing this game.

This can be a very casual experience or a seriously challenging one, and as such and a game that's easy to pick up, it's definitely a potentially fun addition to anyone's library.

Base price is $19.99, and I am pretty sure that anyone who is going to go after all of the challenges and achievements will find that it's well worth the full price.

Conclusion
Lonely Mountains: Downhill is a really nice downhill cycling game with some serious challenges.

Even though you will need to take on the trail challenges to unlock the trails after the initial one available, you should be able to unlock about half of them just by playing carefully and casually. The others are locked behind timed challenges and will likely take a good number of trials down unconventional paths to unlock, but that's part of the fun of playing this game as well.

It's fun, casual, and offers a lot of replayability. I often find myself conflicted between the calming atmosphere and the stressful challenge that I am trying to take on. Sure, it's not a game for everyone, hardly anything is. At least the developers tried their best to make the game accessible and fun for everyone who takes the dive.

My only wish for change is to allow people to access all of the trails just by playing casually and not worrying about hitting timed goals.

Nevertheless, I am having a blast, I think you will too.

janner66 Oct 30, 2019 @ 9:12am
Thanks guys for the extra info :)
YQMaoski Oct 30, 2019 @ 7:29am
dk, I haven't managed to unlock any bikes yet, it is rather difficult to unlock even the first one beyond the default.
dk Oct 30, 2019 @ 7:25am
One thing to keep in mind that different bikes have different stats and are more suitable for certain challenges and tracks. You definitely won't be able to tackle some of the harder challenges on a starting bike. So it just boils down to: do as much as you can and move on to the next track and then come back later.

This game is fun and I recommend it too. It gets much much harder though but it is not as frustrating as Trials.
YQMaoski Oct 30, 2019 @ 7:19am
Wow, great questions, and I will answer them here and edit my review:
1. Leaderboards are there for every track and for at every checkpoint along each path. You actually see the shift up and down the leaderboard based on your segmental timed-breakdowns after the run is completed.
2. You can play casually without timed mode in the first available run on each track and can always come back to play it untimed any time. Otherwise, it will be timed after that each time.
3. You can unlock about 7 tracks I believe without worrying about timed challenges, thus casually, as long as you don't crash out too many times. This is reasonable and you become accustomed to the trails after a while.
janner66 Oct 30, 2019 @ 4:57am
Nice review. Are there any leaderboards? Can you choose to enter timed events on every track or is it just certain tracks that are timed? Can you complete every track in casual or will you eventually come across a timed track you must complete before continuing with the casual play?