Posted: Dec 14, 2018 @ 10:43pm

Insurgency: Sandstorm is really good. I am only able to offer an initial impression but I can tell how well it is made and how it would be really fun in an intense team-based strategic FPS situation with non-stop action. I have only played through the tutorial and a few local map scenarios with AI because I am incapable of playing FPS games to any serious degree with other players. So I will apologize in advance for my lack of experience and abilities.

Nevertheless, I find this game extremely enticing and if I had to find one game to get into multi-player FPS action in a team-based game, this is definitely one I would return to. So let me tell you a little bit about why I would say such things.

The realism achieved in this game is quite astounding. I had the game rendered at 4K 57-60 FPS at very high settings and all of the details look absolutely amazing, from the other on-screen characters, to the environmental objects, to the appearances of the explosions. The game looks like an first-person movie. Of course we expect certain separations from reality, just because it is a game, but when you are amid all of the action, everything looks so realistic.

Next part regarding the realistic nature are the sounds, and this might even be more impressive than the artwork and graphics. The gunshots, reverberations, explosions, and the ringing in the ears after being too close by to some unwanted action, etc. are all amazing. I definitely recommend playing this game with a nice set of headphones or nice speakers. Though I can also tell that this would be very much overwhelming for some people.

The game is set up for multiplayer team-based gameplay and can support up to 16 v 16 game modes, which would mean that anyone can join into a large fray and learn the different roles that one can take while playing such a game. The different roles means different loadouts and different tasks while playing, and so even if you are not good at one particular aspect, you can still join and make an impact in a larger game. This is probably the primary reason why I feel that I could get into this kind of game, knowing that I typically don't even play FPS games at all.

Controller and Keyboard + Mouse both work well, but you need to make sure your controller is not connected, otherwise on-screen prompts are all weird and only flash keyboard bindings but revert back to controller constantly.

Graphics and Sounds
Really awesome.

This game is a team-based FPS so really meant as a multiplayer game. Most people heading in already know this. Be ready to be in a lot of action and kill and be killed plenty. The theme, gameplay, and graphics may not be suitable for children.

I think the $30 USD base is a very good price, especially with the current post-launch discount. There is also a returning Insurgency player discount until March 2019.

Positives
+Realistic graphics and sounds
+Plenty of weapons and playing styles that can be suitable for most
+Would be quite fun in a live setting
+Sizable game modes supporting 16 v 16 matches

Negatives
-With a controller plugged in, the game only displayed controller prompts in tutorial. I had to unplug the controller.
-Optimization needs to be better. I was only able to run it well on a beast of a machine.

Conclusion
Insurgency: Sandstorm is quite awesome, if you have the right computer to run it. I am quite astounded by the sounds and graphics and feel rather sad that I am unable to play it to experience it to its full extent. You can call me a chicken, I don't mind. I hope to one day to really get into it myself. I think it's a wonderful game from what I have seen and would definitely recommend it.

MOO Dec 15, 2018 @ 11:45pm