Posted: Dec 14, 2018 @ 9:59pm
Updated: Dec 19, 2018 @ 10:27am

Anomalies really isn't your typical game on Steam. If you are looking for a game with a story, a purpose, or immersive gameplay, then stop right here. It's a fairly nice program for generating some random forms of artwork with varying degrees of symmetry and obeying certain rules of motion in space, coupled with some backgrounds to represent the vacuum in space.

Positives
+Neat generation of artwork
+Good degrees of freedom

Negatives
-Not really any explanation of what the different parameters will control
-Could benefit from real-time on-screen display changes with changes to the parameter, instead of needing to respawn each time
-Priced too high (Price is now set down to 0.99 USD)
-No 4K support, trying to pick this option led to program crashing when picking full-screen mode. When picking windowed mode, it sticks at 1080p window.

Other Thoughts
It's a good program to look at once in a while if you want to generate a funky looking graphical image, and I do like the range of freedom the user has been given.

There are some neat output images and potential wiggling motions to make a cool GIF or video.

But once again it's not your typical game, it's also perhaps priced a bit too high for doing only that.

I had no financial input into looking at this software because I received it for free through Curator Connect. But if I bought this for $4 base, I would be sure to refund it soon after purchase.

For that fact, I cannot really recommend that my friends and readers buy this or do much with it.

I did make a brief video of my looking into this program, you can see basically what it is and decide for yourself. I did have a good time looking at it for a few minutes, but I wouldn't necessarily buy it myself.

Developer response:
Schmidt Workshops  [developer] Posted: Dec 18, 2018 @ 1:22pm
I appreciate your detailed response, and thank you for altering your review after the price change.

While I cannot expect you or anyone to like Anomalies, I would like to present one additional piece of information.

The definition of "game" can vary according to context. When I set out, I would have agreed that Anomalies is not a game. I did not actually intend for it to be a game. However, when submitting it to Greenlight, I was forced to choose between "game" and "software." When looking at the sub-categories for software, however, I realized it did not match any of them either.

Software usually serves some purpose other than entertainment. At that point I went looking up the definition of "game."

Almost immedietly I came across this: "activity engaged in for diversion or amusement" in none other than Merriam-Webster https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/game

It is, in fact, the very first definition of the word "game" in that most authoritative lexicon of the English language.

I would agree, however, in warning people that it might not provide what they expect from the average game. For this reason, I call it "The Generative Art Game" and address this issue in the description itself.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, nor am I asking you to change your review in any way. I just want to provide this as an explanation of why I would persist in classifying Anomalies as a game.
YQMaoski Dec 19, 2018 @ 10:28am
@MKSchmidt, thank you for the explanation. It makes a lot of sense. I do like what you have going on here and I think it has potential to be used as a tool in another setting to get some meaningful use out of it by incorporating it into another product that more closely resembles what we would consider a game here on Steam. Though I do see that in that broader definition of the word "game" this would certainly apply. I have further modified my review to no longer say that this is not a game, but rather that it is not a typical game.