Posted: Aug 1 @ 11:44am

Feather is a casual and relaxing flight simulation game that is good for those moments after a long work day and wanting to decompress. To be sure you know what you are getting yourself into, please be aware that the game has, as per the store page, "no enemies, no combat, no threats, just peaceful flight."

The controls are very intuitive and work very smoothly. There is no learning curve needed. I played with a controller and everything felt right at home. I hopped in and started flying.

While it can be one thing to have no stress and no combat, it is quite another to not have any objectives at all. Thta is where this game is severely lacking after playing it for about 1/2 hour or so. All I have done is wander around the island, look at the scenery, listen to the music, and try to explore as much as I can. There are no in-game objectives, and there is only one achievement (for basically starting the game up).

In terms of using this game for merely relaxation and soothing the soul, it works very well. I made a gameplay video of me jumping into this game for the first time and then just wandering around for that half hour, you can find the video here:

I had a lot of fun exploring in this video, and I think the sights are absolutely wonderful. Yeah, the graphics could be better, but I think it's good enough for what it is. The music is all so relaxing, just to go with the intent of this game, so that's really very nice as well.

Looking at the reviews on the store page, most people haven't played for a whole hour, and that doesn't surprise me. Given that there is a single achievement that spontaneously unlocks and no other goals, most people would naturally redirect their attention elsewhere after playing once or twice. This is why having some more things to do in-game would be nice. The only thing I see is to fly into the different musical track regions' circular formations to have the music play.

I find it odd that you are not allowed to casually land on the ground, on rocks or on anything else. Instead, it counts as a collision and the game then backs up a certain amount based on the speed and type of collision. I wish I could land and do some other stuff instead of purely flying around.

Fly around and fly some more.

Very intuitive and easy to use. I used a controller that worked very well.

Nice art style, but there are a lot of repeating features. The island is split into several regions and in each region the trees tend to repeat.

Music
Pretty nice and relaxing soundtrack. You can change tracks any time by flying into one of the other circular soundtrack changing locations.

For anyone and everyone. It's easy to roam around and to play.

At $9.99 I really do think that the game should have some more objectives. The island is not too big but also not too small. There are enough regions to explore. But there is no other living creatures around as far as I can see. Having some more objectives would get people to replay this game more and to go after them. Then it would make the price more reasonable.

Conclusion
Feather is a really simple and casual flying simulator from the perspective of a bird with an island world that has a few distinct regions and is fairly unique to explore. Due to lack of in-game objectives and achievements, the game has fairly low replay value, especially because most people do not want to play something without a goal. It's perfectly fine to use to relax after a long work day for a few moments to decompress. The easy controls make it very much suitable for anyone in those circumstances. The price is a little high for those looking for an adventure because of the lack of things to accomplish in this game.

YQMaoski Aug 1 @ 5:56pm
It does feel somewhat strange when the only achievement in a game is triggered by any lack of effort. The polar opposite is the single achievement for Devil Daggers, it's practically impossible for most people.
garnetofeden Aug 1 @ 5:03pm
As someone who is very interested in 100% achievements, I still totally see your point in having more objectives. Even when working on achievements, it is nice to feel like there are in-game goals.
YQMaoski Aug 1 @ 1:49pm
Thank you! I guess not having any other objectives and achievements is good for achievement and 100% hunters. For me, I just want to spend a bit more time enjoying the game and still feel like there's a reason for it aside from relaxing. :D
janner66 Aug 1 @ 1:02pm
Good review. I definitely see your point about objectives and achievements. I think this would add some more layers to the gameplay rather than it being purely a flight sim.