Posted: Aug 9, 2018 @ 9:34am
Updated: Aug 9, 2018 @ 9:41am

Pinkman is a colorful, fast-paced, action platformer with a funny skill. What is that funny skill, you ask? Well, your main character is a pinkman who can fart to get a little extra distance or height on that jump. This fart is limited and after discharging, you will need to wait a little bit of time before it recharges.

The game features 100 levels, with progressively increasing difficulty by the different types of ways to die. The later levels introduce obstacles that are more difficult to step around, as well as tighter jumps and smaller spaces while offering less reaction time.

I usually do not compare games with each other, instead I prefer to talk about the merits of the game as it stands alone. However, this game has more than enough similarities to another that I cannot help but bring it up.

With that being said, if you have N++ (NPLUSPLUS) you have a pretty good idea of what this game is about. Though this game takes away some of the momentum, and does not let you die from falling too far. Otherwise this game is only 100 levels, whereas N++ has 4000+ levels. But then again, this game is 0.99 USD. If you already have N++, you are not getting much more with this game. But if you wanted to play something like N++ but didn't have the spare funds to purchase that one, you should get this one instead.

The game works well with XBox controller, you can move with the left stick and d-pad (yay!) and the four buttons on the right are A for jump, B for fart, X for zooming in and out, and Y for turning the music on/off. X is important if you want to plan out your track, as the game starts zoomed in and you sometimes can't tell where you are and where you want to go. This is especially important in the later levels so you can plan out your path given the more time-sensitive nature of these levels.

Overall, this a good game, and it was developed by one person. The responsive jumping controls of a platformer is an important aspect that is unfortunately put on the back burner of some newer games that focus on flashy visuals instead. This game plays very well with the controller and with the keyboard as well. (I did not play much on the keyboard, only to test it out.)

Like I said above, if you want to get a good feel for N++ but don't have the spare funds, you can start with this game and see. If you like this game and finish it, then crave for more, it will not be too late to move onto the other game, because that one offers a lot more gameplay. For 0.99 USD, this game is totally worth it, and there is just enough interesting variations to keep you going level after level, not to mention the easy to reset if you fail (the game actually does this for you).

As one of my friends pointed out (shout out to @Crimson-Albedo), that this game can have rather dramatic color changes every time you die. The sudden shift, depending on the random next palette that you get, may be a bit harsh on the eyes, and that's really one of the only negative things to say about this game. Perhaps when you die, your pink character sprite sometimes makes a really strange dying sound effect that just does not seem right, but that's more of a personal preference.