0.0 hrs last two weeks / 11.3 hrs on record (11.0 hrs at review time)
Posted: Oct 26 @ 12:14am
Updated: Oct 26 @ 12:15am

Indivisible is a beautifully designed game developed by Lab Zero Games and published by 505 Games. The developer team also made Skullgirls, so there are some style similarities in the characters' appearances and movements. In addition, there was never any doubt that this game would feature a female protagonist with a story centered around her that is gradually revealed throughout the game.

What really stands out with this game is its artwork, and I cannot stop myself from staring at all of the details in the foreground and background constantly. This is fine during the platforming sections, but I was so distracted initially before I got used to the game that I had some art-induced combat breakdowns that rarely occurred later on. This is definitely a good example of 2.5D artwork done very well. The environmental objects in the background are a bunch of 3D models and not flat 2D fancy art pieces. You can easily see the objects rotate in the background in the game's layered exhibitions to just look good. Everywhere you go, you can practically take a screenshot and easily convince yourself to use it as a desktop background, fine examples being these that I took:

Indivisible is very easy to pick up and the player is tasked mainly with exploration and getting used to the combat system. The overall design certainly makes it accessible to many audiences, though I would tell people who don't like timing-based button presses to step back from this game. The combat sequences as well as the platforming often requite fairly time-sensitive and sequential button presses.

There is a very simplistic upgrade system within this game that keeps the player focused on mastering the combat and getting used to the exploratory platforming in its metroidvania style of progression. The upgrades come from two different sources, one is finding particular gems called Ringsels and these can be used to upgrade the attack or defense of your entire party, while the other is simply exploring and finding additional party members who will join you in your quest.

Each character in your party, whether they are actively participating in combat or not, levels up along with the protagonist, so finding additional (optional) characters will provide a boost to the player's repertoire of skills in order to deploy in battle. Some people may opt for more of a power-based team, while others may choose one with an agility focus. Each character has three stats, HP, Attack, and Speed, and these do not change AFAIK. Some characters ever only target single enemies, while others have more AOE abilities. Some are clearly designed to be attack focused, while others act as interesting support characters with their unique abilities. The support cast is rather large, finding some of them can be a challenge, but in the end it's definitely worth trying out every character who gets added to your party.

Rather difficult 2D platforming with intermittent battles is how I would describe this game. It also certainly has a metroidvania component that requires the player to do some backtracking in order to reach newer heights, often literally.

Indivisible is a combination of 2D platforming and what closely resembles the active-time battle system from Final Fantasy games that also use a lot of time-sensitive and dependent button presses. As such, each of your active party characters (up to 4) is mapped to one of the buttons on the gamepad in the orientation of the controller buttons. Thus even though you can use a keyboard to play, I still highly recommend a controller.

I do see some negative reviews mentioning a certain amount of button mashing, and I definitely felt that things were really hectic in the beginning, trying to get used to the control scheme, but after playing for about 2.5 hours, I became more accustomed to the way the battle system handles, and I find that properly timed but not necessarily frantic button presses yield much better results. Now I play with very purposeful press of each button in combat and it does not feel like button mashing at all. And I am quite familiar with button mashing, because when I was younger and unable to appreciate properly timed button presses with a purpose, my favorite Tekken 3 character to play was Eddy Gordo.

I think i may have gushed a bit about it above with examples of environmental design of the game. Similarly, each character has plenty of animations and unique styles of movement, while standing or attacking, that you really feel that each one is crafted with plenty of care and attention to detail. This game definitely has some top-notch artwork. The introductory sequence was professionally done, created by Studio TRIGGER and Titmouse with music by Hiroki Kikuta. I wish the game had more sequences like it during the game, although that would have been perhaps economically too burdensome.

Music
As above, the music is composed by Kiroki Kikuta. It sounds amazing.

This game is platforming heavy and the combat involve time-sensitive button presses in the active-time battle system for both proper blocking and also to chain together large sequences of hits to make a lot of combat really satisfying. It's not for everyone, but I do think that many people can easily get into it.

Here's the hiccup for a lot of people, as $39.99 is a little on the higher end, and some people really want to get the same number of quality game hours as the dollar amount that they put in. I have not come anywhere near the end of the game after 11 hours, but I can see a lot of places that I would have to backtrack just to get those things I missed previously.

For people who are familiar with the constant backtracking style of game design in metroidvanias, this is often not a detriment, but for people who want to run along, see the whole story while experiencing the entirety of the game without needless running left and right, going through places previously explored, this might become a hindrance. In this game, it's not as much of a problem, because I don't think I can get enough of the artwork involved and running around this game is a rather pleasurable experience.

The production value of the game is high enough to warrant its asking price. Even if you don't think so, I still will strongly encourage you to check out the game when you find a satisfactory sale.

Gameplay Videos
I tried recording but found myself not being able to properly concentrate well enough to do what I wanted so I stopped after a short while. First video here:

Conclusion
Indivisible is a wonderful game, especially for me, as the game's strengths really fit me personally as a player. While the platforming can be messy at times and the game still needs some fine-tuning, the development team is working hard to correct many of the problematic parts quickly, with plenty of updates since release 2 weeks ago.

The combat system is very simple to get into and the characters that join up in your team really serve as a dynamic set that meets the needs of each in-game situation.

With such pleasant artwork and accompanying music, I do see myself playing this game through more than once in the future. (Time allowing)

Overall score: 9/10.

danacscott Nov 29 @ 6:54am
I've only watched streams, but I couldn't agree with ye more! Great review and plenty accurate.
Mz Cookies Oct 27 @ 2:59am