Posted: Oct 22, 2018 @ 2:19pm

Unepic is a RPG that mixes really great humor with straight-forward yet challenging platforming, in a metroidvania style that is heavily influenced by Dungeons & Dragons and other classic games as well.

The game is very large in scale, and beyond the main story there are plenty of optional side quests and some really brutally difficult challenges meant to challenge the players just a bit more, though often to the point of utter frustration and giving up instead of completing them.

All of the dialogue within the game are voice-acted in English, and the quality is rather well done. This is one of those games that you are likely to sit down and listen through all of the commentary, dialogues, etc. and allowing the full audio bytes to play out. The primary reason for this is that the humor found within this game is perhaps what speaks to me to the most, it is palpable within the dialogue, the names and actions of the NPCs, etc.

I have not made my way through the main game even once yet, because there is just so much to do. Plus there are ridiculous challenges that are hidden in the walls that give you Unepic credits with which you can obtain some pop-culture inspired items as well. These challenges are just frustrating most of the time.

The other thing that you have to do is go around with an everlasting lighter and light all of the candles, lamps, etc of the whole castle. Well, let me correct that, while it is not necessary to do, it certainly helps to illuminate the paths, especially when you retrace your paths.

There are plenty of gates within the game that you can find that all link to a central location, kind of serves as a portal-esque system that allows for fast-travel to anywhere in the game that you have already unlocked. This is very convenient and nice.

You can also teleport at any time back to the save game/heal site, even from in battle, so if your life is in danger, you can just zap you way out and instantly heal.

The action platforming is fairly solid in this game, though having played some more moder action platforming games, how I miss the ability to block enemy fire or to roll safely past them. This is not something built into this game. And I think it's unfair for me to make heavy comparisons, so I won't go any beyond that.

For once, this is an RPG where you don't have to worry too much about your inventory size, which is fairly large. If you are a pack rat you will still fill it up, and may need to drop/sell some items later on, but it hardly ever interferes with your gameplay. Also you 12 quick-switch slots built into the gamepad controls, which is fantastic.

Other degrees of freedom are within the leveling up stat-point distribution for the game. You get some points to distribute however you wish each level, so you can customize your character to be rather different each time you decide to make your way through the castle.

Game controls are designed well for Keyboard as well as Gamepad. The gamepad settings display Playstation controller scheme, but the corresponding buttons on an XBox controller work just fine as well.

Graphics and Music
Nice 2D graphics with pretty interesting and well-done animations. The level designs are themed in the different zones of the castle, so if you stay in one location for an extended period of time, the surroundings start to look a bit monotonous.

The zoomed out appearance takes a little time to get used to, you can toggle a slightly more zoomed-in look, but it doesn't change the way the game feels on the screen. It's neither good nor bad, just its own way of being.

The music is pretty nice, and the sound effects are appropriate for a game of this appearance.

The humor, language, and even cartoony pixelated 2D art content may sometimes suggest mature audiences only.

Pretty reasonable for a game of this size and scope. The castle is sizeable and there are a lot of chellenges that could keep someone busy and frustrated for many hours or even days.

Conclusion
Unepic is a unique blend of D&D and game/pop culture-inspired RPG in a metroidvania platforming style and progression. The end result is a game that could occupy a player for many hours or even days. Compounding the large world is the humor present and that gives the game an individual character and personality that is hard to find among similar games. While the platforming could be better, it works fine enough for this game. The flexibilities found within character progression and customization along with control shortcut schemes allows for a lot of variability for a player to decide what the right style is for him or herself. I would give this game a 8/10.
YQMaoski Oct 25, 2018 @ 1:25pm
LOL! I got caught red-handed... I have a big pile of unused points and a section that I am dying too quickly in. I am probably going to go distribute those points and see if I can have a better non-dying time. :P
x-st Oct 25, 2018 @ 12:47pm
Or you can not customise him and think about all the ways you could do so!
asirmi Oct 23, 2018 @ 2:04am