Posted: Nov 8, 2020 @ 9:14am

Mixx Island is a run-n-gun "boss-rush" shooter that you can only avoid enemy fire by slide-dodging or deploying a shield. There are no other enemies and only the "boss" of the level. It gets repetitive quite fast and the game is not very long over all.

There's no story and no explanation other than that you need to basically get past the boss to the end of each level. You will get a choice of upgrades to your stats after beating each boss. And you will also occasionally run into a coffee-shop of sorts to give you a freebie upgrade. After that, it's move onto the next level and repeat.

The enemy fire comes in multiple forms, physical and magic, some you can dodge through, others you have to deploy your shield. You can deploy your shield for 3 seconds only by using your special attack or grenade. Enemy fire comes rather rapidly later on.

The explosions are flashy, a bit too flashy that it hurts the eyes and obstructs visuals. You can only slide-dodge in interval distances and so it's easy to get caught up in enemy fire. There's not a lot of explanation as to what's going on, so it's a confusing mess.

Furthermore, I cannot tell the difference between this game and the other ones that came before. It seems to be just the same game with a different skin. There's been Odd Island, Soul Island, Red Island, Snow Island, Mini Island, Mini Island: Night, Rain Island, Pink Island, Day Island, Star Island, and now Mixx Island. They all look like the exact same game, how is this okay?

Works decently with both controller and keyboard.

Visuals are pretty nice, to be honest, the artwork looks pretty cool. The explosions are blinding though and make it really difficult to see at times.

Music & Sounds
Not much music, the sound effects get really repetitive after a while. There seems to be a setting to flip a switch for gun sounds at times in between some levels, I tried do that and there's no change that I can see.

I am not sure, but not for me.

It's a low-priced item, but it sure smells like an effortless asset flip. Not really worth it for the time, the game play gets kind of old quickly.

Conclusion
A repetitive asset-flip boss-rush side-scrolling shooter with nice visuals but too flashy explosions that obstruct the actual gameplay. Gets dull quite fast in terms of repetition.

Not really worth your time.

AviaRa Nov 8, 2020 @ 9:08pm
That!s kinda a shame, as the visuals are truly really good (despite the annoying flashing you mention), especially considering the price.
Thanks for the review!
YQMaoski Nov 8, 2020 @ 10:32am
@janner66, money better spent elsewhere for sure. I only did not know about the other games until I tried this one. But for sure, you try one, you have seen them all. not worthwhile.

@FruitNDoggie, yeah, for sure. There was probably no effort in making this game at all.
FruitNDoggie Nov 8, 2020 @ 10:07am
What a poor job at making a game.
janner66 Nov 8, 2020 @ 10:01am
I think the visuals are the star of this show. It is quite cheap but I'd rather put the £2 towards a better game TBH.

Thanks for the review.