Posted: Dec 5, 2020 @ 12:03pm

Couplinked gives players a challenge that's perhaps not too welcoming. It's a single action indie game where you control two different rings connected by a stretched lightening rope, and you move them around to collect the rings on the screen. It's out now in Early Access.

The campaign merely serves as a tutorial/practice set up for the game, as there is an Easy, Very Easy, and Hard set of the same levels, just moving in adjusted speeds. Once you think you get used to the campaign, you can move on to survival mode, which makes it basically an infinite runner game with really silly controls and is too difficult for me.

You will need to collect the cyan and blue rings that come across the screen from the right side, and you need to use the properly colored ring that you are controlling. You cannot let them get off the screen and you cannot touch any red circles. You also have to keep the red circle from touching the rope between your two rings.

You can play the game using the keyboard, with two hands on the keyboard, each to move the respective ring around, or you can play with a controller using the two joysticks. I find that the controller is much more intuitive, but you quickly have to move the rings around each other relative positioning, and it jumbles my brain a little too much, especially with the split rings that you have to keep proper forward/backwards positioning. My hand-eye coordination is just not good enough.

Simple and bland, gets old pretty quickly. No V-sync.

Music & Sounds
Meh, it's not bad, just feels like the same tones/tunes are short and start getting loopy before long.

Hardcore rage-quitter wannabes, check out this game. Otherwise, if you truly think you can conquer this ridiculous brain-jumbling game with its strange controls and simple objective.

$0.99 is the cheapest game you can get on Steam shy of it being F2P. So can't really complain about the price. The plan is to increase the price after Early Access.

Positives
+Works well with controller.
+Difficult, if that's what you are looking for.
+Level editor present.

Negatives
-Too difficult for me.
-No V-Sync.
-Not much variance on the single-action, the bland looks start to wear thin after a short while.
-No online leaderboards for a score chaser.
-Lacking a fun factor.
-Too much of a rage factor.

Conclusion
Couplinked is a single-action twin-stick score-chasing runner that gets old pretty quickly and is too difficult for a casual gamer like me. I do not recommend it unless you are looking to become a professional rage-quitter.

YQMaoski Dec 9, 2020 @ 8:19am
It's just not fun at all, easy to put down.
AviaRa Dec 9, 2020 @ 2:24am
It seems like an atrocious title, considering how little time you spent on it.
Thanks for the review!
YQMaoski Dec 5, 2020 @ 1:35pm
Correct, it just gives you a false sense of security if you play the campaign on easy and then think you can take on survival mode. It's definitely a game I can spend time to get better at, but I find it not fun and not worth spending the time to do that.
janner66 Dec 5, 2020 @ 1:32pm
I see. The difficulty doesn't really matter because it doesn't change the fact that the game is still not fun to play.
YQMaoski Dec 5, 2020 @ 1:00pm
You are welcome. :-)

Survival mode only has a single difficulty, the other difficulties just slow down the movement of the items across the screen in the campaign levels. Easy is a lot easier, and Very Easy is too slow. You should be able to play through and get used to the controls on Easy if Hard is too hard, but I found it to be kind of pointless after playing about 15 levels.
janner66 Dec 5, 2020 @ 12:41pm
Thanks for the review.

Is it still difficult on easy difficulty?
YQMaoski Dec 5, 2020 @ 12:34pm
@FruitNDoggie, absolutely, no fun at all.

@aquatorrent, you are welcome.
aquatorrent Dec 5, 2020 @ 12:21pm
Thanks! I don't like playing difficult games nowadays so i'll avoid this one.
FruitNDoggie Dec 5, 2020 @ 12:20pm
I sort of get the idea for the game, but as you say, where's the fun in it?