0.0 hrs last two weeks / 6.0 hrs on record (3.9 hrs at review time)
Posted: Oct 20, 2020 @ 4:41am
Updated: Oct 20, 2020 @ 5:25am

Tsuro - The Game of The Path is the digital adaptation of the physical board game that is so calm and relaxing, and now you can enjoy it on PC while social distancing as well. Since digital games allow for some alternative rules that are less practical in physical form, there are a couple of extra rule sets/game modes that are here that were not in the original board game. In addition, there is a more panic-laden Fuse mode for those who want to get a bit more excitement in the solo-play environment.

Some Gameplay and My Thoughts
If you wanted to see this game in action instead of reading about it, feel free to check out this video:

The Setup and Basics
You start with a 6x6 square board, and 2 starting locations per square along the outer perimeter, with the game allowing for up to 8 players. You start with 3 tiles and can place any one in front of your stone/piece and move it along the path outlined by the tile. Each tile has the same 8 exits, 2 on each side, but the path within is different from one to the next. The goal is to keep your own stone/piece on the board while eliminating opponents by driving them off the board or into each other. Take turns until the game is finished.

The actual learning in this game takes almost no time. Despite that, there is an interactive tutorial to get you started. You will improve with time in terms of strategy and planning ahead, but mostly the thinking happens as you play, based on the limitations of your 3 (or fewer) tiles to play.

Additional Rule Sets
Aside from the game's traditional goal, you can also play to see who has the longest path in the game, or see who can achieve the most loops--a loop is defined by a stone crossing over its own path at any previous location.

While the original board game is intended for 2-8 players, inevitably this tile-based no-pressure board game also has been fitted for a single-player option without AI in the solo mode where you just try your best to achieve the longest path before the game is over. The game also counts how many loops you make and how many tiles you use.

There is also a mode that's less casual and quite a bit more exciting for those people who want to see how they do under a time constraint in the Fuse mode. This is only in solo play and you can turn it on by clicking the bomb that shows up after you have placed only one stone on the board. Essentially the game starts lighting up your stone's traveled path like a fuse and it's game over if it catches up to you. This is pretty frantic and nerve wracking, but I got some enjoyment out of it trying to beat my own high scores. This particular aspect of the game is fun but definitely not for everyone.

The board looks really nice, the different stone paths are traced out in their respective colors, giving the board a lively look during every game. There's nothing too exciting, but it's a board game after all.

Music & Sounds
Very zen and relaxing music, lovely to listen to. There are only a few sound effects, but seem to be enough incorporated to give the game some more life.

Anyone who enjoys board games and also puzzle games will likely have a great deal of fun with this game.

Base price is $9.99 / €7.99 / £6.99 and the launch discount of 25% off is very reasonable. For comparison sake, you may wish to know that the physical board game costs around $30.

Positives
+Excellent game design
+Solo play without AI is fun by itself
+Single-player mode with AI offers decent challenges
+Easy to pick how many AI opponents and relative difficulty
+Online multiplayer
+Very easy to learn
+Digital game offers additional game modes that are less practical than the physical version
+Personal stat tracking
+Online leaderboards
+Passionate, friendly, and responsive developer
+Achievements act as goals/tasks to complete, some are quite difficult\
+Turbo mode to save time

Negatives
-There are times when the tiles hide the planned path rendering due to perspective, and there is no way to change the perspective. You can click and drag the board to see briefly, but not during planned path rendering, and the view quickly reverts back. (The developer is working on making this better.)
-Not a whole lot, truly.

Conclusion
Tsuro - The Game of The Path is a lot of fun and can be enjoyed by anyone who likes board games and puzzles. The additional game modes that are beyond the original rules of the board game add more variety to this easy-to-learn game. Play against friends locally or online. The solo modes are also enjoyable. Unlimited replayability and definitely worth checking out.

AviaRa Oct 21, 2020 @ 3:02am
Never heard of this one, but it sounds like an interesting concept.
Thanks for the great read!
janner66 Oct 20, 2020 @ 2:28pm
:bbtcat:
YQMaoski Oct 20, 2020 @ 7:39am
I hadn't heard of the actual board game until I saw this on Steam. I am probably going to end up buying the physical game to play with family.
FruitNDoggie Oct 20, 2020 @ 7:28am
Oh, it's a board game. Wouldn't have guessed that.
YQMaoski Oct 20, 2020 @ 7:25am
@yoshirules, thank you!

@Thunderbox, you are welcome, and I will definitely be spending more time with this game! :-)
Thunderbox  [developer] Oct 20, 2020 @ 6:18am
Thanks for the thorough review! We're thrilled to hear you enjoyed the game! :steamhappy:
yoshirules Oct 20, 2020 @ 4:50am
Good review :os_niko: I agree nice game!