0.0 hrs last two weeks / 4.3 hrs on record (1.2 hrs at review time)
Posted: Nov 14, 2020 @ 3:38pm
Updated: Nov 27, 2020 @ 2:12pm

Gronions is a 3rd person/1st person shooter platformer with base defense elements that is mediocre at best. The current version needs a lot of work, and I am really not impressed after trying it out for about an hour. It has seen a good amount of improvements in terms of technical improvements since my initial review, but the game still feels a bit dry, lacking.

The Campaign leads you down the path to some nearby planets with the missions involving dealing with particular threats. The game has a brief tutorial in the beginning to tell you what's going on, with some brief explanations of the mechanics. Then you are off on your missions.

You have a space pod that you can use to travel to various locations/planets/asteroids and your goal is to fulfill your missions, gain resources, etc. There's not a whole lot going on here, just continual shooting and dealing with threats, while collecting resources that are required to fire your weapon or to travel, etc. You can fire at enemy battleships to destroy them in order to gain resources as well.

There are a couple more modes: Frenzy being just a complete base-defense style game involving you surviving for as long as possible; then there's the Odyssey mode, behind a DLC, that takes you out for an infinite space battle in your pod.

You can die in this game, with a limited health, and when you die, you respawn back on your home base, and you can go back to your mission from there. I cannot see if there's any detriment to your game after you die and respawn. You keep your resources gathered, and your weapon and space pod use resources to use, you just revive keeping those stats.

Controller works okay but this game is definitely made with KB+M in mind, which is what I used. The movement involves reduced Gs in space-gravity, so your jumps will take longer to take off and to land. On-ground controls work pretty much, until you get onto a space rock and try to walk to the underside of it, then the camera follow gets all messed up and movement becomes difficult to deal with. (This is somewhat better.) Space pod movements are simple, there's no physics involved, you can instantaneously change directions and your goal is either to travel around from place to place, or to destroy random ships, who will all attack you.

Nothing too exciting about the graphics, there are a few different environments, but they do not affect your character's movements.

Music & Sounds
[strike/You can hardly notice that there's music at all, it just cuts out at random places. Sound effects are also lacking, making the movement and fighting kind of dull.[/strike] The sound effects have been greatly improved, the music is okay, nothing too exciting, but the way it sounds has improved quite a bit.

The price seems really way too high for the game. Base price of $24.99 should yield a good finished product that's fun to play. The game content is there, you are moving mission to mission. As for whether it's fun, I am having a hard time enjoying it.

What Needs Improvement
-No Vsync, GPU goes into overdrive. (fixed)
-Poor optimization, loading screen takes way too long for what is expected, location transitions feel jarring. (significantly improved loading times and transitions)
-Better movement controls and camera follow are needed, especially when walking to the underside of a space rock.(removed)
-The game feels rather dull, with fairly unengaging combat, this is the crux of the game, but isn't enough to capture the player's interest. (Unfortunately the game's overall quality is still not great to capture the audience's interest.)
-Needs better music and sound effects to make the shooting aspect more satisfying.(improved)
-Environment objects often get in the way mid combat, making it difficult to see enemies.
-Priced way too high for the content.

Conclusion
Gronions has seen some improvements since my initial review, but the overall game content is still rather poor at holding player interest. It still lacks enough of a fun factor.

I would not recommend it at this time.

YQMaoski Nov 15, 2020 @ 5:30am
The developer let me know that he will work on making it better, so I will probably revisit it at a later stage. Thanks for reading everyone!
janner66 Nov 15, 2020 @ 12:00am
Yeah definitely sounds like it should still be in EA. It only does them harm when they release it with so many issues.

Thanks for the review.
AviaRa Nov 14, 2020 @ 10:50pm
It sounds kinda meh. At elast I don't see a reason why bother with it for now.
Thanks for the review!
aquatorrent Nov 14, 2020 @ 8:36pm
Thanks for the review! I'll be sure to avoid this one.
FruitNDoggie Nov 14, 2020 @ 4:17pm
That price is spit take worthy.