Posted: Nov 27, 2020 @ 3:09pm
Updated: Nov 27, 2020 @ 3:11pm

Lynn , The Girl Drawn On Puzzles is a story-driven puzzle game with really good artwork, traditional-style music, and well-crafted puzzles. The game is made by a Korean team (or so I think) and the themes and motifs reflect a traditional Asian style.

The game is separated into the main story, a side story, and a much-easier chipmunk section. In these different sections, they are then separated into different chapters, each chapter with 9 stages and a newly introduced mechanic.

The story follows the girl Lynn, who went on a mission to save her brother's illness by trying to find the legendary nine-tailed fox. She went to the house where the supposed fox lived, but ended up only finding the fox's diary. By reading, she is taken into the pages of the book where she needs to solve the puzzles to get out.

The story progress every few levels, not just in between chapters, so you can expect any level to start with another part of the narrated story. And the story is quite well done, with the beautiful accompanying brush-style painting plates. Each level you need to get Lynn to the exit, and each chapter, the puzzles get a bit more complex, but the basic requirement for moving on stays the same.

While you can make your way through the levels by doing a lot of trial and error, there's a lot of thinking involved if you want to obtain enough orbs (effectively 3 stars per level) because of limited number of moves. If you use more than the moves needed for 3 stars, you will get some more to get 2 stars. Finally, you can get 1 star if you beat the level at all after more than those moves. (This does not apply to the chipmunk levels, which are simpler and do not involve any limitations on moves.)

There is a counter in the top right of the screen showing you how many moves you have remaining before you lose the next orb. The count down is kind of odd as by the time it shows 1, you actually have no more moves. Because the next move, even if it solves the puzzle, will make you lose an orb. These numbers are not displayed in Roman numerals, so some people may have trouble interpreting. But at least you can know easily that 1 is just a horizontal single line.

There are a good number of puzzles within the game, over 100 levels and the increased complexity do gradually increase the difficulty as well, especially if you are trying to achieve more orbs. The gradual increase in difficult is just right, in my opinion.

If you want to see what the game looks and sounds like, here's my first-look video:

Simple-concept levels of getting Lynn from point A to point B with progressively increasing difficulty and complexity of the levels. Use the most efficient paths to achieve the most orbs. Game is played in a turn-based fashion. There are ways to fail, because there are monsters who will come after Lynn if given the opportunity.

You will have a choice of different methods involving Mouse or Keyboard + Mouse to alter the way to tackle these puzzles, as evidenced by the screenshot below. You are prompted launching the game the first time and after that, you can change whenever you want to. (I used the Click + Drag, left side option.)

Calligraphy brush-style artwork that's representative of the traditional art form in Asia.

Music & Sounds
Traditional sounding music that's pleasant to listen to. The dialogue and narrative tests in the story sequences are narrated aloud in Korean, with corresponding subtitles.

Anyway who enjoys puzzles or who likes traditional Asian art or music would have a good time with this game, for sure.

Pricing is very good. At $7.99 base price, it's easy to put in that much for the progressive complexity of the puzzles, the story, the artwork, the music, and the quality of the game that's put together.

Positives
+Well-made puzzles with a good learning curve and increasing complexity, with an easy-to-understand fundamental concept and goal.
+Excellent artwork.
+Good music and Korean vocal narrations.
+Decent length for a puzzle game.
+Fun to play.
+Chipmunk mode for an easier and relaxing time.
+Easy controls and it's nice having those different option schemes.

Negatives
-The numeric representation for the countdown might be difficult for some people to understand.
-Counting down to 1 actually meaning 0 moves remaining before losing another orb is mentally confusing, even after coming to realize it.
-Minor bugs that lead to soft locks, not always reproducible, so restarting a level will often fix it.

Conclusion
Lynn , The Girl Drawn On Puzzles is a really fun puzzle game with an engaging story, progressively increasing difficulty and complexity of puzzles, all put together with high production value art and music to create a fantastic gaming experience. Its easy accessibility with the simple fundamental concept of the puzzles makes it quick for anyone to pick up. If you think you are going to like this game, you probably will.

Score: 8/10

YQMaoski Dec 15, 2020 @ 8:22pm
@lampycat, thank you very much! :-)
lampycat Dec 15, 2020 @ 4:28pm
Very helpful review! :heart_abs: I rated and gave the reward :)
drugoja Dec 2, 2020 @ 1:07pm
Oh this looks so good :yetuhappy: Didn't know about this game. Thanks for reviewing it :)
AviaRa Nov 27, 2020 @ 11:08pm
It truly looks amazing. This might be another puzzle game I might actually enjoy, thanks!
YQMaoski Nov 27, 2020 @ 7:53pm
Me too, felt nice to pick the one most suitable for myself.
FruitNDoggie Nov 27, 2020 @ 7:51pm
I like the options available for the controls.
YQMaoski Nov 27, 2020 @ 5:26pm
I don't blame you, the artwork is beautiful in this game. :-)
Godot Nov 27, 2020 @ 3:48pm
I am falling in love with the art direction.