Posted: Jun 20, 2019 @ 7:38pm

198X takes an arcade game time capsule from the 1980s and brings it to life through superb pixel art, awesome music, and amazing story-telling. Sure, it might be short overall, with completion time anywhere around 1.5-2 hours estimated, but the experience is quite a blast.

Take a trip down memory lane with very (and I mean very) forgiving retro-style (look, feel, the whole deal) arcade games recreated with so much love and attention found within this title. The game recreates five different styles of games with a really unique and fun gameplay element in each one, so no wonder this game claims to not just be this or that, in its really enticing trailer.

Despite all of this, what brings the game alive is the story-telling that fuses the empty space in between the games. The many threads of reality that are recreated in the 1980s style can be applied to any era and would have appropriate meaning. Inevitably the creative mastermind behind all of this had some irreplaceable feelings from yesteryear to generate such a palpable atmosphere that persists through the piece.

You will quickly find from people who write reviews on this piece that it will only last about 2 hours in length. It took me about 2 hours and a friend a little under an hour and a half. I ran into a few roadblocks that had me repeating a few things, and that's why it took me so long. Keep in mind those potential spoilers, I recorded myself playing for more than an hour, and the video is almost the entirety of the game itself.

You can find the video here:

I find it incredibly difficult to part ways with this work after only about 2 hours. Yes, I wish the arcade sequences were lengthier and have more substance, I find myself rather satisfied with what is already there. I wish the storytelling had gone on for longer, with more narrative, involving even more respective inspection. Perhaps I am asking for too much, because this game is already deep enough. Just the short duration makes me crave more.

Not going into more details, I definitely think that this game is worth your time. Every detail is worth mentioning, yet I hope that you experience it for yourself.

Controller worked perfectly fine. I see the store page says partial support, but I played through the whole thing with it.

Fantastic pixel art with some really nice animations. Everything looks so good.

Music
Outstanding OST, there are so many tracks fit into such a short time frame.

Well, look at screenshots and watch the trailer, you will know if it's for you.

9.99 USD/Euro will sometimes get you a lot more game time, but the experience of this game is unique and worth your money and time.

Conclusion
198X is such a wonderful experience, my only regret is that it's so short. I really want more of everything that's in this game. The store page advertises this as part 1 of the arcade epic. I am unsure whether or not this means that there's more to come, but I can definitely hope for it.