Posted: Nov 7, 2020 @ 11:24am

Some mobile ports can be just as fun on a PC through a larger screen.

REKT! High Octane Stunts puts simple controls into your hands to generate large series of impressive stunts with coupled with highly-dampened vehicles. In short spurts, you will experience physics-defying and death-eluding cars flipping around in midair. Limited by a countdown clock, you need to do your tricks, string them together before your combo ends, and also collect the additional clocks for added time to fully maximize your score. It's like playing the Tony Hawk's games with cars.

You will be given one vehicle to start and one arena to drive and to jump around in. You will have objectives given to you in sets of 3s so that you can try to achieve them and earn some in-game currency, which can be then used to unlock 3 other arenas, and you can also use the currency to upgrade your cars. The objective coin awards are also multiplied by the number of them you achieve. If you get 1 out 3, you only get the coins for that one. If you get 3 out of 3, you get all of the coins multiplied by 3. (There is also an fifth arena that seems to be locked away under a DLC that's not yet available for purchase as of writing. But you can see it in-game when making your selections.)

There are 53 total cars/vehicles that you can have. Some are unlocked through cumulative point totals that will just unlock by playing, while the others are unlocked through in-game accomplishments, such as score a certain amount in a run, or finding an object, jumping through all of the hoops, etc. You can also play an in-game spin-the-wheel gambling game with your in-game currency to try to win a car or money. (There's an issue with the gambling game, I sometimes land on a darkened car-shadow, and it says I won, but it doesn't show up in my cars page.)

The stunts are easy to pull off and I have been using a controller, which works well. You just push on the right joystick to spin left or right, or to do back or front flips. To do barrel rolls, you can use the shoulder buttons. You can also stabilize the card midair to prepare for a landing. You will be given points also for drifting or doing other special tricks with the arena's environment. There will be time to string tricks together for extra combo points and multipliers, leading to some potentially high scores. If you just drive per routine for a few seconds, your combo will end and that score will get added to the total. It's a simple risk-reward system, you can try to string together many stunts, jumps, spins, etc., but if you crash before your score is tallied, you lose everything.

Fortunately crashing is just part of the game, it's going to happen. If you know you got a high score and just want to take that score, you can just stop doing stunts until your score is added and then you won't have to worry. But of course you lose the multiplier and will have to build it back up. It's an arcade-style game, you will never crash and destroy your vehicle so that it's unusable before the time is up. Or at least I think so. I tried crashing and destroying a couple of cars in practice mode, and could still drive them super smashed up.

The physics is quite good, the jumps and landings feel smooth. The cars tilting based on weight distributions prior to jumps seem proper. The only things that don't make sense from a physics perspective is your ability to willy-nilly do spins and tricks mid-air or to stablize. But that feels totally fine as well. Nothing feels awkward playing this game.

So as I mentioned at the very beginning, this is a mobile port. You can find the game for cheaper on the Apple App store or free on the Google Play store, but with in-app purchases. There is a free demo here on Steam for people who are interested to try it out as well. So you might as well give it a go if you think you might enjoy it. The game runs well and seems to be a decent port altogether. It looks nice on a bigger PC monitor compared to the mobile screen.

Do tricks, string combos together, gather clocks for more time and land to properly secure high scores. Unlock new cars and arenas through playing instead of in-app purchases. Only one arena as of right now seeminly planned for a DLC addition (not yet available). Online leaderboards will allow you to see the impossibly high scores some people get, but you can also track your own progress in the stats. Each arena will throw objects at you (3 per run) to complete and to collect the coins to use in-game.

There is also a party mode involving local MP that I did not try out, but seems like it could be fun, for 2-4 players.

Controller recommended. Keyboard works fine too.

Not very complex but good enough. It works well for the different cars/arenas and how they interact with each other. The cars and environment details look fine as is.

Music & Sounds
The music might get a little repetitive, the sound effects work fine. For me, I can play this game in short spurts, so the music doesn't bother me.

For people who want to play with easy-to-control stunt cars doing crazy stuff and to try to achieve high combos and high scores within a time limit.

Base price is $5.99, and launch sale reduces it by 20% right now. Pretty reasonable price for all of the cars you can unlock through playing and the 4 arenas to do stunts in. I know it's more expensive at baseline than on the mobile platforms, but the unlocked content seems to be more without shelling out extra real cash. It's the same price as PC on Nintendo Switch

Areas to Improve
1. The spin-the-wheel lottery system doesn't always give the reward it promises.
2. Repetitive music (could use some more tracks or less continuous beat looping).
3. Gameplay will seem a bit repetitive after a while--even though there are so many cars and they react bit differently from each other, they don't feel significantly different enough; the game could also use more maps/areans.

Conclusion
REKT! High Octane Stunts is quite fun, especially in short sessions trying to chase after some high scores. It seems like it would be quite fun with friends in party mode as well up to 4 players. There's good physics and the controls are easy to get used to. Overall quite a nice game.

It does have flaws, the biggest thing that stands out is seemingly the lack of variety after a while. The game's many different unlockable cars do seem to react relatively similarly to each other, with minor tweaks, when it comes to moving around the environment. More arenas to play in would be nice also.

But it's fairly cheap for what promises to be a good time. I did have a good time as well.

Overall score: 7/10.

YQMaoski Nov 12, 2020 @ 8:55am
Thanks for reading, and I agree with the things you brought up as well. I do hope that it gets some improvements to make it a lasting game. It has potential.
Sermike Nov 12, 2020 @ 8:50am
A very nice and detailed review, just reviewed the game and it just about gets a positive rating for me, your "Areas to improve section" really give so more very good arguments that I forgot to mention in my review, it is a decent game lets hope it works out.
YQMaoski Nov 8, 2020 @ 9:28am
I see a few odd vehicle silhouettes in the lists, one looks like a jet instead of a car, but it's rather difficult to unlock. I am curious as to what that will eventually look like. I probably will end up watching someone else do it on stream or recording. If they open it up to the community to allow customization of vehicles and maps, that would be great.
AviaRa Nov 7, 2020 @ 10:45pm
To me it sounds like that kind of the game you play only once, have a good time, and then never return to it again. Which is not bad per se. Well, the main issue I see, and you mentioned it, is that while the game offers a lot of vehicles, they don't feel that much different from each other. Maybe they should've created fewer but more unique vehicles.
Thanks for the review!
YQMaoski Nov 7, 2020 @ 2:22pm
Thanks, I think the level designs are really not too complex. They should make a level editor and add to it so that the community can add to the maps. But definitely priced well, so no real complaints there.
janner66 Nov 7, 2020 @ 2:04pm
Nice review. I can see this would be a lot of fun for a while at least but replayability may be an issue. I think it is fairly priced though for the amount of hours you will probably get out of it.
YQMaoski Nov 7, 2020 @ 12:21pm
Agreed, different locals both maps and also scenery would help.
FruitNDoggie Nov 7, 2020 @ 11:50am
Yeah, more places to zoom around in does help driving games a lot.