Posted: Oct 12, 2019 @ 6:18am

Pilgrims is a short card-based humorous adventure game that is a lot of fun. Even with some replay value, the game can be considered too short to many, so be warned. However, it's definitely another indie gem by Amanita Design that is worth your time and attention.

You click around an overworld map to visit the few locations of interest in this game. You obtain items and make friends who then become part of your card list--including your main/base character. These cards are then used to solve/resolve puzzles and conflicts at these various locations so that you can progress the story along.

Of course the story is however you want to imagine it in your own head, as everything is in the art and sounds without any speech or text. It's pretty easy to string together a story from your own imagination, although the prompts on screen are quite obvious. How you come to realize what you must do is entirely on your own, and there's going to be some trial and error, often with some more funny outcomes.

The game is designed to have some replay value, as there are certainly many missable achievements, although I think that if you have a guide in front of you and you go through all of the motions, you can probably get almost all of them in one go. But that kind of defeats the purpose of the game, and being as short as it is, you really want to just play on your own and make those discoveries by yourself.

After playing through once, and if you want to get all achievements, then maybe using a guide is a feasible solution, though I still recommend that you do the exploring on your own. For me the game lasted less than an hour for a single play through, and I managed to get 21/45 achievements. I think some of the others would take a creative mind and some thoughtful playthroughs, making this game a bit longer if you were doing it on your own.

What's the harm in trying it out for yourself? None at all, there's not even a possible way to fail in this game, as far as I can tell.

Mouse is all you need. The game does have gamepad support, but I did not try out this feature.

Nice hand-drawn artwork. It might take you a few moments to get used to the style of the art, but it certainly has a look of a children's story book. I personally found the art to be really fun to look at. And the animations are really well done and quite funny.

Music
The music is okay, nothing outstanding. There's a slide bar for sounds, so you can turn it down if you don't want to hear it.

For everyone. Even the more mature themed puzzles and plot developments are dampened by the completely non-suggestive art style and the casual way that the humor masked everything. I think this game has something to offer any player. It is a very casual experience though, as there is no such thing as failure in this game.

$4.99 US is pretty reasonable base price. Too bad there's no regional pricing for UK and EU, so you will be paying a bit more from these locations. The game is short, so of course people are going to complain about the price. But it's the price you pay for the art, the story, and the humor. I think it's worth it.

My First-Look Video (and Play Through/SPOILER ALERT!)

Conclusion
Pilgrims is a lot of fun and good for all ages. Beautiful hand-drawn art, card-based puzzle-solving, and the significant humor offered come together to form this indie gem that is absolutely worth your attention.

YQMaoski Oct 12, 2019 @ 9:04am
You are welcome. :D Appreciate the support!
janner66 Oct 12, 2019 @ 8:37am