0.0 hrs last two weeks / 1.1 hrs on record (1.1 hrs at review time)
Posted: Oct 30, 2019 @ 9:47pm
Updated: Oct 31, 2019 @ 10:19pm

Deathless Dungeon is another rage-inducing retro-styled difficult platformer that uses left, right, and a uniform height jump. The game isn't perfect but has some decent levels to really make you want to scream in frustration. And this is all from playing it for the first hour, and I am nowhere near the rest of the even-more-frustrating levels towards the end.

From the store page, I see that there are 40 levels, 2 bosses, and 3 game modes, I suppose the more-difficult-than-normal modes will unlock if I happen to ever beat the difficult normal mode. My guess it probably has to do with fewer check points, though I am probably never going to find out.

The game doesn't have wide-screen support, nor does it have V-sync, and thus when my GPU is driving it anywhere between 800-2500 FPS and making lots of funny noises, I had enough patience to play and record a first-impressions video and then turned it off. I really didn't want to take any chances there. and the developer has made it plenty clear that the limited screen width is for the retro feel but also limited vision in regards to being able to see the traps. The developer has added V-sync since my initial review and complaint one day ago.

The music is super up-beat and very pleasant to listen to, though the mood of the whole situation is quickly dampened by the number of deaths, so be aware of that if you are planning to buy this game, it's difficult and a lot of places feel unfair, though I know that's just me talking. So far, the levels I have seen (the first nine) have been totally fine, and I just haven't been able to find any kind of comfort zone in playing this game in the first hour.

I am keeping this review short and sweet, because it's a stinkin' difficult platformer and pretty well done. Add on V-sync and I will probably be spending some more time with it. If you had any interest, especially during the Halloween sale currently at 60% off, making the price more manageable. The base price of $10.99 is a bit high, in my opinion, but the sale price is totally fine. (I am saying this because of the sheer number of difficult platformers out there and the value there is in this kind of game with the selective audience.)

You can look at my video here to decide if you might want to pick it up during the sale:

Hardcore platformer with lots of ways to die. Go left, go right, and jump to proceed. Hit some checkpoints to make sure that you have a better chance of moving forward, find a key and proceed to the exit in each level to move on.

Controller works fine, you can use both the joystick and the D-pad for directional movement. You can also use the keyboard.

Does not support wide-screen, retro-style graphics that are done with plenty of detail to look pretty darn good.

Music
Really up-beat and fun to listen to, definitely a game I have the music on full while playing.

Hardcore platforming fans only, everyone else only come if you want an excute to buy a new controller or a monitor next monty during the Black Friday deals.

Base price of $10.99 is a bit high, but current Halloween sale at 60% for the next couple of days is totally reasonable, as long as you are the type of person to want to play this. (And you are going to use a secondary tool to limit the screen refresh rate.)

Conclusion
Deathless Dungeon was made by a two-person team, so it's a real indie project and it has enough hand-crafted levels to make it worthwhile. The base asking price is pretty high, in my opinion, as there are too many similar games out there, but this one can definitely stand among the rest as a solid addition to the right library.

V-sync has been added since my initial complaint one day ago. is crucial and I hope the developers manage to add that in, after all, you are looking at a retro-style pixel graphics game that involves very few active actions. You are moving left, you are moving right, you are jumping and often dying.

The fortunate aspect of dying and respawning is without player input, and in this kind of game, this is definitely a good thing, you just want to keep playing without needing to press a button to continue at the checkpoint or restart from the beginning.

Check out my video and see for yourself. I think it's a worthy game indeed.

Overall score: 7/10.