Recent reviews by Mardo, the Unicorn Hunter

< 1  2  3  4  5 >
Public Review on behalf of the Opium Pulses Steam group

Disclaimer: The copy of this game was provided by the developer for review purposes, yet it doesn't affect my review in any way.

Few words about the game
The Tick Tock Isle is a short 2D puzzle adventure game made by an indie developer team, that's specializes in weird games. And they're keeping this formula in this game. You're a young guy named Strike and your goal is to repair a clock in the abandoned clock tower. But there's a twist - you will travel back in time to be able to do it.

Advantages
  • - Plain controls, you're only going to use arrows and occasionally, enter to access inventory / map
  • - Calming background music and sound effects
  • - Fun and "differently approached" storyline
  • - Simple yet lovely, pixelated art style
  • - The price tag is 100% adequate to what the game offers
  • - Long enough to have a bit of fun, yet short enough not to get bored of completely

Disadvantages
  • - Lack of any kind of in-game option
  • - The game is far too linear to enjoy it entirely, can get boring after a while
  • - The gameplay and story are just so random, it makes no sense at all at some points

Summary
This game would be far more fun and would get a much better score, if not the linearity of it. Go left, go right, go left, go right, go up, pick one thing (just because, there's no explanation for anything) and over and over again. But I must admit, it's enjoyable anyway. Fun and randomness of characters and events is awesome, I've had a few good laughs. 100% recommended for anyone who's short on money but is looking for a quick, yet fun adventure!

7.5 / 10

If you find my review helpful or funny be sure to follow Opium Pulses curator page right here for more reviewed games!
Posted October 12, 2016.
Public Review on behalf of the Opium Pulses Steam group

Disclaimer: This is an Early Access review! The review might get updated when the game will come out fully!

Few words about the game
You're one of the 16 contestants, dropped around the closed area on the unknown island. All you know is that you have at most 24 minutes to live... to survive. During those 24 minutes you will need to find and build your weapon of choice, you will be hunted, forced to run, hide and fight for your life, all depends on your own decisions. And belive me, there's plenty of survival tactics - from heavily armored, pumped guy with sledgehammer to smash anyone on your way to victory, to quick as lightning hunter, equipped with bow and a knife to throw, anything to keep your enemies on distance. Do YOU have what is needed to survive in this brutal competition?

Advantages
  • - Extremely precise and realistic sounds, even a blind person could tell where exactly is your enemy, what's under his feet and what weapon he holds in his hands
  • - Huge - and I mean it - HUGE variety of weaponry, juices to boost yourself, bonus airdrops and perks to choose from
  • - Awesome graphics, even as for today's standards
  • - Constant and regular updates, really huge props to developers for doing a great job with all those fixes, tweaks and updates to games content
  • - A ton of cosmetic items to make your character either awesomely bright or scary looking, or if you want to, wear military clothes to blend with surrounding you bushes
  • - Fighting system is so expanded and polished that if you'll master it, you can win the game only with 2 stones and a bandage in your backpack

Disadvantages
  • - Devs obviously are having problems with balancing mechanics, every patch heavily nerfs one thing and makes few others over powered
  • - Optimalization problems. To be fair, they are being fixed over time, but they are still there (stutter spikes, random fps drops, crashes)

Summary
Summarizing - the best battle-royale experience you can get right now. If you will turn a blind eye on some minor visual or mechanics bugs, the game is super polished. The variety of everything will keep you interested in game for a great amount of time and even then you won't try everything availiable or new stuff will come up in an update. Game's still not perfect nor close to being finished, but I hope you are aware of it, knowing it's an Early Access game and you're ready for crashes, fps spikes, unbalanced tweaks and whole variety of inconveniences. But that's the only cons about it, let devs finish it and it will be a top tier "Hunger Games-like" game. Besides that, The Culling is really challenging and it takes a ton of time to master the perfect way of fighting with people, one little mistake can determine whether you will live or not. Try your best to outsmart enemies with your sneaky tactics or just charge them with hail of lethal blows. Give it a shot, it's worth it, even if you suck at it.

8.5 / 10

Posted September 25, 2016. Last edited October 12, 2016.

Few words about the game
This game is a cute, little platforming game made by an Indie developer. Your goal is to recover lost memories of a... boy in a cat suit. Yeah, you've read that right. Recover parts of your memory as you go through a bunch of mind-streching levels, where each of them have a twist - there are two gravities! Make new friends and enemies among met creatures, uncover the story that goes along and, if you feel up to the challenge, speedrun your way through the puzzles!

Advantages
  • - Cute graphics and design of the character
  • - Animations are flawless
  • - Idea of two gravities is implemented in an interesting way into simple, yet surprising levels full of puzzles
  • - Simple, basic controls
  • - Luckily, what's unfortunately shows up alot in games like this one, repetitivness of puzzles is minimal, each level is different with it's layout and graphics design
  • - Soft sounds, no need to mute the game because of them being irritating
  • - Easy to navigate around the main menu
  • - Controller support
  • - Difficuly of levels is not too hard, yet easy enough to let you keep on going without ragequits
  • - Beautiful, calm background music

Disadvantages
  • - There's a little thing with controls that might feel a bit like an imput lag from time to time, making a character movements react with a little delay

Summary
As you can clearly see, a good game is not always a game with 20 hours long storyline, side quests, amazing '15 3D graphics with antyaliasing. Sometimes, less is more. This game might not reach the top on Steam, but it definitely should be seen by more people. It's perfect to sit back with a controller in hands, hot coffe on a table and relax for a bit. Unless you're an overachiever in here, then have a great fun speedrunning all those levels and getting 100% of achievements, as The Land of Eyas is perfect for it.

9 / 10

Posted September 15, 2016. Last edited October 12, 2016.

Few words about the game
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes is a game where you're playing the role of the sapper in a closed room, alone with a bomb. Your only hope lies in your friends, who are in possession of the manual how to defuse it. But there's one catch - they're unable to see it, so you better prepare your throat to talk a lot. A lot and quickly!

Advantages
  • - Awesomely fun concept that will keep you entertained for hours
  • - Nice, pleasant to the eye, 'soft' graphics
  • - I've actually learned most of the morse code so I can pretty much say it's educative!
  • - Easy to navigate menu
  • - Bomb manual is nicely and clearly written (with projects in multiple languages!)
  • - Game is not hardware-demanding at all so it can be easily run on most of the PCs
  • - Bomb and its modules are randomly composed, which only boosts the replayability
  • - Easy controls that requires only the mouse

Disadvantages
  • - Even though bomb is random every time, instructions are not. They should be renewed and changed every now and then

Summary
This game is simply amazing! I've had a ton of fun playing it with a few of my friends (as a defuser and a manual crew) and we're still not bored of it, even better - we really want to play more and get better at it! The only thing that kinda slows us down is the fact that after a while of playing, you simply start to remember rules of defusing yourself and it's not a problem for defuser to defuse few modules even without any use of manual - that's why in my opinion it should be changed from time to time, even a little bit. But except that, I have literally nothing to complain about, this game is surprisingly well though out. Difficulty of bombs throughout the levels is nicely aligned, so there's no "gap" that would stop people from finishing it. Literally one of the best co-op games I've ever played! It should be perfect for a drinking game with friends at home *wink wink*

9 / 10

Posted June 20, 2016. Last edited January 24, 2018.

Few words about the game
Foresight is a RTS where you can lead your fleets into an epic battles in space. You're playing as a commander with a mission to recruit other commanders, that will help you both, forces and advice in battles. It's totally up to you how you will manage your resources!

Advantages
  • - Pleasant background music and sounds
  • - Nicely written dialogues
  • - Awesome artwork in cutscenes, makes pretty good wallpapers
  • - Storyline seems quite interesting
  • - Retro graphics design is very likeable
  • - After one and a half year after release of the game, devs are fully active and game is often improved with pathes and fixes
  • - Thorough and clear tutorial to introduce RTS simpletons like myself into the game mechanics

Disadvantages
  • - Voice acting needs an improvement in my opinion
  • - Minimizing the game / restarting the mission leads to stutters and even crashes
  • - A.I. can't really cope alone at all, it requires constant control to be somehow useful

Summary
Full disclosure - I am not a real-time strategy games player, I played only few strategy games in my whole life and it's not my type of a game, but I'm trying to be reliable and objective in here as I possibly can.

First of all, at the first sight you can easily tell that devs love what they're doing. This might not be some great AAA top title on steam, but they're obviously trying their best in here (Look at all those news, patches, upgrades and even their responses to reviews). Their love towards their game is a huge advantage for game itself!

Now finally about the game itself, yay! Graphics looks old, indeed. But here it's not about graphics but about gameplay, so I like to think about them not as "bad" but as "retro". Music is not wonderful either but it's nice listen. I didn't got far enough into the game to fully explore its possibilities, but I clearly see all the potential in it and I will surely play more of it in future. Missions and battles themselves are highly rewarding, building up your fleets, preparing to battle and standing over destroyed ships of your enemies is awesome!

I'd love to compare this game to some other RTS titles, but as I've said before, my experience with them is quite limited. But there's one thing I've noticed in here and what is not that common from what I know. I'm talking about how tactical this game is. It's not about how big and heavy your fleet will be, it's about how you will manage to lead it. For example, commander ships can only shoot forward and it takes time for them to turn around. Without those ships, bombers and fighters become useless and if you're using little and fast battleships to flank commander ship, you're gaining a huge advantage. I might be a bit too into this game...

Yes, there are some cons to this game, but it's understandable and game is fully playable and totally enjoyable despite them. One thing that bothers me is why this game is not in early access? It's constantly updated and fixed for better and better AND it would avoid some negative reviews from people who review "fully out yet bugged" game. But I guess there's developers reason behind it.

So yeah, long story short, an exemplary game from an indie studio. Recommended for everyone, obligatory for RTS lovers to see its potential.

8.5 / 10
Posted June 5, 2016. Last edited October 12, 2016.

Few words about the game
Neon Chrome is an addicting top-down shooter with rouge-like gameplay, placed in cyberpunk, colorful world. Since the very beginning of a game, players are greeted by an awesome soundtrack that will introduce you to the pace of the game. At first, the gameplay might look a bit chaotic and maybe even overwhelming, but once you'll get used to it, oh boy - the only thing you'll want to do is spread even more chaos! Or who knows, maybe you'll decide for a more sneakier path? It's all up to you!

Advantages
  • - Excellent local co-op (max 4 players)
  • - Fenomenal and atmospheric soundtrack (I instantly fell in love with it, listen to Monopoly on Violence, it's just splendid <3)
  • - Difficult is hard enough to be entertained but not too hard to be raging at
  • - Controls are simple and perfect. Also, a great controller support (tested on XBOX 360 controller)
  • - Story is told "on side" as you're going through the game, no need to sit through long cutscenes / dialogues
  • - Huge variety of pre-made classes, upgrades, weapons and abilities to choose from
  • - Level design is awesome, mostly destructible surroundings and randomly generated levels gives the game quite a nice replay value
  • - Clever system that requires you to actually die to upgrade yourself and even progress the game
  • - Graphics are very nice looking and, surprisingly, quite neon. Cyberpunkish graphics rules!
  • - Constantly updated

Disadvantages
  • - Graphics were somehow "bugged", I needed to level them down slightly due to blurriness
  • - Hopefully devs will add multiplayer at one point

Summary
This game is literally excellent and perfect. I might have not played a lot of it yet (I'm a busy man, alright?) but I can't wait for the next time to get in and play it. It's also highly addictive, so far, I can't find any serious cons. Literally perfect. The replay value is great thanks to randomly generated levels and all those abilities and unlockables. Surroundings are nearly 100% destructible, so the only thing that stands in your way to burst through the wall into a room full of enemies is a wall that you'll need to take down! A.I. is not stupid, so don't worry, it's not one of those slashers where enemies just run at you, doing nothing. Story seems pretty good once you'll listen to it, hopefully I'll get to its end one day. One thing that surprised me is the diversity of all add-ons like combinations of weapons and abilities, unique abilities to specific characters and tons of upgrades you get going along the game - believe me, you'll have tons of fun looking for the best combination that fits your playstyle. One thing that would be nice is multiplayer, co-op or versus, it would be fun either way.
TL;DR Do I recommend it? Hell yeah, just get it and play, you won't regret it!

9.5 / 10

Posted May 19, 2016. Last edited October 12, 2016.

Few words about the game
Colours of Magic: Aqua Teeter - A fun and entertaining puzzle game, where your goal is to lead liquid to right elixir. Sounds easy? Wait a few levels, it gets challenging after a while.

Advantages
  • - Nice concept of the game overall
  • - Creative levels
  • - Realistic physics of your potion
  • - Pleasant hand-drawn graphics
  • - Very low price for fun content
  • - Achievements and cards are nice bonus

Disadvantages
  • - Soundtrack could be more developed
  • - Buggy here and there - after minimization graphics sometimes get bugged (http://prnt.sc/ay841h), can't turn on sounds after turning them off

Summary
It's a fun game in its simplicity. For people complaining that there's a low ammount of content or anything like that - it was designed this way, to be a nice and little game to play for a while and have fun. There's quite a lot of levels with a variety of difficulties, so it's totally enough to spend few good hours in the game to pass it. In my opinion, it'd be very nice if mouse control would be added. Luckily, it's not heavily bugged game, so I can sincerely say that it was a pleasure to play it. The only thing that could be upgraded is a soundtrack, but it's a minor thing - except that, I totally recommend this game for what it is.

8.5 / 10

Posted April 29, 2016. Last edited October 12, 2016.

Few words about the game
No Time To Explain is an amazingly fun platformer game, where you pass levels using the laser cannon or few other tools, fight alien crabs or mecha-pterodactyls or dance off a cake. After this kind of description of a game, I really have no clue what you're waiting for, there's no time to explain, it's just perfect!

Advantages
  • - Totally random and stupid humor - I love every bit of it
  • - Ton of fun, non repetitive levels to pass through
  • - Collectives are everywhere, but it's challenging to get some of them
  • - Music and voice acting are awesome
  • - Local co-op
  • - Game controls well in my opinion (tested on keyboard+mouse and controller)
  • - Nice, cartoon graphics, typical for tinyBuild
  • - Great level editor

Disadvantages
  • - Plot is somehow random and it's not in the fun way - it doesn't connect to itself and appears only once every few levels
  • - Price tag is too high for what the game offers

Summary
Simply fun and clever game, hits perfectly in my type of humor. It's fairly easy to pass, so rage quits - typical for some platform games - shouldn't happen, playing it is pure pleasure. Achievements are quite challenging, so beating this game once won't be enough for achiev hunters. Too bad that the story is not made in a different way, because for how it is now, it doesn't really "play any big role" in the game, unfortunately. But overall, I had some major fun playing it, as well as in the co-op and in single player mode.

9 / 10

Posted April 21, 2016. Last edited October 12, 2016.

Few words about the game
MyDream is a game based on an amazing idea of forming and exploring your world however you want to. You're able to create your own world or join any world created by other players and, well, build anything you want to. To be fair, there's still a long way to go before it will be finished and polished, but in the first 5 minutes of gameplay, you can clearly see the potential and how big this game might get in the near future.

Advantages
  • - Gameplay is smooth and visibly optimized even for lower machines
  • - Music is well made
  • - Graphics are not really up to date, but they're still very good and enjoyable
  • - Terraforming and building is really advanced and developed
  • - Game is formed by the online community, some of online levels were literally amazing, can't wait to see it grow
  • - Content of the game is very expanded, ton of things to build, create and even explore (price tag is 101% adequate)
  • - Design of UI and menu overal is nice and clear

Disadvantages
  • - Lacks any introduction to some mechanics and tools. There is a tutorial, but it's pretty unclear and chaotic
  • - Online levels really take their time to load, in a few cases I had to wait over 5 minutes for it to load up
  • - You will encounter some bugs for sure, but the game is still in the early access so give it a chance and be patient - it's worth it!

Summary
MyDream is slowly shaping into an amazing game, I can already see how it becomes an awesome AAA title, but there's still alot of work to do in my opinion. For now, you can do almost anything you want to with your own world, shape it and build there almost anything you want to. I had fun with exploring it and creating quests in my own world, but the most fun I had when I wandered in some online worlds - things people can create in there are amazing, "players-driven" game is a great idea. I hope it will grow enough to meet dozens of players in there, it would be much more fun with others around, but unfortunately for now it's almost empty, I met only 1 player in one of the worlds. If you like any kind of games focused on building, you will instantly fall in love with MyDream for sure.

7.5 / 10

Posted April 16, 2016. Last edited October 12, 2016.

Few words about the game
Kill to Collect is an amazingly addictive rouge-like game, placed in cyberpunk universe. You're in control one of four Hunters and your goal is to clear out multiple levels out of any enemies you'll encounter. Invite your friends, create a team, think of some good strategy and... Kill To Collect!

Advantages
  • - Big variety of enemies
  • - Layout of levels is randomly generated
  • - Awesome soundtrack, perfectly fit to the theme of the game
  • - Great replay value thanks to all unlockables and customization options
  • - 4 characters to choose from, each with their own unique set of skills and play style
  • - The difficulty is hard and it makes the game more rewarding than it looks like
  • - Up to 4 players co-op mode is well made and lets players think of some nice strategies to pass the levels

Disadvantages
  • - The story is really not clear or even visible and doesn't bring too much into the game
  • - In story mode, game can be too challeging, which might lead to being stuck
  • - Edit: When one of your co-op friends disconnects / looses connection with game, he automatically leaves the game with no possibility to join back until the game
  • Edit: Chat window only appear after opening it, it doesn't show up after new message

Summary
I'm really into this game right now. Yeah, it is a bit repetitive if you're dying over and over again on the same level, but it's quite rewarding when you're finally able to get to the next lever. The main theme of this game, along with music, totally bought me - cyberpunk to me is the most amazing thing that could ever happen to games. Thanks to big amount of ways to combine all boosts, upgrades and weapons, ensures us that we won't get bored of it too quickly. The only thing that I wish to be upgraded, is an amount of playable characters or at least some additional skills to use. But except that one thing, it's a really good, I could even say, a great game, I heavily recommend it, even if it's for single player only. So yeah, now I'm going back to finish another bounty and hope one day I'll finally git gud and stop dying.

8 / 10

Posted April 6, 2016. Last edited October 12, 2016.
< 1  2  3  4  5 >