Recent reviews by Cheese Sandwich (Terrum)

< 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 >
The best modern remake of TIM (The Incredible Machine) ever! This really has taken me back to the 90s DOS days and the game hasn't lost its style at all, with a lot more physics and even levels remade from the old games - it's just a huge treat! Highly recommend.
A very small but extremely well made mod by an ex-Valve employee. Caged is a remake of a very old mod, by the same people, but with incredible use of the goldsrc engine's power.

As soon as the intro began I was already surprised by the quality of the text on the monitor and how it was readable, and (regardless of the polygons) how smooth a lot of the blocks/objects were in that particular area - I almost felt like I was playing a Source game!

A few new models (such as a plunger instead of a crowbar) and sounds, along with fantastic use of sprites, made the mod that whole lot more visually enjoyable for an engine that was created in the 90s.

There is also a built-in achievement system that doesn't use Steam's achievements (when you escape on the boat and the credits come, you get to view your achievements) to give it that little extra playability

Also, the qwerky and comical signs such as 'soap on rope' (impossible to drop) and all sorts of minor easter eggs, that don't affect the gameplay, make it just that bit more enjoyable! Traditional, doesn't feel forced, and absolutely gives you the HL1 feel!

This is what one whole chapter of HL2 should have been if Source was never created. Fantastic mod and a great little freebie to experience HL1 again in the years it should have been enjoyed!
Posted September 21, 2017.
Nominated for “LONGEST WAIT FOR SEQUEL RELEASE” Award
Posted November 24, 2016.

After Melody's Escape leaving Early Access, I decided to give the game a second try - seeing as during the first months of its release it gave me eye sores worse than any other game predictable. As of now it does look like there's been a lot of improvement made as well as community suggestions to the visuals that cause eye strain to lots of players including myself. It definitely helps to have a 120+hz monitor or to enable/disable any sort of vsync features possible. Other features such as slow-mo and other eyecandy visuals have also been added since!

Anyway onto the real part of my review - Melody's Escape is a fantastic DDR alternative for your computer with the incredible ability to use your own songs! There are a few different difficulties you can choose when opening the game so you can play a super relaxing game to just enjoy the visuals and hit one button, or go full intense mode and hit more than one key at the same time! (A controller is heavily recommended for the much higher difficulties - past medium, perhaps)

Overall for the price you're paying, Melody's Escape is a fantastic game if you're into DDR-related games, and has incredible modability, to the extent of being able to use a whole different mascot if you wanted! Worth a buy - highly recommended!
Posted July 31, 2016. Last edited July 31, 2016.
Brilliant singleplayer version of Counter-Strike if you're the kind of person that enjoys missions from back in the day where you didn't have to 'pay to win' (or look cool) and receive just the satisfaction of beating a game rather than selling a 5 cent case you earned thinking it was actually worth your time.

One niggle I have however is that the bots are pretty useless half the time, especially as the game pretty much depends on them entirely unless you're an expert player that can win 1v6 almost every round.
Posted July 18, 2016. Last edited July 19, 2016.
I was in the closed beta for this game before it was released onto Steam, and I've left it a good many months before making sure I leave a review to keep things fair. So far, the game is in Early Access - so you MUST definitely, absolutely, clearly understand that the game is going to have bugs at this time. Too many people seem to misunderstand this with many games that are in Early Access.

But onto my review - as a huge fan of The Ship ever since the first free HL1 mod, it's been fantastic to see how well the game has been developed throughout the years with all the new changes, new gamemodes, and now - a whole new engine! Whilst the game has had its ownership transferred through multiple companies (along with some developers joining said transfer) the game still has its incredible style you would come to expect from the game's series.

At the game's current state, it's mostly just eye-candy. It's playable, that's for sure - but it's still going to have the odd bug here and there that could possibly be game-breaking, but that's the fun in Early Access (which, again, a lot of people seem to misunderstand). I don't recommend this if you don't want to help with its developerment, but I definitely recommend it if your most interest is to be a part of a developing game and possibly have your idea/help introduced in a game!

Overall, an extremely beautiful game and really nice to be a part of, albeit not necessarily playable just yet, but still really fun to play when you manage to find the people and/or don't mind the occasional bug!
Posted May 11, 2016.
Quite possibly the most casual yet fun game to play when you just want to sit back and not think too much. The game is extremely retro yet has a fantastic, modern feel to it (especially with the art style it uses when you interact with people!). Has to be one of my favourite scrolling games.
Posted April 15, 2016.
Yet another incredible 'add-on' game for the HL1 series. Whilst I don't feel this one has any 'proper' connection to the actual story of HL1 compared to Blue Shift, which does have a connection to it, this game gives you a wider variety of weapons, extra gameplay and the style of HL1 you would expect to see! Give it a go - you won't be disappointed if you're a HL1 fan!
Posted April 15, 2016.
Blue Shift has to be one of my favourite 'add-on' games to the Half-Life series. Seeing Half-Life being played in the prospective of a security guard has never been more satisfying - what much else can I say! If you like HL1, you're bound to like this if you're left from HL1 wanting more!
Posted April 15, 2016.
A fantastic remaster of a blast from the past - for the price it's a very decent remaster at that. The odd visual glitch here and there, but nothing game-breaking. It still has the same style you'd expect from the old game - so don't expect this remaster to be completely modern. It's also really nice that you can switch from remastered to classic without interrupting the gameplay with a swift click of a shortcut (F1) which gets huge points from me! Overall nice music, great quality vocals and SFX - it gets an 8/10 from me!
Posted March 22, 2016.