Posted: Oct 2, 2014 @ 1:59pm

*Disclaimer: I am the developer of the game, so take my review worth a grain of salt*
That being said, I thought it'd be helpful to use the review system to speak candidly about the game. Hopefully people find it helpful.

This isn't a typical horror game. It's not about startling you with jump scares. It's about creating a tense and oppressive atmosphere that mirrors my experience with mental illness.

It's not very game-y. Some may describe it as a "walking simulator". While it is true the main mechanics are walking, this was a deliberate design choice. The game is about disempowerment and vulnerability, which is important to creating a horror experience. To further the vulnerability, the main character has asthma. That means he can't run very far without stopping to get his breath, and we use the stamina to create tense situations.

We wanted to create a focus on immersion. That's why there is no UI, hud, or traditional game mechanics. We want you to forget you are playing a game and get lost in our nightmare-scapes.

It's not very long. A playthrough to one ending is between 1.5 and 2 hours. However, we have 3 different endings with unique content leading up to them, so I would recommend playing all nightmares. That will add another hour or two to your playtime.

Will you like this game? That really depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for a unique take a horror with thick atmosphere, then I think you'll love what we are offering. If you are turned off by short games or ones without a lot of challenge, then this may not be the game for you. It's tough to make a game that appeals to everyone, but I think we've created a special game that a lot of people will really love.

Thanks for reading, and I hope you enjoy the game! :)
Kos... Or Some say Kosm Dec 3, 2017 @ 11:03pm
I have not actually played this game myself, I watched one of my favourite youtubers play it a long time ago, and I did like it somewhat, but it wasn't the most memorable game initially.

Since then, I've actaully been diagnosed with OCD myself, and have suffered through it for the past 3 or so months at this stage,

I went back, and watched the playthrough again, and it was so real to me, it actually brought a tear to my eye.

So many of the themes, and images/thoughts that are explored in this game I experience every single day, and it's nice to know someone else understands my struggle, especially someone who is willing to make video games to tackle such a heavy subject matter.
h0tsp4ce Jan 20, 2017 @ 7:01pm
I am very grateful for what you attempted to do with this game and I pray that you continue to release more out of the box titles. The artwork and the idea behind it is amazing and I tried as hard as I could, being a psychological horror/adventure/walking sim fan, to finish it. It was just *too* repetetive. This comment is merely serving to let you know that I am happy that you put this out into the aether and I'm so glad that other people enjoy it - but if there is anything you can listen to, please cut all of the redundance from any future title. I'd rather play a 1 hour game that is less of opening useless doors and walking for the sake of seeing art (even though the art is great!) than a 3 hour game where at a point it's kind of like..."When will something, anything, not a jumpscare just anything, happen?" Cheers and best of luck to you :nekoheart:
Edindro Sep 17, 2016 @ 4:22pm
Really intriguing honestly, but I can't pay 15 bucks for a two hour walking simulator. And I'm a fan of two hour walking simulators. What I've seen of it looks really well done, just maybe you overshot a tad on the value of such an experience.

I am putting it on my wishlist, though. I will buy it if the price drops.
moo moo milkshake Jul 9, 2016 @ 4:33pm
the artwork is just beautiful i hope you make more stuff in the future
Mechanoise Apr 9, 2016 @ 11:53am
I bought the game and didn't recommend it. My excitement of the experience dwindled down as time went on and the cost vs time length vs the general mechanics was not enough to make me enjoy it. I love the concept and atmosphere it presents, I love the style and absolutely despise the enemies for all the right reasons. In spite of it not being a game I recommend, you have my respect for making a review that understands and criticises aspects of your own game that people may not be happy with, and considering you have every reason to be biased I give props to you, and I think your review sums it up well. Good luck on your future titles, and don't give up doing what you love.
KumaBear Mar 8, 2015 @ 10:36am
This review was extremely informative and I thank you for it, I wish more devs did this kind of thing
Osku Mar 6, 2015 @ 1:53pm
After playing for half an hour, i disagree. At least from the amount of jumpscares that were present during that time. :D
Stefneh Mar 5, 2015 @ 5:55pm
I really look forward to playing and reviewing! I feel this may be something i could relate to in many ways. From the little i have seen so far it already reminds me a lot of my own experiences and mental states i have been in. Mental illness is something i don't think a lot of people really pay all that much attention to and it's really nice to see something like this on Steam that tries to portray what it's like and how it feels.
Captn Pengu; NootNoot Mar 5, 2015 @ 5:55am
Props to dev, this was a very cerative and effective way to make people aware, and to I don't know how to put this, but to but it really puts into perspective the kind of shiz that people with legit depression go through, it's not just feeling sad. So, like I said before, props to dev!
Chrstphr-J Feb 6, 2015 @ 7:11pm
Nice to see a more personal note from a developer about their game. And it makes a lot of sense seeing not just how personal the game is the creator, but how exactly the game is personal to them. So thanks for that, Matt!

That said, I'm not sure if or when I'll get around to this game, since I have quite a backlog of other games (unfinished and unstarted) at the moment (as well as lots of books to read), and I'm low on funds.

Also, despite the fact that playing the game was of help to one commentor during a bout of depression, I'm not sure it would be a good idea for me during my current bout with a seemingly neverending cycle of depression and migraines. (Dang you Mother Nature and your winter dalliances with Jack Frost! Damn you both to heck! LOL!)

Anyhoo...