Posted: Nov 30, 2018 @ 6:46pm
Updated: Dec 1, 2018 @ 11:47pm

This game is good.
I have spent nearly all my hours in Draft and I really enjoy the mechanics, but if you are thinking that this will be something to replace Hearthstone or MTG Arena you are dead wrong.
Let’s get it out of the way, the monetization is indeed flawed, the only way you obtain cards is via your own money being sucked into Gabe Newels wallet, passing right by the grave of Gordon Freeman.

Progression
Every game you win and play will feel unrewarded and just a waste of time. There is no reason to play. You don’t get anything at all for playing any match other than Expert play which is just casual mode where you pay real money to have a chance at winning anything rewarding. There is no XP, no ranking system and no virtual currency (or arcane dust) earned through winning.

Heroes and Balance
There a lot of low tier heroes and a select few A or God tier heroes, now there being strong cards in a Card Game is not an issue, but this on top of the progression and monetization really ruins this game. Axe (a good hero card) at the time of this review is on the market for $31… Annihilation (A board wipe card) is $10… soo if you want to just outright buy the cards then hope you’re willing to drop $100 on your deck.

Card Packs and the Luck of the Draw
You can get cards in these card packs that come for free with the base game, so essentially you have a chance to get cards that have no value. The packs themselves are just too expensive ($2.50 or like $2.80 if you’re in the AU), yes they cost the same as a regular tcg games card packs but when I buy a regular card pack of let’s say Pokémon, I get a physical item. I’m getting an item here that cannot be traded and can’t be used in any other way than to play this game; while other virtual card games do the same most of those games are free 2 play.

Tldr
Bad monetization, no progression and no reason to buy this game.
Comments are disabled for this review.