Posted: Mar 28, 2016 @ 1:31pm
Updated: Mar 29, 2016 @ 9:50am

This is a Non VR review!

At this point I have beaten the game and I'm just kind of mixed about it. On one hand the game is absolutely beautiful. Moving around the debris field of a crumbling space station while looking down at Earth is simply amazing looking. The animations of Alex reaching out at items, turning them around and just moving around the airlock all look fantastic. The lighting system in the game is amazing as well. Past the visuals however, I found the game to be pretty boring and empty feeling.

The gameplay consists of you traversing an extremely damaged space station in an EVA suit. Since it's zero-G you use thrusters and momentum to move you throughout the station. Your thrusters are powered by the Oxygen system of the suit, which you also need to... Y'know. Breathe. So throughout the ENTIRE game you have to manage your oxygen levels by constantly finding oxygen containers/stations. It can be a bit tedious but these containers/stations basically lay out the way you're supposed to go for the next objective so they are more than just life saving air. But at the same time the Oxygen meter always makes you feel rushed so you can't look at the amazing visuals.

While moving through you'll find computers, audio logs and radio calls that fill in the story of what happened to the station and the interactions between characters. Even with these logs I never felt any profound connection to any of the characters. Which makes the entire game feel lifeless. Alex never talks other than a literal handful of words through the game, even though she's constantly in contact with base command trying to get her back home, even after fixing the relay that is supposed to allow her to talk to them.

For a game having such amazing visuals, I found the soundtrack and sound in general to just be pretty poor. I had a lot of popping in my speakers while playing throughout that I have never had before. At a few points in the game songs will just come out of nowhere. While these are okay for a minute or two, I had one song loop a 10-15 second loop for 30 minutes until I restarted the checkpoint. It really wore me down.

The one thing I was REALLY looking forward to was the quote I saw floating around a lot. "It's like being an astronaut!" It isn't at all though. You move from room to room pushing a button at a terminal that says, "Do you want to repair?" and it repairs itself. I was really looking forward to using some tools or something like that. But you just use a keyboard so it makes me wonder why Alex is even needed if it can all be fixed with a signal.

The game mainly consists of,

1. Find colored disc
2. Follow objective marker to another terminal/computer
3. Gather oxygen and intel as you move
4. Reach computer and put disc in or press button to upgrade suit
5. Repeat

Pros:
  • Amazing visuals
  • The movement of the EVA suit is fun but slightly clunky in spots
  • Really great animation

Cons:
  • Short, I completed it in just over 3 hours and don't really feel the need to play it again.
  • Didn't care about the characters
  • Gameplay consists of just going to terminals and pressing a button
  • Oxygen meter forces you to feel rushed when you want to just look at how amazing the game is
  • Does NOT feel like being an astronaut
EthicalPixel Mar 29, 2016 @ 8:01am
console quality beep bep? huh?
tbc Mar 29, 2016 @ 4:25am
Okay i get ya
Jasper Mar 29, 2016 @ 4:18am
Good question.

I mean a game that is worth playing, one that is not fundamentally desiged by profiteers for profiteers but by passionate gamers for passionate gamers. It's kind of hard to judge this title based on the fact that it's more or less the Wii Sports of VR. Anyone can see that and it's also clear in reviews like this which are all the same: I bought this game without VR and there is nothing to do.

Yeah, because it's a VR pitch.

lOcIEe Mar 29, 2016 @ 2:08am
Wait beep bep, "console quality game", what is that supose to mean?
Beef Baby Mar 28, 2016 @ 8:43pm
Yes I beat the game in 3.3 hours.
Jasper Mar 28, 2016 @ 4:56pm
it's barely a game. it's a VR tech demo basically. anybody who purchases anything with a VR tag and expects a console quality game will be instantly disappointed.

VR games will be like Wii games: gimmicky with little substance but visually pleasing to those who rely on visual stimuli for entertainment.
tbc Mar 28, 2016 @ 3:45pm
You have finished the game in 3.3 hours?