Recent reviews by DaYeti

Most of these negative reviews are so over-reactionary or clueless that it forced me to make this. I'm going to address the most upvoted negative criticism I see regarding this collection.

1. NG1 same framedrops and performance issue like on console:

I've done a complete play-through of the first game and yes, there are time where the performance does slow down but it's not really dropped frames but more so frames are slowed down. Just to clarify, this slow down is like at ~85% game speed so it's not like the game suddenly turns on slow motion. Also, this happens for literally about a second and mostly when you're character is in the middle of UT'ing or Flying Swallowing through multiple enemies. Your waiting on Ryu to finish his animation which means it's not having any strong impact on the gameplay. Would I prefer this to be fixed? Sure, but people complaining about this is sad because when you're actually going through a play through, it's almost never really happens nor is it noticeable for 98%+ of a play-through.

2. ABSOLUTELY NO option for graphics:

True. However, it's a straight forward port. This is not a remaster or a remake. You can choose your resolution though by managing it through the games property setting in Steam. EDIT: An update has fixed this issue. The following options have been added: Display Mode, Resolution, VSYNC, Triple Buffering, Anti-Aliasing, Depth of Field, and Display Shadows.

3. 60 fps lock

Again, it's a straight forward port of games (that debuted as far back as 2004 on the original Xbox). Some games lock FPS because allowing higher or uncapped frames messed with the actual speed of the game itself. Also, we're complaining that games are "only" 60 FPS now? lol

4. NG2 no gore and violet blood:

I genuinely cannot even believe that this is a "criticism", it's just that stupid. The Ninja Gaiden Σ2 game that is playable in the collection is Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, NOT Ninja Gaiden 2. It seems people just don't know how it read. In NGS2, they removed all the red blood when de-limbing or decapitating enemies, this was not some random change they made in the port. However, there is still red blood on your sword and on the floor that shows up. It's just the blood squirting that comes out of enemies is generally replaced with either a acidic green-ish color or a violet pink (generally used for fiends). Can't believe I even have to address this.

5. Games starting in windowed mode:

This is true and while I wish it wasn't, it takes no more than a second and a half to just click the maximize button in the top right of the screen to set it to full screen. EDIT: An update has fixed this issue.

6. No AA:

True, there is no option but I play on 1440p which auto upscales to 4K (which doesn't really GPU power to run) so I've had no aliasing issues and two other people who I know have the collection that play on various resolutions have not any issues either. EDIT: An update has fixed this issue. The EDIT to point #2 mentions AA as one of the now available graphics options.

7. Story clips look like 480p:

Well, yeah? The CGI was probably rendered at 480p when it was made 15 years ago? I'm going to reconstruct this criticism into one with actual merit. The CGI clips would look fantastic even by today's standards however, KT or TN decided to take something that was originally done on 4:3 aspect ratio and just stretch it to 16:9. This has the effect of lower visual clarity but also having the top and bottom of the cut-scenes be slightly clipped, which is a shame.

8. Mouse cursor does not disappear while playing:

Yeah, this is a lame one, I agree, but takes half a second to just swing your mouse off screen and you're fine. EDIT: An update has fixed this issue.

9. KBM support (you must use a gamepad to play)

To be honest, I'm not sure how they'd even make proper KBM controls but yeah perhaps it would've been cool or nice to have. TN did not want to invest the time into making this which is how the whole collection feels - very bare bones and nearly identical to the original games.

10. Bad port, waste of money!

This is that over-reaction I mentioned in the beginning. Look at Skyrim, plagued with bugs yet still always regarded as a legendary game. Look at the Halo: The Master Chief collection. Released in 2014 and is STILL receiving fixes to bugs and issues. Halo is one of the most known franchises in history and is plagued with issues for years upon years but when TN releases a weak/shallow port that keeps almost all the gameplay identical and is meant to just allow these games to run on modern systems, all of sudden it's hell on earth? What a joke Here, the "issues" here have almost NO affect on gameplay and is still getting dragged over the coals. Sure, we all wanted a more substantial port with more work done, that goes without question. I don't mind people critiquing this collection, I welcome it in fact. I cannot stand the fact that these critiques, almost none of which actually affect gameplay, are what drive people to not recommend the game. I will openly admit there are a few QoL things they could've added like fixing some of the "Now Loading" pause that pops up in the middle of some hallways as the game tries to load the rest of the level or a slightly more conducive way of quitting the game. However, does any of this ACTUALLY detract from the overall experience? NO. This is a kick-ass game that pushes you to get better and play smarter and we should be glad it's playable on modern systems at all (which is what people have been asking for for years!).
Posted June 18. Last edited July 12.

1. NG1 same framedrops and performance issue like on console:

I've done a complete play-through of the first game and yes, there are time where the performance does slow down but it's not really dropped frames but more so frames are slowed down. Just to clarify, this slow down is like at ~85% game speed so it's not like the game suddenly turns on slow motion. Also, this happens for literally about a second and mostly when you're character is in the middle of UT or Flying Swallow through multiple enemies which means it's not actually effecting the gameplay since you're locked waiting for Ryu to get out of the move. Would I prefer this to be fixed? Sure, but people complaining about this is sad because this is such a non-issue.

2. ABSOLUTELY NO option for graphics:

3. 60 fps lock

4. NG2 no gore and violet blood:

5. Games starting in windowed mode:

6. No AA:

7. Story clips look like 480p:

8. Mouse cursor does not disappear while playing:

9. KBM support (you must use a gamepad to play)

10. Bad port, waste of money!

Posted June 18. Last edited June 18.
As a new player to F1, I have to say the game is brilliant! Aside from a few bothers, this is a must for anyone interesting in racing or getting into it.

---PROS---

+ Cars look and sound great.

+ Ton of depth! Things like car set-ups, when to use your "boost" (ERS) for that extra power, when to try for an overtake, when to pit, what fuel to use, etc all add a fun layer of depth that really is rewarding. Don't be intimidated by this though since there's a casual mode to turn on if you don't want to worry about these things or choose which specific aids you want on or off!

+ Sense of speed is done well.

+ Can customize your own livery and character for online play.

+ One BIG one I feel most people most understate is the sheer amount of settings that you're allowed to tinker with. It's incredible. The mountain of options for graphics and controls is AMAZING. Every game needs to take note of what this game is doing here. It even has an in-game benchmark which is wayyy too rare in the games industry.

+ Works great even on a controller

+ Has F2 cars as well!

+ AI can drive really fast if you prefer to be a offline only player

---CONS---

- Online warnings/penalty system isn't always the best. Now, I feel people pick on CodeMasters a bit too much here since it's next to impossible to do something like this to the standard people one. A lot of racing is super contextual with its incidents so trying to program that within a game is a monumental task. However, occasionally you will still be shocked that you got a warning/penalty for something which where no where near your fault.

- It's weird, the game is quite optimized I feel (also has DLSS for NVIDIA GPU's, which is a great bonus! RTX when?!). That being said, whenever I'm in some of the menu's that contain character or car customization/upgrades, my 1080 Ti starts SCREAMING. In game, I'll never surpass the low 50's. Once I get into car upgrades (career mode), changing my character suit color, or game cut-scenes (things like interviews) the GPU goes insane. Immediately, I hear the fans start spooling up and my temps go up 10-15 degrees to the high 60's. No idea what this is about but I don't hear other people talk about so I assume it's just me? Nonetheless, quite unfortunate to have this issue but the performance while racing is great.

- Online just overall needs some QoL updates. If you ready up for qualifying lap, it's like the game freezes up. You can't move or change any menus, nothing. It's like the game is frozen. Also, you can't access the settings menu from a few of the screens during multiplayer which can be annoying. Loading in sometimes can take long but usually is okay. Also, one more issue I have (not sure if I'm just the one missing something or not) with online, unranked lobbies is when I'm allowed to join in. Let me explain: Sometimes, I'll spectate a qualifying and once it finishes, I can still join the race (towards the back of the grid though). However, at times I'll sit there waiting only to be greeted by a menu option to take me back to the main menu. I feel like it's a coin flip every time.

- Animations of the characters are super stiff - looks really cheap in an otherwise high quality game.

With all this said, this game is still amazing fun. When you get a lobby of players all genuinely racing and not looking to play bumper cars and having overtakes and tense side-by-side action it's sublime. I'd rate the game an overalr 9/10.
Posted December 23, 2020. Last edited December 23, 2020.
This and the entire KR franchise is how to properly make a TD game. The art is great, the difficulty is challenging (especially on the higher settings), however, I never felt bored playing the game. I constantly wanted to see what works and what doesn't. The challenges that are built in, like Ironman, also add a bit of spice to the game and force you to change up your strategies. It's super easy to pick up and play, even if you've never played TD games before. Fantastic title
Posted June 30, 2019. Last edited June 30, 2019.
I'm not someone who's usually interested in indie titles or turn-based games but holy cow... This game is amazing. I wouldn't even know where to begin with a review for this game. Great visuals, enemy types, sense of exploration, preparing for future battles, comradery and sense of attachment to your men is just excellent. Not to mention the great selection of mods that exist to quell any sort of issues you may have with the game. Be warned that the game is quite difficult but extremely engaging and addicting. You begin a run and next thing you know, six hours have passed.

Every single DLC is fully worth the asking price as it gives a multitude of new options and ways to experience the game as new enemy types and mechanics are added. Each of the major DLC's also bring about something I MUST comment on, which I don't see enough reviews talking about, is the MUSIC. My goodness... This is for sure within the top 3 of all time for the best video game music of all time. The way Breakdown Epiphanies constructed each track for each of the areas and enemies types is so masterfully executed, it's just incredible. The music alone is probably why I played the game for half the amount of hours I did, it's such a strong part of the overall experience.

Overall, a must play, under-rated gem that's well worth its asking price.
Posted June 19, 2017. Last edited September 11.