Recent reviews by Hammy

6,301.3 hrs on record (2,813.3 hrs at review time)
Dota 2 is the spiritual successor to the Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne custom game "Defense of the Ancients: Allstars," in which the player controls a single hero unit in a battle to level up, collect loot, and destroy the enemy's structures, all within a typical 30-45-minute experience. Games can be longer or shorter, but typically fall within that window. As the metagame has changed due to content update patches, games have grown shorter over the years, but in the past, Dota was likened to "World of Warcraft in an hour." It is an accurate analogy, as the player experiences many traditional RPG elements while competing head-to-head against other players.

Dota 2 is an incredibly complex, strategy-driven, competitive game. With over 100 individual, unique heroes from which to choose, as well as a variety of different game modes to mix up the drafting process, each game is an experience unto itself. No two games will ever be identical.

The one thing standing in the way of most players new to the genre of MOBAs is the unforgiving nature of the game. For better or worse, each mistake a player makes can be critical in the final outcome of the game, especially as the clock ticks on. In a couple of seconds, the entire tide of the game could swing heavily from one team to the other's if even one costly mistake is made. As a result of this, many players have developed a rather distasteful attitude toward others when mistakes are made. A word that is often thrown around is "toxic," which isn't inaccurate; the toxicity of the community can be a terrible deterrent to new players, and can actively inhibit growth of the game.

Thankfully, Valve have implemented ways in which to curb these behaviors through punishments dished out to players with nasty attitudes. Each player is given a number of "reports" per week, which can be issued against other players who have exhibited poor form, rudeness, excessive communication spam, or other infractions, and as a player accrues reports, he or she may face a communication mute or a number of games in the "low priority" queue, which is sort of like rehabilitation back into society.

While I have spent a lot of time talking about the negative aspects of the game, I want to stress that I have been playing Dota since 2004, and I don't see a stopping point in sight even yet. I am consistently captivated by the dynamic and interesting nature of the game, of each individual game, to offer me a unique, fun, and rewarding trade-off for my time commitment. There are few feelings in gaming as satisfying and enjoyable as coming away from a game with a hard-fought win against other players with good attitudes. It makes the bad stuff seem trivial by comparison.

In addition to the actual gameplay elements explored in this review, Dota 2 is part of the greater Steam Trading community, a collective of games featuring in-game economies and persistent item storage for players through the Steam platform. Even if you don't particularly like the game itself, item trading from player-to-player can be tremendously rewarding and fun, and if you're lucky, you could find yourself with an item worth up to many thousands of dollars.

Of course, with any relatively free market, there will be unsavory and dishonest individuals out there who will not blink an eye before attempting to scam you, rip you off, or otherwise take advantage of you. Thankfully, there are plenty of resources available to new traders, so do your research! In fact, if you need help, don't be afraid to add me directly and fire away. I'm always happy to help.

In conclusion, Dota and Dota 2 are without a doubt the games on which I have spent the most time playing. Each new game brings me a new, exciting experience, and as long as you remind yourself to maintain a positive attitude and resist the urge to treat your fellow player with disrespect, you will agree that it is among the best multiplayer experiences available anywhere.

Learn it, love it, and play on!
Posted July 7, 2014. Last edited November 16, 2014.
NS2 is a first-person, sometimes top-down humans vs aliens shooter, where a single player assumes the role of the commander at the beginning of the round. Each round is played until one of two victory conditions is met; One team annihilates the other's central structures, or one team forfeits.

But none of that matters. Play the gorge. BLLLUEEEHHH