Recent reviews by McVillain

Great game. Though there isn't a whole heap of side-missions/activities to do in the city (sandbox) that don't quickly become repetitive, the setting (Hong Kong), storyline and main character (Wei Shen) really make it a worthwile experience. The primarily melee combat was also a nice change from the usual heavy emphasis on guns. The story and gameplay have a nice progression, if a tad predictable, but other than that, I found it to be much more engaging that your average GTA - especially because of the foreign setting and triad vs authorities culture. The graphics can be a tiny bit lacking compared to the AAA PC standards of this year (they're not bad by any means), but the voice acting was great. The common switching between English and Cantonese was a particularly nice touch.

The only small things that bugged me were: a bit of a deadend / pointless mission or two, a small bit of recycled dialogue and (possible spoilers) the differences in the state of Wei Shen after a particularly brutal cutscene and the following gameplay (he shook off his crippling injuries too quickly for my liking), but that's a tiny complaint that's common in a lot of other games.

I wasn't expecting to like it this much, but I'd definitely rate it 4/5. I'd say to definitely pick this one up in a sale, even if you aren't sure about it - it was well worth 3-4 times what I paid (which admittedly wasn't too much, but still).
Posted December 11, 2013.