Recent reviews by JuiceboxHero

< 1  2  3 >
It is by far their best game, while also being the oldest.
Posted April 9.
Not exactly meant to be an in-depth review. It's definitely not the most groundbreaking game in the graphics department, but everything else is rock solid. Sure some things could be better, such as driving and the combat, but I am confident that CDPR will improve it over time.
Posted December 11, 2020.
I played this game when it first came out and it was absolutely fantastic. While it hasn't aged well in terms of graphics and gameplay, the story is fantastic and I really hope that with this re-release we will see them either remake it or give us a sequel. I'm so excited to play this again!
Posted September 29, 2020.
EDIT: I beat the game. It's honestly a great game and I'm glad they've gone this direction with Alyx. It means we will get more interesting stories within the Half-Life universe. Maybe a VR branch (Alyx) and a regular FPS with Gordon. I'm hoping the two stories eventually cross and we ultimately get closure with G-Man and finding out just what he and his employers are really up to..

## Original Review Below ##

So, I am only in Chapter 4 so far because Valve really brought the spook factor in to the game. Like holy cow.. but overall the story is really good, graphics are amazing, voice acting top notch.. it's everything you really expected from a Valve game to be honest. I really hope this ends up encouraging them to actually do Half-Life 3 now.. I wouldn't even mind it being a VR game too! They did such a great job with this game it's honestly kind of amazing.
Posted August 14, 2020. Last edited August 17, 2020.
It seems like in the end they managed to make a good product that is not only fun but "fairly" balanced. I say that in quotes because I'm sure someone knows better than I do. But from what I have personally played, it all felt pretty good. No issues finding a game to play which is quite surprising tbh.. finding it hard to find games in the US for Battlefield 4, 1, and 5. Most games in those seem to be EU.. tough latency for us US players.
Posted July 14, 2020.
Short little alpha demo but from what I've experienced it looks to be a rather solid experience. Voice acting could use work, but it's alpha so I'm sure we will see a lot of changes from now to release. Overall - it's like Path of Exile meets Albion Online. A pretty good combination if you ask me!
Posted July 11, 2020.
It's a pretty good game. Story is a little generic, but enjoyable. I never really liked "Souls-like" games but this one was pretty fun.
Posted June 20, 2020.
I just completed the first act and here are my thoughts so far:

Graphics:
If this matters to you then you should know it's actually looks really good! In terms of art direction this game very much feels like a Gears of War game.

Gameplay:
While the boss was tough once you understand the AI logic, which is pretty much get as close as they can and then use Overwatch, you can easily counter it by turtling through the missions. A good pro-tip is if a unit casts Overwatch on your location, cast Overwatch on theirs instead that way when you end your turn they'll move and take damage instead of you.. E-holes, close them up as quickly as possible otherwise you're going to get overwhelmed pretty quickly.

Unit Customization (weapon/armor upgrades) exists and is a central part of the game. I chose a specific set of units and turtled my way through the first act with almost no issues. RIP Tyrone April 28th, 2020 - April 29th, 2020... you were my best Heavy weapons guy. You died fighting the first boss, but it will not be in vain. You shall be replaced by someone pre-generated.. I'm thinking the Heavy weapons girl, Angel. She's a solid candidate!

Sound:
Voice acting is good and the sound effects of weapons, enemies, and environment is really well done too.

Story:
It's pretty good overall. I'm a little confused by one of the main characters screaming about fascism at the start of the game, seems like something like that would have been sorted out by this time. Fascism is the least of your worries when you got locusts swarming you from every direction, and I guess I just don't see what was fascist about the main character (Sgt. Diaz) so I honestly felt like that was some unnecessary political commentary.
Posted April 29, 2020.
Okay, start to finish was pretty good. I felt like they did some rearranging of the chapters but I could just be misremembering things since it has been a really long time since the last time I played Half-Life. I ran into a few bugs

* The guard in.. I think it's Forget About Freeman? Where you have to run to the guard house to get to the Lambda center.. for some reason I got inside too quick or something because the door shut behind me but he never triggered to talk and then unlock the door.

* Gonarch's Lair final battle, when Gonarch destroys the floor it fails to trigger the next sequence where it jumps onto the ground from the pillar.

I really hope that Crowbar Collective takes ownership of Half-Life and gives us the Half-Life 3 we've all been waiting for since Valve clearly has zero interest in doing it.
Posted March 21, 2020.
Think of it as a cross between Diablo, a Roguelike, and those first person point and click action games (Might and Magic comes to mind). It's not first person, it's isometric and really gives off that Diablo 1 vibes. I'm only an hour in and having a ton of fun, it's scratching that itch that I didn't know I wanted scratched. The tutorial quickly and effectively explains the mechanics of the game, then you dive deeper in from there which is wen the difficulty comes into play.

I'm playing on normal and so far it's not exactly a difficult game, but it does provide just enough challenge to make feel that sense of accomplishment when you've cleared a level.

I say if you want something that can scratch a Diablo itch but not be a traditional ARPG then this is a game you can enjoy!

I received a game from a friend as a gift since it has been on my wishlist for ages.. so I checked the box indicating it was free.
Posted March 1, 2020.