Recent reviews by Kaldaien

< 1  2  3 >
Do not buy this game, Ubisoft has inept moderators.

Special K is now "malicious software" and anyone who links to it will be permanently banned.
Posted October 14. Last edited October 15.
Excellent all-around experience.

I hope that Nixxes eventually improves the performance of the D3D11 renderer, because I found the game's HDR to be a bit disappointing. I had to modify the game in its D3D11 renderer to improve HDR image quality, but the net result is lower performance in some scenes :-\ I do not have time to develop my framework to support D3D12 at the moment, but I'm more than qualified to improve the game's HDR implementation.

Non-HDR users go ahead and play the D3D12 version, you'll get the superior experience.
Posted September 30.
This review has been banned by a Steam moderator for violating the Steam Terms of Service. It cannot be modified by the reviewer.
Looks like we have a buttload of threads, none doing anything suspicious (so far).

I think we're in the clear. Square Enix sold you a game with just Denuvo and not their own brand of assinine stability nightmare in a can like they did with FFXV and Crapcom later did with MHW.

And, of course.... the fact that I'm delighted we ONLY got Denuvo, that just shows I'm a big old shill, right? There's no rational explanation with you weirdos? :P This never stops being funny to me.

I will let you know if the port falls apart in my hands later or exposes some dirty secret (it is Square Enix after all). But so far, this is free from any sneaky stuff that I can tell and you might actually have been sold a game here, folks. A simple game, no code designed to murder you if you ever look at the game the wrong way. Progress!
Posted September 4. Last edited September 5.
Highly underrated game; I am going to be putting a fair bit of work into polishing this thing off. It deserves the TLC, and the port itself is very respectable.

I have a few technical issues I need to convey to SEGA, I'll keep the review updated if SEGA's willing to work with (some publishers have and I would love to be able to say SEGA's one of the good ones).

------

Also, since I'm the resident Denuvo shill? (lol). This game does not have Denuvo, anyone who tells you otherwise is mistaken. No shipping version of the game ever did.
Posted August 31.
Definitely not a release worthy game; freezes and stutters more than many JRPGs.

I unfortunately have already spent more than two hours trying to make the game playable and am no longer eligible for a refund. Save yourself the trouble and wait six months to a year.
Posted July 9.
When a Verilog and VHDL really love eachother... and JTAG watches.

It's the Simulink game you never asked for!
First of all, NISA... the elephant in the room needs addressing.
If you're going to use D3D11 and try to do stuff multi-threaded, use a 64-bit executable.

Memory allocation and thread pooling work much better in a 64-bit environment. 32-bit doesn't really expand your market share any but causes several compatibility headaches (including memory fragmentation in your resource manager). Please, NISA, stop fooling around with legacy APIs (i.e. WinMM for gamepad input and OpenGL 1.x as you did in Disgaea) and outdated ABIs. D3D11 / 64-Bit should be the target environment for software longevity.

I get the impression you believe that OLDER means more compatible, but you've got the whole PC development paradigm upside down. Old stuff is simply old, period.

I would encourage you to review the guidelines for authoring Windows Store software, Microsoft's policies for Windows Store are designed to reduce legacy software maintenance problems. You need not follow them, but they will give you a pretty good idea of the APIs and ABIs that are relevant / native / not running through compatibility layer redtape. Do this and I believe you will find PC development much less troublesome.

With that out of the way, I would like to point out that NISA patches their games more than any developer I have ever seen.

I personally believe this game is best suited for the Nintendo Switch, but PC will have a stable version by the time the Switch version ships. I have already authored a number of fixes for texture aliasing that guarantee image quality-wise, the PC version is where you would expect it to be. We just need NISA to polish the rest of the stuff :)

Take early reviews with a grain of salt because NISA's going to be busy patching this game for months if Disgaea is any indication. Price complaints are probably the only aspect of current reviews that will remain valid. I tend to agree, the asking price is not what it should be for a game that's not exactly finished.

I am leaving a positive review because I have faith NISA will stick with it, but ...

You shouldn't rush to buy this game by any means. Wait it out.
Posted May 1.
Buy the album, skip the game.
Posted April 30.
Went into this game expecting an interesting graphics engine to reverse engineer... came out entertained by the actual game!

I am quite surprised by just how simple this graphics engine is (simpler than FC4 it seems); single-threaded D3D11 w/ vertex, pixel and compute. No geometry shaders, no tessellation, no attempt to batch rendering across multiple threads. Virtually nothing under the hood looks period appropriate for 2018 aside from HDR support and a handful of BC6H/BC7 textures.

Fortunately the engine is not the star of the show!

The franchise has pulled-off a perfect 180 and this is a game you play because it is fun, not because you have an expensive GPU demanding torture ;)

Word of Caution: Easy Anti-Cheat is digging its hooks in deeper than the game's murder-happy turkeys.

I spent more time figuring out how to bypass EAC to analyze the game's engine than I ever should have had to for a game that can be enjoyed entirely offline.

EAC and Ubisoft, calm down please; more harm is being done than good when you cram this down our throats without a simple opt-out switch for those disinterested in multiplayer. Watch_Dogs 2 was the sensible approach, what you are doing here is overkill.
Posted March 30.
There is a dirty little secret lurking in plain sight. One that threatens to destroy any credibility Square Enix hopes to foster with their customers.

Its name? As best I can tell it refers to itself as "klang."

We cannot debug this game, and while that seems silly at first ("debug? that's Square Enix's job") stick with me here. When I play my games, I like to know how they work, I like to know what is causing any performance issues I encounter, most of all I like to be able to solve any incompatibilities in my own software for the better of the community.

Square Enix does not want anyone to do any of the above. My usual performance analysis is hindered greatly by this software and I spent an embarrassingly long time reverse engineering how simply to get my debug toolset up and running and whatever limited low-level performance analysis I could muster (very little).

One could argue what purpose does DRM serve after a game has been cracked? I do not know, nor do I really care, because my freedoms are not being trounced like they are here.

No version of this game in existence is giving any of its users the same freedoms they enjoy in even the most "Denuvo-infested" software. Denuvo software can be debugged if it crashes, Denuvo software can be performance profiled (and believe me, I spend a ton of time doing that and very much miss the ability to do it in any meaningful way in FFXV).

Anti-debug is protecting lord only knows what, and I suggest you ask Square Enix why we need anti-debug in something that already has ineffective anti-tamper protecting ineffective DRM? The only effective thing here is the anti-debug, and it is effective for all the wrong reasons and to all the wrong individuals.

This leaves us stuck with whatever limited feature set we get in whatever over-regulated Steam Workshop environment is eventually forced on the community.

A game should not force you to use its limited toolset, you should have the freedom to do as you please with it if you are willing to put the time and effort into low-level reverse engineering. You should not be left second guessing what performance impact the thing that is hiding everything from you has on the game and you should not be left wondering if it's not causing stability problems with the various tools and frameworks we enjoy on PC.

If this is modifiable, then please go do some soul searching Square Enix and come back when you learn what that word actually means. I will not be a part of this and I will be your staunchest adversary if you continue to claim that Final Fantasy XV "supports" modification.
Posted March 12. Last edited March 28.
< 1  2  3 >