Recent reviews by Illokonereum

I cannot fathom the 94% positive rating this game has. As someone who loves every Soulsborne game and has beaten each one multiple times, this is nothing like them. Salt and Sanctuary as well. The difficulty of Dark Souls and games like it comes from good design, the difficulty of this game comes from BAD design.
But I will start with what this game does right. The pixel graphics are gorgeous, and the game knows it. As you progress you continue to unlock new outfits which completely change your look and even sometimes animations, and that's something I genuinely appreciate. The music is acceptable. Some of the animations are very fluid and satisfying. Unfortunately that's where the positives stop because this game does just about everything else wrong.
Horribly translated dialogue means you have at best a vague idea of what's going on. I'm still not sure if Danche was a person, place, or organization because it's referred to as they and it at various points, and spoken of as if it takes individual actions.
Combat is clunky and unenjoyable. It lacks all of the fluidity a modern Metroidvania should have. You can swing your weapon twice before you're out of stamina, and for all the several levels I gained, my stamina, health, and damage never seemed to increase. For a game with even partial controller support it really wastes its button economy, and the gameplay suffers for it. Subweapons/spells are tied to the same buttons as movement and attacking, and its very easy to fire off a spell in the wrong direction because you're trying to evade enemies at the same time as actually ♥♥♥♥ing doing anything. Meanwhile I have at least three buttons that do nothing which could easily have been used for items/subweapons.
Movement can be described at best as slow and difficult. Control in a game with only 2 dimensions is the most important thing, but if I'm fighting the controls as much as the enemies I'm not having as good a time as I could be.
Then you have the Metroidvania aspects, where the game fails once more. Staples of the genre are shortcuts, powerups, and secrets. The one shortcut I've found thus far took me from a random pit in the ground... back to the save point I was just at. You find a great variety of weapons and subweapons, but they're all either "as good" as anything else, or outright useless. Nothing you get feels like an upgrade or an unlock.
Which brings me to the next point. The progression in this game is almost purely cosmetic. I've seen no notable difference in performance between the seven weapons I've obtained thus far. Just some different movesets that, because of the clunky combat, offer zero situational advantages based on the one you choose.
Conceptually great; weapon and item variety would be very welcome in a Metroidvania normally, but the execution of this, as with much else in the game, is poor. It is clear that very little care went into the design of this game, in its levels, encounters, and even fundamental gameplay. Half of each level is just instant death pits that you can't see because of the lighting, and the number of leaps of faith in any given level is actually impressive. Because the game takes the babby's first game development approach to its design, it tries to substitute killing you for entertaining you, mistakenly thinking that that's why you're here or the reason that games like Dark Souls are successful. This game isn't punishing you, it's just insulting you with its consistently poor design choices.
This became especially apparent to me after fighting an enemy that could kick you right off the map with zero counter play. If you get hit by the kick it's just over. Instead of making this long distance knockback the setup for a different ability it made it a cheap move that either knocks you back into the previous area resetting the enemy's health, or off a nearby cliff. It's not a boss either, just a horrendously designed optional fight that gives you a non-upgrade as a "reward" and loops you back to the save point you were just at. Add to that its multitude of ranged attacks which far outclass your own, a magic arrow spell chain that takes out 80% of your health and stunlocks you if you get hit by even one of them. Can be avoided, but good ♥♥♥♥ing luck because your I-frames don't last long enough to dodge through all of them. Again, just poorly designed and rewards circumstance more than skill, and is simply unsatisfying even when you eventually win.
This game lays the foundation for a great title, but fails to make good on any of its promises. The lack of polish across the board makes this a thoroughly unenjoyable game, and I wish I could see what everyone else apparently sees in this negative experience, because I do want to like it (and it's too late for me to get a refund).
Posted August 4.
Overview
I think this is the 4th or 5th time I've bought this game, and I've never regretted it. Neverwinter Nights is a phenomenal adaptation of D&D's 3rd Edition ruleset, even flawed as it is.
I think a lot of people are disappointed with the Enhanced Edition because it isn't "Enhanced" enough for them, but the game's migration to Steam is the most important part of it. Steam integration means the game is easier to play than ever, especially multiplayer. Mods are added with a single click, and Beamdog has done a lot of work to make sure that old mods are still compatible with the Enhanced Edition version. Some of the most popular mods of NWN history are now available in the Community Workshop, and more coming as the game's dedicated fanbase continues to treat the game with the love they have since the game's release more than a decade ago.
This Game Is Old and Imperfect
Neverwinter Nights has not aged the best, but it has a certain charm that the passage of time fails to dispel. The story is adequate, and holds up well enough. The depth of character customization and mechanics is there, but the simplified 3E system leaves a lot out of the mix that I know people would love to see. A lot of the more popular Prestige Classes aren't in the game, for example, and the PRC that added them isn't currently on the Workshop, but is supposedly being worked on for the EE. Someday.
Enhanced Edition Exclusives
The Enhanced Edition (Deluxe) brings with it more than just a tweaked engine and Steam integration. You also get procedurally generated infinite dungeons to play through with your friends, a number of fantastic premium modules (Darkness over Daggerford has been greatly enhanced with things like new music and voiceovers), and some less important stuff like new portraits. The best part of this is probably the Infinite Dungeons add-on, which is great to play with friends. Or would be if I had any.
Should You Buy?
Ask yourself the following questions:
- Do I mind outdated graphics?
- Do I hate single player RPG's with good stories?
- Do I hate D&D?
- Do I have no friends?

If you answered no to at least the first two, you should get the game. If you answered no to all of them, consider getting the Deluxe edition.
I came extremely close to refunding this game, but I chose to write a review instead. Maybe I'll change my mind in the future, because I really did want to like the game. Art's nice. Atmosphere has a good dark gothic tone, and the gameplay tries to reflect that, but fails in my opinion.
This game is a pseudo-Lovecraftian horror dungeon crawler where sanity/stress plays a part in your dungeon delving. My first experience with the game was relatively enjoyable, but game mechanics which at first seem interesting very quickly turn into obnoxiously tedious obstacles to actually enjoying the game. You gain a new affliction EVERY time you go into a dungeon because it's impossible to not get up to 100 stress for at least one party member and there's a good 90% chance you get an affliction from that. Only dodged it twice in three hours of play. And once that happens, your heroes start to think that skipping all their turns is a good idea and the entire game just becomes infuriating. Stress can only be removed by engaging in town activities, but OOPS, there's only one ♥♥♥♥ing slot per unless you spend 3 dungeons worth of heirlooms to upgrade it, and each activity costs 1000+ gold, so to de-stress all your heroes it takes all the gold you made on your last run as well. And you need to go on an expedition for those activities to take effect which means running with a second group, which is probably also already stressed, and collecting new afflictions for them as well. Gotta catch em all. Stress accrues at a rate far beyond the rate at which you can remove it, if you can at all. Most classes don't have an ability that removes stress, and the ones that do remove 6, and when you're already gaining stress every turn, and all your heroes are♥♥♥♥♥♥talking each other because that's a great mechanic, adding more stress, it's like♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥in the ocean trying to abate the stress buildup, and all the while wasting turns on top of it. Saying that the stress system is more unbalanced than a one-legged elephant on stilts would be to put it lightly. You can't carry nearly enough torches to keep the light up for longer dungeons, and camping feels pitifully useless, especially when you've already gotten stressed AND YOUR CHARACTERS DENY HEALING ABILITIES. Stress is an interesting idea for a game mechanic. I like the idea, but not the implementation. Certainly not when it's completely unmanageable.
This game does rogue-like wrong. There's no way to prepare for the things you'll face, or manage the problems your heroes rapidly accrue, and it all just snowballs downhill starting from the very first ♥♥♥♥ing mission. It's not challenging or complex, it's a slap in the ♥♥♥♥ing face for all your efforts, and then the game tries to tell you that you like it that way.
♥♥♥♥ off. Don't buy this game. Especially not for the full price tag.
Posted April 10, 2017.
I really enjoyed this game, and hope to see the finished product when it's released. In the early game, exploration was really fun, and reminded me a bit of Terraria in that aspect. Just exploring, learning more of the backstory, and encountering weird creatures and upgrading your gear all felt like things I wanted to do, and it wasn't until I started making the highest level armor, Jeweled at the time, that I began to feel bored.
With more gear, bosses, and story content, the game will be great.
EDIT: I had previously had issues with new engine, but reinstalling the game fixed it.
I definitely think the game is worth the price tag of $10 if you enjoy 2d sandboxes, especially since it's still in early access.
Posted March 5, 2017. Last edited March 14, 2017.
Really fun roguelike platformer, but it does get a bit repetitive. Worth the $5, but it gets stale after a couple hours. A bit more variety in levels and items would serve it really well. Rogue is OP.
Posted January 17, 2017.
I think this is the first negative review I've made.
TL;DR you play as some chameleon-eyed♥♥♥♥♥mother ♥♥♥♥er who can't jump right and is really bad at finding cool things.
It's been said by basically everyone; the map design and controls combine to make an experience that is very difficult to enjoy. But none of the reviews I read really went into detail about why the controls fail. The original Castlevania was even more static than this, but it was fine because the enemies were also very rigid in their movement and attack patterns. In this game, you're expected to be making wall jumps and avoid flying enemies and projectiles that can move at any angle while still being stuck with very stiff movement. In short, the enemy and level design are in direct conflict with the fundamentals of how the game plays. Half the time you'll engage with an enemy, but have nowhere to jump because the hallways are all too short, and no way to back off quickly enough to avoid whatever it's probably shooting at you, and with the starting sword, you have be just about inside of an enemy to hit it. I found a shield once, but it had a durability bar that didn't recharge, and you couldn't move while using it, rendering it just about useless. The shield was also the only thing I found during my playtime besides health potions, so I can't even speak for any cool powerups to be found.
The problem with the platforming is that your jump momentum remains constant, even if you let go of whatever directional button you had pressed. I'm a novice when it comes to programming, but this should be an extremely fundamental problem that would take very little change to fix, but the devs have ignored it regardless. Wall jumps are wonky, and with how often you have to do them, it gets old quick. With the movement and combat as it is, trying to navigate the dungeons, I feel I'm fighting the controls more than the enemies. It simply lacks the mechanical fluidity we expect of a modern metroidvania game.
The idea is nice, and with some polish, it could be a great game, but it's received no love from the devs. The game's main saving grace is that the pixel art environments look pretty good. Get it if it's like 75% off and you're willing to subject yourself to the endless repetition of "how was I supposed to avoid that" deaths, or if they ever revamp the controls.
Posted January 16, 2017.
Overview
The concept is really solid. It's a roguelike dungeon crawler. Similar in style to a twinstick, but you've got a handful of buttons to contend with. You pick a starting spell, ez pz. They all suck, so don't stress it too much. You pick one of 19 blessings, which are passive effects that give minor bonuses or helpful effects for your character, and one of 19 classes, each of which has a unique active ability, varying greatly in type and use.
That's all fine and good, but the real thing is the spell crafting system. You pick up runes and combiners from enemies as you play, and can create spells from these runes using the combiners. Here is where the depth comes in, with hundreds of possible combinations from all the runes through single, double, and triple combinations. Unfortunately, not all spells are created equally, and some will be more effective than others. Finding these spells combinations is a huge part of the fun, and most of your early hours in the game will be spent testing out rune combinations.
From there it's a pretty standard roguelike dungeon crawler. You've got procedurally generated rooms and floors, rooms full of enemies, some extras thrown in in the form of event rooms and room effects, and apparently bosses, but I never got far enough. Completing the event rooms will net you a bonus, which can be a minor constant buff like +5% damage, or an effect, like one I encountered where enemies killed had a chance to create a black hole that drew other enemies into it. This gives the game a bit more chance and variation per playthrough, which is a staple of the roguelike genre, though at times I feel these events were conceptualized without the game mechanics in mind. One had me trying to push objects into holes with a room full of enemies, and it cost me the run trying to work around the enemies to awkwardly push these objects when you already don't have great mobility, and also a bunch of enemies crowding you. But in general, the gameplay is fun, if a bit repetitive. For the most part, it's kill the enemies in the room, and then kill the next room full of enemies, so on and so forth, ad infinitum, as roguelikes tend to be.
It doesn't really matter, but the graphical style is simple and charming. It runs smoothly, and it only crashed once in several hours, and I was able to go back to the level and run I was on after restarting, so no real harm done.
I personally didn't have an opportunity to try the multiplayer, but it apparently has that.
Extras
The game also features challenges, some of which are available immediately, others need to be unlocked through play. Some challanges involve creative use of spells you have learned in order to complete a task, while others are literally just poorly made luck simulators a la the "target practice" challenge that really comes more down to "Will ten erratic enemies move into the path of my slow moving fireball within twenty seconds" and not actual player skill and accuracy, but some of them are fun, and they're worth messing around with for a little spice in the otherwise samey gameplay.
Verdict
Overall I give the game a 7/10. While the game is very promising, and builds itself on a strong foundation, it doesn't utilize it's potential fully, and in some cases, misuses it's own design to the players detriment.
All in all, it's a decent game, and well worth checking out if its on sale, or just if you like roguelike dungeon crawler types.
Posted December 27, 2016.
As a beta tester, I've probably spent more time in the game than most. The game has been almost constantly running since I downloaded it, and I do have some opinions to share.
I've played Runescape since 2007, and in general, would recommend this primarily to someone interested in the lore of the game, or someone who is just looking for something to play in the background. As far as clicker games go, there's not much to say. It's ok in that regard, but at times I feel as though it's a little TOO afk. Every five minutes you can use a click spam ability, and that doesn't get you much and is a little too tedious to rely on. Various abilities varying from 5 minute cooldowns to 24 hours may be used to speed things up temporarily, but work best when used together, the synergy of which is done pretty well.
What separates this from many other clicker games is the quests, which offer some dialogue in the style we've come to know from Jagex. A little bit funny and generally enjoyable, but not terribly important. They also provide unique rewards as you may be used to from Runescape proper, and it's a lot of fun discovering these rewards for the first time.
Which brings us to gear. You may wear armor, weapons, and accessories which compliment your attributes and make what you do more effective or yield better results. These bonuses will vary greatly by item, but generally affect skill speed, output, or the cost of training.
Training happens much the way you'd expect: You have all the same skills you have in Runescape, and they are trained through use. However, you may also train them using anima, a sort of blanket currency.
Anima is used to train skills and add more townspeople to your skill nodes, which improves their anima yield. It's essentially like any other clicker game in that regard, but instead of coins, it's blue/red stuff which represents the latent energy of the world and is more lore relevant.
In regards to lore, Sal/Sally's character has a lot of very interesting lore implications, and this is the reason why I'd recommend it for those interested in RS lore. Obviously no spoilers here, but it doesn't take a lot of time to play through the game a bit and see what I mean. I'd also expect a tie-in sometime down the road with the full game, because Sally seems to be developing into a very important character in the on-going god/fate kerfuffle of RS.
My main issues with the game are that it is not as user friendly as it could be, and I feel like certain aspects could be more engaging. An area map with obvious skill specific spots instead of some vague boxes would be a lot more intuitive for players (e.g. the farming node depicts a woman in a dirt pen with a pickaxe), and switching areas could be done with cycle arrows rather than opening a full-blown map (or both). The map is nice and all, but hinders smooth area transition, which is especially annoying when an ability is active and you want to hit a skill in a different town, or make another dungeon run.
Following, making dungeon crawls more interesting, and give more feedback would serve the game's longevity. As it stands, after a certain point, all that will remain is gaining anima and dungeons. There can be only so many world threads (essentially NG+) before you run out of content. I believe dungeons would serve from being expanded upon. A more in-depth combat system with the option for auto-play. Something more analogous to RS3's combat system. The inclusion of sprites, and more complex boss fights would create a system that is more engaging and rewarding than just a static image that flashes when you hit it. Perhaps the inclusion of Dungeoneering as a more involved skill, with more unique dungeons, and the opportunity to better use the skills you train would suit the game. Regardless of how it is done, I believe the combat system needs to be expanded upon for people to maintain interest in the game.
On a minor note, more uses for anima, such as in-game shops, would be a very nice addition.

In summary: The game is fine as far as clickers go. There are interesting lore implications, and the inclusion of the quest system helps to set it apart from more generic titles in the idle/clicker genre. UI user friendliness could be improved to streamline the experience. Skills are for the most part trained and employed in adequate ways, but the dungeon system needs definite improvement to stand as some form of "end-game" content. There needs to be more uses for anima. In general, the game is worth taking a look at, but could be improved. I believe with improvement it would be one of the better clicker games out there, given what it has to offer. If you like Runescape, and clicker games, give this one a shot, and maybe toss some suggestions at the devs.
- At the time of this writing, the game is only in early access.
Posted September 4, 2016.
A Review For Newcomers
This game is a treasure.
For the vets, the game is at its heart no different from the PS3/360 original, save for looking better, essentially. It plays well with keyboard or mouse, and in general is solid. I have noticed some funky skin texture glitches where there will be odd dark shades, but that could just as easily be on my end. Beyond that, it's the same game you know and love, and it even includes all the DLC. If you missed the pre-order, you didn't lose much, just the artbook and soundtrack. So, without further ado...

The Baseline:
Dragon's Dogma is a top-tier action adventure fantasy RPG with a dynamic combat system that honestly can't be compared to any other game I've played. It was oft likened to Skyrim for being open world, and Dark Souls because you die a lot early on, but these similarities are superficial at best.

In Dragon's Dogma, you hack, slash, use a wide variety of abilities and spells, climb on monsters to target weak points, throw objects such as boxes, pots, rocks and explosives, and you can even use things like ballistae where they're available.

With that out of the way, let's take a more detailed look at aspects of the game.

Combat/Classes
The combat system of this game is widely praised, and you may often hear people say things like, "X with [h]Dragon's Dogma's[/h1] combat would be the perfect game."
There are nine classes. Three basic, three advanced, and three hybrid. Each plays in its own way. There are a ton of awesome abilities, and the high level spells in particular are amazing to see. You can find a ton of videos on youtube to satisfy your curiosity without really spoiling anything. Lots of great combo potential, tactical usage per the situation, and elemental weaknesses for enemies encourage the player to experiment. By and far, THIS is what people think about when they think of Dragon's Dogma.
Additionally, each class gets unique perks that may be used by any class! Such as Bonus damage at night, improved casting times, better healing with curatives, and so on. This incentivises using multiple classes.
However, each class gets different stats when leveling up, so make sure you're on the track to the build you want. This can get really complex.

Character Creation
The character creation is simplistic, but also has a lot of potential. Rather than a lot of vague sliders for features and colors, you get a large number of base choices and can make minor changes beyond that with a handful of very straightforward sliders, like position or size, and it keeps it all simple so you aren't wasting half your play time on the character creation. I quite like this as I am the type to spend hours on perfecting every small detail if given the chance. This instead lets you create a satisfying character without wasting too much time.

Second, the height and weight of you character MATTER. Larger characters can hold more and have better stamina usage, throw things easier, pick up larger things, etc. Smaller characters move faster and get better stamina recovery rate.
Taller characters may wade in deeper water without their latern going out, have better weapon reach, but are easier to hit. And the larger and taller your character is, the more resistant they are to knockdown and stagger effects as well as high winds. Shorter characters can get into small spaces where other characters can not, and may find it easier to navigate around a large enemy to avoid attacks. This is the only game I've known that does this. You may not notice it at first, but the scope of it is impressive.

Music
The music in this game is beautiful. The battle music, the iconic main theme "Eternal Return", and even the peaceful music of safe areas all play to the tune of the game world, and fit well. Little else to say.

Pawns
This game has another kind of uniqueness to it. The Pawn System, wherein players may design a companion for themselves, which can be made to complement their playstyle, make up for weaknesses, or just be cute, I guess. These pawns may be conscripted by players from other worlds, because, as you will find out the game revolves greatly around themes of cyclicality, with heroes of the past having walked your path many times over. Other players may adventure with your pawn while you're away, and they will rate and reward your pawn with items. Usually you just get rocks or curatives and consumables, but I like to occasionally send people off with a rare armor set or weapon.
This is also how "trading" functions. You summon someone's pawn, give it items, and send it off. They do the same for you, and it involves a certain amount of trust.

Story/Plot
I love the story. I love the utterly epic conclusion. I love the reflexivity of the beginning and end. I love the multiple potential endings. I love that there are special rewards for beating the game, or speedrunning it.
What I do not love is that the game is 40 minutes long. Honestly. I did a speedrun of about 45 minutes. The main story is laughably short, despite being great in and of itself. The real fluff of the game comes from sidequests and the player's own incentive to explore. That can easily get you 70 hours, though, so it makes up for the minimal main plot, which consists of:
A seemingly traditional hero versus dragon storyline, with a much deeper undertones. When the Dragon of legend attacks the home town of the player character, they are soundly defeated and have their heart taken by the Dragon. The player seeks to aid the realm in the defeat of this Dragon, and so travels to the capitol; Gran Soren. Upon arriving, the plot begins to truly unfold. You learn more of the nature of the Pawns, and of a cult that worships the Dragon. You learn of your role as the Arisen, and after an amount of lollygagging and aiding the people of the town, you come to be seen as a hero. As a true champion should, you eventually make an attempt at defeating the Dragon, and you discover the true nature of the world of Gransys, and the Dragon that consistently attacks it.
This dragon comes around every so often to wreak havoc until a hero, called the Arisen, rises to the occasion and defeats it. The Arisen is a chosen hero, selected by the Seneschal, who is the previous Arisen. Should the Arisen succeed in their mission to defeat the Dragon, the world will change as a rift is opened, powerful enemies surge forth, and the sky turns dark. At the end of this rift, the Arisen meets the Seneschal, an all powerful being who controls the world and the flow of time and fate. The Seneschal guides the world until such a time as when a new Arisen shall come forth, to once again defeat the Dragon, and take their place as the Seneschal. The best part? The next time you beat the game, the Seneschal will be your previous character, OR the character of another player, as well as the pawns of that character. Should the player, however, FAIL in their quest to defeat the Dragon, or the Seneschal, there are other endings. The player may cut a deal with the Dragon, and become the Duke of Gran Soren. Should the player triumph over the Dragon, yet fail to defeat the Seneschal, they will instead be reincarnated as the next Dragon in the cycle. Meaning this is the only game that lets you literally eat your heart out.
Themes of destiny and cyclicality are prominent in the story, and characters you forge relationships with in your first playthrough remain, in a way, through the ones that follow. The basic plot is acceptable, but it is the reality of the story, once you've truly beaten it, that makes the plot as a whole great, and sets it apart from other games.

Continued in comments
Posted January 16, 2016. Last edited January 16, 2016.
Ignore my play time. I played it for several days on the PS4, and my verdict comes from my time spent on that.

Bottom Line:
This game is a lot of fun, and there's a lot to do if you're a completionist. The game does well with its crafting system and the simplistic but enjoyable combat, but it falls short in other regards.

Further Consideration:
Crafting: The crafting system is relatively expansive. There's a lot to make, and some really cool items. However, unless you have a relevant recipe, you can't know if that propeller. golden string, or collection of 33 left socks you've been lugging around will ever actually be a part of anything important. You can always drop an item, as it will persist there, but then it becomes very easy to lose things, and backtracking to your favorite hub any time you want to make a trade-off isn't always an attractive option, as there is no form of fast travel, and while the islands are not massive, there are zombies all over the place all the time, and they enjoy getting in your way.

Combat: The combat I have no real qualms with. It's simple and fun, and at times challenging. There are a variety of weapons, and each serve a purpose. Though I would have preferred a wider variety of melee weapons. I played on Ironman difficulty from the very start and didn't find it too frustrating. However, this also means I haven't played any of the other difficulties, and thus can't judge them.

Inventory: Inventory could be a hassle. There wasn't enough space to hold everything you could want, and there was no easy way of storing items. Dropping them clustered in a self-designated area was the best you could get, though a player just starting out probably wouldn't think of this, and I once lost 73 pieces of cloth by dropping it and forgetting to go back to it. My opinion is each island should have had storage at the boat or plane you arrived by.

Characters: They're... ok. There's nothing really special about them beyond a slight variance in stats, their abilities, and the flavor text you get when picking them. One can make crossbows that others can't, one can make special bombs that other's cant, one can make... You get it. Pick whoever appeals to your personal sense of vanity the most and you'll pretty much be just as well off as any other character.

Music: The music never stood out to me. I never stopped and thought "Oh, that's nice," and I tend to pay attention to the music in games. It's nothing special. Not good or bad.

Multiplayer: Was disappointing. XP isn't shared, quest rewards only go to one player, players can damage each other, and there seemed to be a lot of errors with the connection. So imagine a scene where one player is one-hitting all the enemies trying to catch a deer while the other player is level one, has a stick, and sees the deer in an entirely different place than it is for the one chasing it. The one with the stick killed the deer because it didn't move on their screen. Beyond that, the game plays essentially like single player, except it's nearly impossible to play ranged unless everyone is doing it because you'll keep hitting the other players. This could make ammo conservation difficult as I don't believe item rates increase with multiplayer.
Additionally, there doesn't seem to be any real reason TO SURVIVE when in multiplayer as you can revive each other to around 40% health. Low on health after an encounter? Just kill each other. There's no penalty.
Since none of the early mentioned issues are toggleable, that's where the issue comes in. It would be workable for two experienced players who want to play together, but it's not the kind of game you can sit down with a new player and have them enjoy it seriously. You can always have a bit of fun bashing each other's heads in, but that gets old quick.

Story/Single Player: Take into account all the earlier points since those essentially are the game. I'll bother to spoiler it, but still don't read ahead if you care about the story. There's a twist at the end that could ruin it for someone who isn't already a ways through the game.
The story is minimal and not entirely engaging. You find yourself shipwrecked on an island after your distress beacon is answered, and you find yourself trying to survive on an island of the dead, with only a stick and some strange books to aid you. Amongst putting in motion your plan to escape, eventually you meet Kovac: an enigmatic survivor of the islands, and the author of the books you've been finding.

After coming to the brilliant conclusion that you'll need a seaplane to escape the islands, you set to work on fixing one and finding what you need to make it work, and that takes up the entirety of the game's story. Add in some annoying monkeys for side quests, and you've got How To Survive.

Upon fixing the plane, helping everyone from the♥♥♥♥♥end of everywhere with every little thing, finding a pilot, and starting the plane, you are confronted by Kovac, who turns out to be the cause of your situation, and he doesn't want you to leave. He insists that you stay and become the ultimate survivor. It is hinted at during the game that Kovac is a villain, and this serves as the big dramatic twist that everyone saw coming to wrap up the mediocre story of the game.

Now, you could have gone all the way through the game without exploring a number of islands, and while I'm sure there's more to them, the overall story ends here. The game doesn't have a lot of replayability. There isn't much incentive to play it again after you're done. I could see getting maybe two runs out of it. One solo, and maybe another with friends if you can tolerate it.

TL;DR: The strongest parts of the game are the combat and crafting. It does have its flaws though, and the multiplayer is pretty weak.
Overall: 8/10
Multiplayer: 5/10
Posted August 17, 2015. Last edited August 17, 2015.