Recent reviews by Jon Irenicus

This game pulls no punches and can be extremely brutal due to the RNG. Losing is fun, prepare to die numerous times and restart from the beginning. The pinnacle of Roguelikes.
Posted November 27, 2017.
I bought this game because it reminded me a lot of one of my most favorite games, Railroad Tycoon 2(RRT2). Although it's not quite like RRT2, there's a lot more industries/resources that you have to manage and overall it's a very fun game to try managing. The objective is mainly to upgrade all existing industries on the map from level 1 to level 3 as well as meeting the requirements of every town (there's I believe 1125 towns). Overall it was a pretty enjoyable experience and I can recommend it fully. The biggest area of improvement for this game that I can see is allowing your trucks to setup two-way routes instead of the current one-way system. That would greatly enhance the gaming experience IMO.
Posted March 10, 2017.
Pros:
+ It's the Catan we all know and love

Cons:
- The dice are not random. Save a game and then play a round. Load the same save again and then watch as the same exact numbers are rolled.
- Random crashes all the time.
- Seemingly abandoned by developer. No updates other then language localization in well over 1.5 years.
- Tutorial is basically nonexistant. They just throw you into a normal game.
- Unintuitive User Interface. No tooltips that popup to help you figure out what is what.
- Game bugs out constantly and when you roll the dice, it actually gives you resources for a completely different number.
- No online multiplayer, only hotseat.

I can keep going with the negatives however there is no point. I would simply avoid getting this game as the frustration of bugs/crashes is much higher then the fun value.

Posted October 11, 2015.
Positives:
* Probably the most fun TD game I have played so far. Lots of tower variety that lets you pick your strategy.
* I like the concept of using cards to help your towers get better. Fusing cards to upgrade towers and their abilities. Would love to see this aspect evolved more in a future game to create whole new towers.

Negatives:
* Small map selection leads you to play the same maps repeatedly.
* Overall map size is fairly small. Sometimes I wish for bigger map sizes like in Defense Grid where you can make the enemies choose the path.
* No ability to go back a wave or two such as in other games like Defense Grid. This means if you mess up tower placement or something else you have to restart the entire round.
* Developer seems to have abandoned the game for the android/facebook platform. As such the main story leaves you hanging with a very incomplete ending to the story.
Posted March 17, 2015.
I used to have a negative review because of the many issues this game has had since release and the dev at that time Playdek's inattention to fix them (the dev as of spring 2018 is now Asmodee Digital). With the changing of the dev's, Asmodee has rebuilt the game from the ground up in the Unity engine, and it is pretty much exactly what I always expected it to be. There are still issues to be addressed, such as broken achievements, and slow AI gameplay however the experience now is very much enjoyable. The base game provides you with a lot of the expansions already, and I am glad to pay for the DLC for a game that has brought me this much enjoyment to date. I look forward to the future expansions and I can honestly if you enjoy card games, this is a very good one to play.
Posted December 24, 2014. Last edited July 4, 2018.
3,681.1 hrs on record (2,987.5 hrs at review time)
This review/rating can be divided into two sections pre/post F2P(June 23, 2011). It is very important to distinguish between these two because they are really two different games.

Pre-F2P TF2 (10/10) - For the first few years of TF2's existence, the game managed to have an absolute killer dynamic with a great playerbase that relied heavily on teamwork and a great community fostered by Valve's friendliness to the modding community. Valve really worked with the community to create new scenarios, maps, and weapons these first few years that helped vastly improve the game.

Post-F2P TF2 (5/10) - The easiest way to describe the state of the game today would be a male dress-up Barbie simulator. I don't fault Valve for trying to capitalize on a game that is at the time of this writing over 7 years old, but the best times for this game are now well past. There's just too many new hats and new weapons to choose from, from which the majority are useless. Sure there are still plenty of servers to play in, but the majority of the servers are devoid of players with skill, microphones, and teamwork. There's still a few fun servers (see the No-Heroes servers) but donating is about the only way you will be able to see the inside of one of these servers when its full. The only bright side is that Valve is still adding new content with multiple updates a year.
Posted December 3, 2014.
6/10

It's MTG with 1/4 of the cards!! The best thing about MTG has always been about the ability to create your own deck and make it work. This game takes all that away from it and gives you prebuilt decks that you have to pay $$ for each one. The matchmaking for multiplayer playing isn't very good as well.
Posted June 24, 2014.
9.5 out of 10

This game is basically like Rome: Total War focusing more on the cultural and city development then the battles. Extremely in depth, games can last forever. Learning curve a bit steep, but the reward is well worth it.
Posted June 1, 2011.