Recent reviews by 🌟Tohru🌟

THIS GAME IS SO GOOD. WHY DID IT GET REMOVED? REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Posted November 11.
Let me start this off by saying that, with both PC and Switch combined, I've had easily over 200 hours dumped into Paladins. So I've got a lot of hands-on experience with both PC AND Console versions of the game. Not only because I'm a big fan of what Paladins was and can possibly be if given the extra time and polish, but as a safety net from all of the angry 13 year olds who will inevitably bombard this review's comments with insults in hopes of getting me to break down and apologize for ever daring to criticize their 'flawless' Free-To-Play shooter. No. I'm not sorry and I never will be. Paladins had it's chances.

I feel like one thing that should be addressed right off the bat is the simple fact that none of the four terms used to describe character classes in paladins(Damage, Flank, Support, Frontline) hold any weight anymore. The game has a thick layer of customization in the form of loadout decks which effect how your champion plays. This means if you want to run a damage spreading healer class for Pip, it's completely possible with the right loadout. While this is good addition, it also means that just about any champion can do the job of another champion class as long as they have the right loadouts. The build I mentioned earlier effectively turns Pip into a strange Damage/Flank hybrid with Area Of Effect healing at pretty much any distance he thinks to throw a potion. And of course, you can stack the effects of the in-game item shop in matches to make some ridiculously powerful builds(Some of which being completely busted like Damage Jenos). Whether or not this is a bad thing is completely up to you. I think it's alright in some places but extremely obnoxious with other champions to the point of leaving the game's competitive environment in a constant state of confusion.

The Talent system is something meant to add an extra layer of depth to the game, but it's actually completely pointless because it effectively forces the game into what it was before the feature got introduced. For a game so hellbent on trying to make people play the game differently, Hi-Rez didn't think much of this through. A single talent for a champion can make about 6 other ones completely obsolete in high level play. The Dev team didn't put in the time to overlook every potential interaction between the many champions. Which I totally understand since, as of right now, the game has over 30. But a lot of 'unique' champion talents are just better or worse versions of talents that can be found elsewhere. This can often force you to pick a champion you don't personally want to play just for the sake of filling a spot in your team with the best version of a specific talent you have access to. Though, this is assuming you even have the right champions. This segways into a bigger problem with the game.

The main way of getting access to new champions is made exceedingly tedious once you've reached around Level 20 and earned most of the achievement rewards.(Like tanking 100,000 damage in a match for example.). Let's talk gold. Gold is the in-game currency used to buy champions and at least ONE skin for each champion. The average amount of gold you're going to have to use to purchase ANYTHING with gold is 30,000 or over. This wouldn't be an issue if only your average winnings from a fight weren't only a measly 200 gold IF you perform well enough to earn it. This means that you're earning an approximate 2,000 gold every 10 matches if you don't count the average 400-ish gold you get from finishing the daily quests, plus the login rewards that don't give you much. It'd take you a week of non stop playing in training mode just to get yourself a new champion. By that time you wouldn't even want to play the game anymore because of the agonizingly slow grind it took to get a champion that may not even be as good as you think they will be.

This can be remedied by buying a $30-40 "Champion Pack" that Hi-Rez indirectly forces you to buy by making the free to play grind as tedious and frustrating as possible. And it's not like the money even goes to fixing the game. The DLC for this game added together is $165. What you're getting for that is every Champion, gold(Which is completely obsolete once you have every champion anyway), XP boosters(This mostly gives you gold when you level up, worthless) and battle passes for every season of the year which will likely only get you only half of what ONE $10 season battle pass for Fortnite can get you. And what exactly does this money go to? Well, not fixing the game. It goes to producing more useless skins that cause even more problems for actual gameplay. So they take your money, pocket most of it, and use the remaining cash to make more skins you never asked for so you can toss more money back at them. It's scummy and I honestly hate that.

The game itself is bug ridden with several ways to clip into every map using even the most basic of movement oriented champions. As well as hitboxes so big and laggy that you could theoretically get headshots just by popping people in the chest. The game itself is a complete buggy mess and it only takes around 30 minutes to find a bug for yourself. Not only that, but the game runs equally poor. It crashes insanely frequently on both switch and PC, and will often lock you out and force you to delete your config just for changing one too many of the in-game graphics settins. It's pretty damn clear that Hi-Rez doesn't care about the game.

This is why I DO NOT recommend paladins. The better option is to simply play Fortnite or wait for Overwatch to go on sale. Better yet, go play TF2. That game gives you all of the content without any necessary grind for anything that isn't purely cosmetic. Don't play this game.
Posted August 11. Last edited August 11.
1,909.4 hrs on record (1,817.9 hrs at review time)
First let me start off by saying I love Team Fortress 2, it's characters, and the content we've gotten for the game thus far. I've dueled a lot, I've grinded away at this game for as long as I've owned a computer strong enough to run it, and my hours certainly don't lie. Even now as I'm writing this review, I still play the game regularly simply because the gameplay is addicting enough to drag me back when I've got nothing better to do. But we need to talk.

Perhaps I'm just on a bad loss streak, suffering from mental fatigue, or having trouble adjusting to my more powerful computer.(Yes, the jump from 15 frames to between 60 and 80 is a significant one.) But this game CERTAINLY has issues that become progressively more jarring and frustrating to put up with during longer play sessions because of how inescapable they are. And the fact that a very vocal portion the community is always so quick to verbally attack you for daring to criticize their game doesn't help much...

Then again, they seem to think that being rude and obnoxious through trolling, hacking, or votekicking innocent people as a punchline to their unfunny inside jokes makes them funny and original so perhaps those individuals simply don't comprehend the english language beyond racist and homophobic slurs and can't quite put their true feelings for the game into words without having an outburst. It's not fun to laugh at handicapped people, so I'll leave it at that.

The game undoubtedly has some issues that have been around for a very long time, but nobody bothers voicing said opinions because they're afraid of being made fun of, annoyed with the idea of being told "Git gud nub", or simply stubborn and not willing to changed the game for fear of it becoming more like the dreaded OVERWATCH(What a boring game that is...)

One of the most notable being the current content drought. Now, I'm in no position to talk about this as several youtubers who make a living off of this game have already covered the topic in much greater detail than I ever could.
Please refer to this video from Pyrojoe on the topic. Joe is a TF2 vet who knows their stuff when it comes to TF2 and it's updates way better than I do.

Now what I CAN talk about is a list of minor gameplay issues that pile up to become a rather large issue. And I'm gonna list them off real quick before giving small summaries regarding them and why I believe they should be addressed.
-Bad Hitboxes
-Netcode and lag compensation
-Explosive Classes and Afterburn
-Sniper... Just.. Sniper
-The competitive matchmaking(Or lack there of)
-Lack of incentive to play Casual

Now, this first one is definitely a bit of a harsh one since the TF2 team is so damn tiny(And even smaller seeing how Valve would much rather work on a stupid, rich hipster gimmick like VR rather than the game itself). But please explain to me how after 11 years of the game being this way, there is STILL no fix for the broken hitboxes? There's no excuse for snipers to still be capable of popping you in the face WITHOUT aiming at your head, or Spies being able to BACK stab you from the FRONT. So much of this could be fixed just by adjusting the hitboxes to better line up with the classes and how their models move in action. Hell. Even SHRINKING some hitboxes mildly would drastically improve the game and how it gets played. But of course, you can't fix this without also addressing point number 2, which is what a lot of people will try to use as an excuse for this.

Netcode and lag compensation. Now you would think that Jungle Inferno, as the most major update we've gotten towards TF2's casual matchmaking and general gameplay, Valve would maybe put in the effort to try and prevent players with 200 ping in one area of the world from being matched with players with reasonable ping in the same area(Between 20 and 50), but of course this just isn't the case. There's also an exploit in the game that involves the CL_interp command as shown here. It's pretty much as close to cheating as you can get without scripts. Super unfair.

You see, Lag compensation actually works to benefit the laggy player. But not in the reasonable way you would think. See, someone can easily create an artificial lag of sorts by changing their interp rates through configs or the ingame console. It's the reason some spies can consistently stab people from the front or by backing into them. It's only become more exploitable after jungle inferno. It was at least MANAGEABLE before, but now it's just another annoyance that you can't really get rid of without playing in a way you might not want to play.

Of course the primary way to get rid of these players is to play a class that requires very little skill or aim like Demoman, Soldier, or Pyro. All three classes that are obnoxiously brainless and sometimes untouchable because their kits are built around doing.. Well.. Nothing. Sweaty roamer soldiers will swear to you that what they do takes a ton of time and effort. But other than hopping across Upward and doing flashy rocket jumps that don't even change the tide of battle most of the time, soldier's actual combat skill ceiling can be touched within one's first 5 hours of the game because the class comes down to "Just shoot in the other person's general direction while walking forward and make sure to shoot EVERY surface they stand next to. Splash damage will do the rest for you." . The same applies to Pyro minus the splash damage part.. Demoman is a special case where he's brainless to deal damage with, but he requires smart positioning. Without some level of coordination and intelligence, you won't be able to get much done as Demoman.

Sniper is another class where good positioning is required at the very least, but in actual combat he's actually what is possibly the highest DPS in the game despite the fact that his playstyle is the Valve equivalent of an educational point and click adventure game disguised as Quake. Being capable of dealing a straight 150 damage in an instant to any class from any distance with only a SECOND of waiting time between shots. This means a SNIPER, what is meant to be a Supportively offensive pick class becomes as dangerous in active combat as the Soldier, who is meant to be the most oppressive class in the game. Being capable of taking on whole teams by himself as long as he has the reflexes to click a few heads. Not that it even matters since it's not very hard to aimbot and hide it. With a game as customizable as TF2, everyone is only a few copypastes and file movements away from being a "Pro Sniper" who never misses heads.

The game is riddled with script kiddies who all seem to take pride in the fact that they're ruining the game for everyone else. Though hackers aren't the only issue with Sniper, as his playerbase is generally a very toxic one that has no problem with insulting everyone in the server because they landed a headshot or two. It's almost as if they come straight from Black Ops 4 lobbies. Only a small percentage of these players are worth the praise that sniper mains crave. But those voices will never be heard because the competitive matchmaking for this game doesn't freakin' exist.

Competitive matchmaking in TF2 is a total joke. 20 minutes for a 5 minute match that will most likely just end in you being spawn camped for long amounts of time OR being on the team that is spawncamping because the other team has no idea how to fight you. Typically being players with only 12 or so hours who wish to become better at the game and suppose competitive is the answer because... Well. WHERE ELSE would one go to get experience with seasoned players? Definitely not Casual while it's starving for any actual reason for players to pick it rather than "The community servers are toxic" There's no reward for it all.
Posted June 30. Last edited October 9.
As someone who has played the vast majority of games in the visibly inconsistent yet successful sonic franchise, I can say that while this game isn't the best game in the catalog, it isn't the worst either. It sits in the middle with games that are just average. But this isn't necessarily a bad thing as this game is an example of Sega's gained knowledge from their mistakes and the hopes for them to start a new line of games to save the franchise are anything but absent.

Sonic Forces isn't a game for all fans of the franchise, but it is a highly recommended game for casual gamers and those who enjoyed the the boost formula more built up from Colors than Generations or Unleashed. The game is extremely linear and feels as if it is on autopilot during a lot of the more speedy sections, but it still manages to keep things fairly active and fast paced with precise jumps and mild trial and error that the game plays off of. Where having a good memory of where to use certain abilities or make certain types of movements rewards you with speed and allows you to maintain a good amount of rings for a better score overall.

However, this game could use a physics tweak or two to lighten up the characters and their movements. Jumps sometimes feel heavy and can be overshot with ease if you don't adapt to the physics well enough. Characters also get sudden bursts of speed which can be disorienting and awkward when trying to get through some platforming sections. Even if it is doable, I still believe Sega should at least make a few slight tweaks to the physics and take away some of the weight behind each character's movement at high speeds.

The level design keeps your physics and mind, but the platforms and hazards are placed in odd ways that can work against the player a bit too well. Which can lead to some frustrating platforming sections which will be satisfying to accomplish, but feel like a hassle initially. I guess Dr.Eggman really meant business this time! But try to keep in mind that there's no shame in restarting and having another go at a jump or obstacle you can't quite overcome yet. Practice makes perfect, and it's vital if you want to adapt to this game's physics and learn how to play around them. Your memory of the level's layout will be your greatest strength in the long run. Especially in stages with sudden, startling gimmicks such as the auto scrolling section in Iron Gauntlet or the swiftly moving platforms in Metropolitian Highway.

This game has 3 different styles of play that are all fun on their own, but have their fair share of minor issues as well.

Let's start off with the star of the show; Your Avatar. This character controls more akin to Modern Sonic, but with a few extra features to keep it fresh and interesting. Taking the old concept of weapons in Sonic games from Shadow The Hedgehog(A game that is really hit-or-miss in the community, but heavily flawed in community's collective opinion.), Sega gives us Wispons. Unique weapons that inherit different abilities and offensive or defensive attributes that give the game plenty of replay value as the Wisps did in 2010's Sonic Colors.

The weapons have their different uses, but you'll find yourself using more offensive wispons for bosses and levels that require lots of hard offense. Wispons like the Cube and Drill wispon revolve around hard offense and high damage output for quick sweeps of enemies in a level. Being fairly difficult to use as a result. While more easy weapons like Burst, Lightning, or Hover are more defensive and ranged. Usually put to work at the press, or holding of a key. They deal less damage to bosses, but they are easy to use and ideal for players who still need to get a grasp of the game's physics and control scheme. They also have various builds with various properties that can be unlocked through missions to make them more fitted to one's play style. Allowing one to use their favorite Wispon even if they feel that it isn't very helpful at first.

In terms of Mobility, the Avatar is primarily focused on 360 degree movement and has arguably the most 3D of the three playstyles with a lot of their levels being focused on a wisp gimmick for speedruns, a brief puzzle and/or platforming section, or a messy horde battle with ambushes by surrounding robots. While this is fine and dandy, this leaves the avatar feeling a bit unfinished. With one thing always hanging too far over the other with not much balance between the three. It leaves more to be desired. One will be left using their wispon too less, or too much depending on their level choice. There could have been a lot more done, and it's dissapointing to see that Sega didn't notice this during development.

Modern Sonic is next. And he's just as you remember him from Sonic Colors and Generations. His boost, air boost, stomp, slide, and homing attack make a return, but his drift is strangely absent. It wouldn't have been utilized very well with the game's more linear design, but it would have been a nice touch for more risky parts of the game that force you to take speed management into consideration. His stages are rather short and primarily focus on bursting your way through a stage as fast as possible. But he's only ever a true challenge during bonus stages and stage 22 where percise platforming is truly required.

A lot of his stages can be cleared within under 4 minutes, but they can be stretched on and replayed with various missions and time challenges that give unlockable cosmetics for the avatar character. He is mediocre at best, but those who enjoyed the boost formula have nothing to worry about in terms of how he controls. He's just as you remember him in Colors. Similarly to the avatar, Modern Sonic feels unfinished and leaves more to be desired. He seems to take two things into consideration and always leave one of the three out. Still entertaining, but he could definitely use some work. And I don't see this working out in future games with the overall fatigue it gives off from more frustrating areas such as stage 22.

Classic Sonic feels just as he did in Generations, but with improved physics. He has the most fun handful of levels in the game as he focuses on hard platforming and speedy percision with a mix of creativity. His levels are a lot less linear. Featuring multiple pathways and encouraging a bit of exploration while keeping a firm grasp on the speed aspect. He controls very well, but suffers from the minor weight issues of the other two characters. The Addition of the drop dash makes him feel more advanced and fast paced. Allowing you to regain lost momentum in a snap and keeping the flow going.

While he isn't as snappy and responsive as he was in Mania, everything is still as entertaining and tight as it needs to be. With skillfull, memory based platforming being key to success. The length of each stage may be intimidating at first, but once you understand the level layout, you'll find yourself going back to redo levels just to see how skillfully you can jump through them and blaze past your own times for better records.

Overall, I give this game a 6.5/10. It is a damn good time and has enough content to fill in for the $40 spent on it with over 11+ hours of gameplay to offer for completionists and speedrunners. But it's flaws hold it back from being great and among those of the best recent experiences of Sonic to date. It was slightly dissapointing. But not bad to a point of deserving ridicule and universal hate. Sega did a good job with the presentation and overall aesthetic of the game. And it's story is cheesy, but ♥♥♥♥ing amazing if you want to have some laughs on a couch with a few friends.
Posted November 13, 2017. Last edited October 7.