Recent reviews by [LDT] Hardcore Bob

< 1  2  3 >
As an avid FPS player, this game was quite a change of pace for me.
I barely even play singleplayer games these days as they fail to keep my attention.

This "game", however, succeeded. I'll probably not be the first one to tell you that the story is compelling. Which, combined with the soundtrack, are the two things that make this a great experience.

That's why I'll use the remainder of this review to point out my gripes with this game:
  1. Although graphics don't matter for story, I feel like this game succeeded in spite of its artstyle, not thanks to.
  2. The pacing was a little inconsistent throughout the game. One example of literal pacing is that characters sometimes walked at half the speed they did beforehand without good reason, for as far as I could tell.
  3. Neil Watt's character was way over the top for me, and made me cringe occasionally. The game would've been better for me if it didn't try to be funny at the same time.
It's hard to rate it as a game, because I would consider it to be a visual novel, not a game.
7.5/10 would recommend.
Posted November 27, 2017. Last edited November 27, 2017.
Sorry but it's just really poor.
The graphics, weapons, gameplay, everything.
It's a bit silly, and maybe fun for 30 minutes if you're into that.
Posted October 29, 2016.
Great, immersive, albeit short horror game.

Seeing as it's free, I'm glad the developers focused on quality rather than quantity.
It's a nice proof of concept; something they could take to kickstarter if they ever feel the ambition to work on a full length game.

I've always held on to the belief that a Horror game can not be (as) scary if you can kill the thing you're supposed to be afraid of. Although I still think this is true -and something the developers could take to heart-, the way you only have one or two shots as this monster is charging towards you is pretty suspenseful.

Would like to see more!
Posted July 3, 2016.
I went into this one with far too low expectations. I figured it was another one of those indie puzzle games.

Wrong. This is the best first person puzzler after Portal, both in story and gameplay.
The gameplay was fun and refreshing. It's challenging, though at the same time remarkably intuitive.
I found my own subconscious solve the majority of the puzzles without having to actively think about it.
The puzzles keep throwing refreshing new gameplay mechanics at you, it never gets stale, but it never gets confusing either!

Verdict:
Worth €10? Personally I'd say no. It's about 3 hours of gameplay, maybe more if you try the additional content.
I got it for €1 in a Humble Bundle, and I sure am glad I did!

8/10 - Surprisingly fun! But for 3 hours.
Posted June 12, 2016.
Review in one sentence
A very fun and challenging game, a one of its kind and a must-try.

Gaming Background
I'm a PC gamer who predominantly plays FPS games, but has played a bit of MOBA and RTS too. Before I picked up Dark Souls, the only games I had ever played with a controller date back to the 6th generation consoles. I decided to give Dark Souls a go seeing as I finally got myself a controller and my friends were insisting I did.

Index of this review
  • Difficulty is Fun
  • Lore & Level Design
  • A port of a console game
  • Unnecessarily secretive
  • Final words

Difficulty is Fun
Though this game is notorious for its difficulty, it's challenging in a fair way; there isn't any RNG that determines whether you live or die. This game is hard because it's skill based.

In a lot of RPGs, your character becomes stronger through leveling. Often this means you can both dish out and sustain orders of magnitude more damage than before. In Dark Souls, while you can definitely level your character to some extent, the real difference between you at level 1 and you at level 80, is raw skill.

That's what makes this game so uniquely fun. You overcome the opponents not because your stats say you do; you overcome them because you've died to them a couple times and you now understand what you've been doing wrong all this time. This is why the community uses the phrase "git gud" so often. Proof of this is that some players have been able to beat the game with a lvl 1 character, or without healing a single time.

The always-on autosave feature in this game means that mistakes are permanent. Although this sounds hardcore, it's important to understand that dying is an important part of the game, and you lose less on death than in most games. Your "souls", which is both the in-game currency and the unit of XP you can use to level up and upgrade weapons, are dropped on the spot where you died.

Lore & Level Design
Dark Souls is made by FROM software, a Korean game developer, and it shows. The lore is akin to Asian folklore rather than the Greek, Norse, or Biblical stuff I'm used too. This makes the lore unique and refreshing. Personally, the lore hasn't been able to rub off on me that much. It's hard to understand and hasn't really succeeded in giving me a sense of purpose, or part of something huge.

That said, there's something uniquely captivating about Dark Souls. Its level design deserves an honorable mention, because it has somehow succeeded making 90% of the game contingent on each other. This means you can walk from the starting area to the rest of the world without loading screens or cutscenes. But it doesn't stop there; they have managed to meticulously interconnected their world in a brilliant way. Time and time again I have found myself bewildered, exclaiming: "This elevator leads back here!? Holy crap!"

In another stroke of genius, they decided to leave music out of the game almost entirely. They mean to make the atmosphere feel solitary and desolate, which they've done a pretty decent job at. On top of all this, it looks pretty decent for a 2011 game.

A port of a console game
In this part I'll be talking about some technical downsides that I feel stem mostly from the fact that this game is a PC Port from a 2011 console game. By default the framerate is capped at 30fps. Popular community mod DSfix allow you to bump this up to 60, but at certain costs. This is the type of game engine where the graphical framerate is linked to the game's calculations. This means that the game will behave slightly differently at 60fps, yuck.

The online connectivity is can be finnicky and might require community mods to work to your liking as well.

Bottom line: it's not the most stable or reliably built game in the world.

Unnecessarily secretive
My biggest gripe with this game is how it doesn't bother explaining new players a lot of its complicated mechanics. Don't get me wrong! The fact that this came doesn't spam you with popups saying "Press R2 to parry!" is mostly a good thing. The game's minimalistic HUD and GUI contribute to its unique atmosphere, but this is a double-edged blade.

It takes most players a good while to figure out what Humanity is, how it works, what the number in your top bar means and what it means to be hollowed. To tell you the truth I still only understand how it works, but not why it works. I could go on and on listing bits of information or entire game mechanics that remain poorly-, mis-, or even unexplained throughout the game.

This would all be fine in 1999, where the kid next door would tell you how to unlock a cool sword. But alas, we're in the era where extensive libraries of this type of information is at your fingertips. Sadly, at times this game almost beckons you to whip out the wiki, because some decisions are permanent and you might not want to make any mistakes or miss anything important.

In my opinion, the absolute best way to play this game is by having an enthousiastic friend you can approach for specific questions, but will not tell you all of the ins and outs of the game.

Summary and Final Words
- Very enjoyable and rewarding gameplay
- Looks decent, with great character & level design
- Unique and myserious, sometimes to a fault

No matter what kind of player you are, you would be doing yourself a disservice by not at least trying this game.

If you have any comments, questions, or critiques, feel free to add me on Steam. I'll even help you with the game if you want.
Posted June 4, 2016. Last edited May 3.
More addicting than it is fun.
And by that I don't mean it isn't fun. Not at all, I really enjoy this game.
I just think I would use this game if I ever needed to quit smoking or heroin.
Time speeds up at an alarming rate when I'm playing this.

GET THIS GAME IF:
- You like games that aren't difficult, but challenging nonetheless
- You can really lose yourself in games like Tekkit, Terraria or even Rollercoaster Tycoon

DON'T GET THIS GAME IF:
- You have a life that you value

EDIT: Nominated for the "Just 5 More Minutes" award.
Posted March 4, 2016. Last edited November 24, 2016.
Fun but standard

Positive:
- Exciting weapons
- Fun ways to kill people
- A good dash of humor

Negative:
- Extremely linear; no decisions, no crossroads, just stomping through enemies for 5 hours.
- Repetitive; despite the interesting killing mechanics, it gets old pretty quickly.
- Limited; it's literally just that, clearing enemies for 5 hours and it's over.
- Friendly NPCs do not kill a single enemy in the entire campaign.
- Quite obviously made for console, doesn't even care to hide it

Verdict:
I enjoyed it, so I'm giving it a Good review.
Posted June 22, 2015.
Outstanding

As far as survival games go, especially Permadeath ones, this is the best one by far.

The difficulty remains constant throughout the game. It doesn't suffer the same fate as Roguelike games do where your path is forged by chance rather than decisions. This isn't to say Don't Starve is any less or more difficult than those games, but what makes this game so intriguing is as follows: You can die at pretty much any point, but if you do, it's always your fault and you could've prevented it.

I was a bit hesitant about the Art style at first, but it quickly grew on me. Everything from the game's visual style to its sounds, music, and character responses is approaching perfection in its own way.

I could not name an aspect of the game I would regard as unncessary, overpowered, underpowered, annoying or poorly designed. I find it extremely well-rounded and I've had tons of fun with it.

Posted June 17, 2015.
THIS APPLIES TO ALL BORDERLANDS GAMES

A damn shame.
First of all, it's painfully obvious this game is ported from a console version.
Most if not all of the GUI is based on keyboard input. On a console, pressing "A" to accept a quest makes sense. Having to routinely press "Enter" on PC does not. This is unfortunately prevalent in the entire game, which makes for a less pleasant interaction.

Naturally, that alone doesn't ruin a game. My biggest problem with Borderlands is that your character's performance is largely if not completely based on random and erratic item drops. Your character's firepower and durability increase rapidly throughout the game. As a result, you might find the gun you have found to be completely insane and overpowered two hours ago to be worth next to nothing. The importance of decision-making is practically nonexistant; it seems to be based entirely on random chance. There isn't a notable learning curve and aiming doesn't seem to play a big part; once you reach a certain level it doesn't really matter anymore.

Moving on, it seems like all the games in this franchise haven't got much to offer beyond shooting the same type of enemies over and over, while the enemies and your weapons keep steadily getting stronger. In the end it all comes down to simply shooting, moving, and running in the same scenario except slightly different every time.

TL;DR
  • Bad console port
  • Completely luck based
  • No skill, no decision making
  • Awfully repetitive
Posted October 19, 2014. Last edited October 19, 2014.
A contender for the most uninspired garbage I've ever seen.
Don't waste your time.
Posted September 17, 2014.
< 1  2  3 >