Recent reviews by EpicGeekcast

A review from a dad on a budget check out my podcast Steam on the Cheap where I review Cheap games on steam and let you know if they are worth your time. https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/steam-on-cheap-discovering/id899847567?mt=2

Check out my gameplay video and keep reading below for more.

It is very rare to find a cheap first person shooter on steam so when I saw the $8 price tag on this one I had to try it out.

First off a warning. Even though this game just released on steam (Dec 2014) It was originally released in 2005 so it is a decade old game. I did not realize it at first so good on them to trick me like that. The graphics hold up well and if I were judging this in 2005 I would say it has pretty good graphics.

The gameplay resembles any modern day shooter ie the handling and control layout are almost identical show the lack of innovation over the years. I did not have to look up any keys, they all came naturally except to aim down the sights which is the middle mouse button and can not be remapped.

There are parts of this game that I am really enjoying. The first part deals with the name of the game, Bet on Soldier. At the beginning of a level you can pick a few named bad guys and wager cash on whether or not you will kill them in a 1 on 1 match. Stronger baddies award more money of course. The plays out like an early nemesis system in Middle Earth. When you come across a named guy it zooms in , there is some chatter between the two of you and then you fight. None of your followers or other bad guys on the map at the time can join it so its mano y mano. You win you get the cash, you lose you start from your last save point. There is a time limit on the match and if you run out of time you lose. This separated the game from other shooters and is a big reason that I am going to recommend this game.

The second part I am enjoying is the story. It is very indepth and pretty good too. Some of the old style cut scenes are painfully long due to slow moving people but it does not take away from the story you are being told. The creators did a good job with it.

Lastly this game is hard on the higher difficulty settings. On easy you will probably die a few times but mostly you can run and gun. On hard you really need to put thought into your loadout, companions and in game strategy or you will be respawning often

If you are looking for a cheap FPS to occupy your time I would definitely suggest this one. THe levels are long and really challenging on higher difficulties. Even though I have yet to beat it I have put 3 hours into it and think it is a game that will last well over 8 hours putting it at that dollar an hour range I like for budget games.

If you found my review helpful let me know by clicking yes at the bottom. Until next time cheers
Posted December 7, 2014.

Check out my gameplay video and keep reading below for more.

Instant Dungeon is an exploration maze game and for 2 bucks I had to try it out. I am glad I did because it is super fun. The game takes the new mechanics of procedural generation and mixes it with old 8 bit themes and gameplay. What results is a solid game with the right amount of addictiveness that will keep you entertained for hours.

You play as any number of the randomly generated heroes and your goal is to make it through the maze like levels and progress deeper and deeper into the dungeon. It is a roguelike with no carry over so after each death its a clean slate. As you delve deeper into the game it becomes much harder with larger levels and more and more baddies in each level. There are items, both offensive and defensive, that you can pick up to help you on your way. From axes, throwing knives and magic spells to shields helmets and torches to see better.

If this was all the game had it would be worth the money and then some but the creators decided to throw in even more awesomeness. There are several different game modes. There is a questing game mode where you have to kill x amount of a certain bad guy, there is a saviour mode where you have to save another hero from the boss and escape without dying plus quite a few more mode that I have not unlocked yet but fully intend on doing.

All in all this game is a $2 gem that everyone should play. Unfortunately I feel like it was overshadowed because it release the same time as this Thanksgiving steam sale.

Posted November 28, 2014.
Review from a dad on a budget. Check out my podcast Steam on the Cheap where I review cheap games and let you know if they are worth your money.

Can't get enough of this game. My only problem is that it is not out yet. Check out some vidoes I did on each class. Thanks guys :)

Monster/Goliath

Assault

Medic

Trapper

Support
Posted November 3, 2014.

Squishy the Suicidal Pig is a platformer puzzler that despite its simple graphics is super hard
Here is a quick video review and keep reading for more details.

You play a pig in a yellow sweater whose parents went to the slaughter house. Wanting to join them in pig heaven you commit suicide only to find out that it is a one way ticket to hell. Once in hell you make a deal with the devil and now have to die 31 times to get to heaven.

The games concept is really cool. To beat a level you need to kill yourself not survive. Solve the puzzle correctly and you die.

There is a big difference between a hard puzzler and this game. Even is the hardest of puzzlers you can use common sense, deduction and trial and error to finally solve the puzzle.

Squishy the Suicidal Pig says screw that and gives you a game where none of that applies.
Some levels are straightforward and easy. Everything in the level has a purpose and needs to be utilized to beat the level. Then there are other levels that have TNT or giant fans and switched that do absolutely nothing to advance the puzzle and are there just to distract and frustrate. I kid you know after 10 minutes trying to beat a level using every available toy I finally figured it out and that level now takes 5 seconds to beat and I use nothing.

This is a super frustrating game but is addictive and makes you think way way outside of the box. I am enjoying it immensely. I will update this review if anything changes.

Don’t forget to click yes if this review was helpful :)
Posted October 24, 2014.

Fist of Jesus is a fun and simi deep side scrolling brawler in the vein of the old NInja Turtles or Double Dragon games. Here is my first impression video review and read on for a more in depth review.

Jesus brought Lazarus back from the dead and unwittingly started a zombie pandemic that spans the ages. You get to play as either Jesus or Judas and eradicate the zombies before the world is lost.

So far this game is a lot of fun and has a delightful amount of gore in it. Things I like so far include
Mortal Kombat like fatalities on zombies.
A nice array of special abilities.
The ability to gain levels and upgrade powers through rpg elements.
The art is fun and fresh.
Dialog is funny and may make you lol.
The controls handle well.
Decent variety of baddies.

Things I don’t like so far include.
Button layout for the keyboard is odd. Luckily you can bind whatever buttons you want to fix it.
360 Controller not working properly. It tries to work but very wonky.
They don’t tell you what buttons activate abilities in game you have to exit and go to the key binding menu.

More on gameplay
You can tag team between Jesus and Judas on every level. Think of Capcom vs X-Men and such. Each guy has different special abilities and different traits that make them desirable. When you kill zombies they drop coins that you can later use to either upgrade your powers or to resurrect mid level if you happen to die. There are plenty of weapons that you can find mid level such as a sword fish, super fish, chain, stave and more. This really does feel like an 80’s early 90’s game done right with better graphics. This game does have the angry bird approach when it comes to progression. You can get up to 3 stars on each level depending on your performance and at certain points you need a minimum amount of start to continue. That being said you may need to go back and 3 star a few levels to move on. Don’t forget your upgrades as you go.

This game is definitely worth a play it is fun and seems to be a good time sink. What I need to find out now is if it is a good cheap game for those of us on a budget. I will update this post when I see how many hours of gameplay I get through and let you know. you can also listen to the podcast for a more indepth review after hours of gameplay.
Posted October 17, 2014.

Gods vs Humans is a quirky tower defence style game that does not reinvent the genre but does add a neat twist.
Here is my video review and keep reading for a more indepth review here.

First off this game has a lot of depth for a $7 dollar game. The idea is simple. You are one of 20 different gods trying to stop the humans from building a tower to destroy you. Through the levels you will play as Egyptian, Greek, Nordic, and Japanese gods each with unique settings, tower and powers. (Nice rhyme i know)

Each god has their specific set of powers as well as commons ones shared. You will use your powers to destroy pillars to bring down a section of the temple until the whole temple collapses. If the humans reach you then boom your dead and they are now gods. By the way you don’t want that to happen.

The difficulty ramps up because following old mythology you get you power from the worship of humans so if you harm them while destroying the tower they become angry with you and severely limits your power. Also there are evil priests that try to convert the humans and supervisors you have to keep happy or else the workers will repair the pillars faster than you can destroy them. There are also protectors on some floors that will counteract certain spells meaning you can use fire on a level or maybe lighting on a different one.

So far I am finding this game to be very challenging and one that I can't stop playing because I want to see what they are going to throw at me next.

As of now I am recommending this game even more so because it is half off so it is definitely worth it.

I will update this review if I find anything that changes my mind or find things that are cool and you should not about. Don’t forget to click yes if you found this review helpful Thanks :)

Update 5 hours in and still enjoying this game. It does get pretty hard so prepare to get frustrated here and there :)
Posted October 10, 2014. Last edited October 12, 2014.
A review from a Dad on a budget and his podcast Steam on the Cheap.

A.R.E.S. Extinction Agenda EX is a 2.5D side scrolling game that feels like a fun mix between a dual stick shooter and Metroid. So far I am really enjoying this game. So far playing it on medium it has had its share of difficulty combined with enjoyable boss battles.
Here is a video of early game play.

The game really is in the vein of metroid in the whole being in a mechanical suit looking for upgrades thing. Also where the upgrades will unlock new areas that were previously unexplorable. Oddly enough I have recieved a few upgrades and have yet to seen an effect on my person.

This is not just a run and gun type game either. There are several parts that include tough timing jumps and multiple button pushes. If not you will fall to your death often like myself. I don't know if I like the dieing over and over when the main part of the game is a 2.5D gunner. So far I recommend this game but in a way it is still up in there air and will report back as I get in deeper to the game.

Pros
The controls feel responsive and right.
The artwork is great.
I don’t have to play with the music turned off.
The story so far is actually engaging.
Character ability upgrades keep things fresh.
Checkpoints are nice kinda forgot about them with all the roguelikes out.

Cons
Things you kill come back once they are off screen kinda annoying.
Though as nails when it come to timing jumps and not always in a good way.
Tons of upgrades but some seem to do nothing.
Hope I dont have to do a second playthough just to collect the power ups but seems that way.

Quick edit here. There is a talent tree in game where you can upgrade all your moves and weapons armor ect. This is not covered in the tutorial and I found out about it by accedent. This added a lot of depth to the game. This is a great deal at $10 buck and I recommened it highly. You will get more than 10 hours of game play out of it for sure.

For a full indepth review please check out my podcast where I try out cheap games and let you know if they are worth your money or not.
Posted October 3, 2014. Last edited October 4, 2014.
Another review from a dad on a budget.
Remember you can catch my podcast Steam on the Cheap for reviews on great budget games.

Fun, Awesome, Neat, Insane, Creative. That might be all I need to say but I’ll do a bit better.
Here is a gameplay video with commentary along with a written review.

So magicka was the first game I played that involved combining magics to created new and better spells. This game has the same concept to the Nth degree. I have played a bit and am still finding new spells and combinations of spells to use. Aside from the spell mechanic it is a platformer that gets increasingly hard as the game progresses. Some levels turn into bullet hells with so much going on that my computer lags a bit.

This game also offers a lot of customization. You can change the way that your wizard looks and the graphics and animations of your spells and wand. The customization alone will add value to your dollar.

From what I have played so far I would definitely recommend this to a gamer on a budget. It is a $10 dollar game and i would expect more than 10 hours of enjoyment out of it. But don’t take my word for it try it out for yourself.
Posted September 27, 2014.
Miss playing Sonic the Hedgehog?
Love dieing over and over… and over again?

This might be the game for you. Reviewed from the perspective of a dad on a budget here is my gameplay review and continue reading for more.

I am 3+ hours deep in this game and it has caused a wide range of emotions. Excitement contentment joy and rage, frustrations and helplessness. If I had given up after an hour of play I would have not recommended this game. Luckily I pressed on and have grown to really enjoy this game. It has it flaws. The controls are a bit janky and take some time to get used to. The tutorial does not really help and upgrades are really important for progression. Once you get a hang of it this is a super fun game. It is fast paced and provides a lot of variation between the levels so it constantly feels fresh.

You will die hundreds of times before you beat it, I’m pretty sure I died 40ish times on the first boss but when you beat a level it is so rewarding.

For me a Steam on the Cheap game has to have a ratio of $1 per hour of gameplay or better. I am 3 hours in and have plenty of game left so this is a great budget game that will keep you coming back for more.

Posted September 19, 2014.
Do you love Plants VS Zombies?
Do you love Rogue Legacy?
Have you ever wondered what would happen if they were mashed together?
Bam here is a video of it.
This really is a fun game and at $5 bucks more than worth it.

I review all games through the eyes of a Dad on a budget. I feel like a game needs to have at least $1 per hour of fun and this game accomplishes that.

This game introduces permadeath, gold/upgrade carry over, and procedurally generated everything into the Plants VS Zombie gameplay.

There is no story to speak of, Van Helsing say hey go kill Dracula. That is the story. But we don’t need no stinking story. This game will keep you entertained for many many hours and is well worth the money go buy it and enjoy it as I have been.

If you want to know what other cheap games are worth the money check out my Podcast Steam on the Cheap where I review Cheap Steam games and let you know which ones are worth your time and hard earned money.
Posted September 6, 2014. Last edited October 3, 2014.