0.0 hrs last two weeks / 25.3 hrs on record (12.3 hrs at review time)
Posted: Dec 22, 2019 @ 12:00am
Updated: Dec 22, 2019 @ 12:09am

One thing i would like to note at the beggining is that i got this game for roughly 5 $ from Humble Choise so for that price this would be a great purchase BUT it's retail price is 60$ so i will judge it for that price.
And for 60$ it's terrible. Full of bugs, minor inconveniences , mind boggling design choises etc etc. I had to roll back to gpu driver from 2018 to be able to play this game in DX12.

This time around there is less focus on combat and more on exploration which would be nice if exploration wouldnt be so boring and uninspired. You have these seemingly open areas but you can find two identical ledges and Lara would jump on to one without any problems and just refuse to grab on another one because it's not programmed to be used and that's main problem with this game , it's linear in the worst way. Not because you follow a story or a straight path but because there is only just one way to get somewhere . Sometimes Lara will fall from 20 meters and be all right because you fell down in the right pleace and other times she will slip and fall onto the ledge 2 meters below and die because that wasnt programmed for her to land and it breaks immersion so much. This game is terrible at making you feel like you are on the adventure.. you feel like you are in the theme park sitting in a cart and going through it.

As is mandatory in modern AAA game it has crafting and collectibles. These two , again , are made in ridiculous ways. Crafting is basically useless because it's mostly for weapons and armor and with little to no combat there's basically no need for them so you can beat whole game with starter bow on hardest combat difficulty . I havent used my upgraded rifles or pistols in 12 hours so far so total waste of time and with abundancy of materials you just upgrade everything without really having to think and choose there to invest your resources.

Collectibles again are lazy and just mostly drop'd onto your usual path. They also make no sense in game world as well because you find 10 priceless treasures every 100 meters, sometimes in people's homes so you just bardge in , take their golden statue and leave without them even caring you did that.

Also everyone in Peru speaks perfect English, even natives living in secluded villages.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider just tries to tick all boxes for triple A game in 2019 and fails at every step. For 5 $ ? Yes , get it but for anything more than that it's a waste of money and time.

Besides interesting and well made locals this game has nothing over it's predecessors and is easily worst of the Tomb Raider games to date.
Nihilus Jan 8, 2020 @ 7:21am
I agree that this isn't a good Tomb Raider game. But good action game.
Is there really more focus on exploration here? They just added a few more challenge tombs and that's it. Too bad. Still too many shooting and action and too few puzzles. The 1st time I found a possible puzzle, the game switched to a cutscene and solved it himself. Too bad.
I want the old TR games back.
Yung Caesar Jan 6, 2020 @ 12:15pm
youre not supposed to play most games in DX12, afaik if you get the choice between DX11 and DX12 you go with DX11 all the time because it of course will have half as many bugs. I dont think you can even really blame the developers, since this is the case with not only the implementation of DX12 from within the game, but your graphics card manufacter's implementation mostly, therefore being dependent on how old your GPU is.
Wild Philosopher Jan 4, 2020 @ 8:47pm
For $5 you can't even pay for the textures they design and produce let alone the other stuff.

I can also confirm I can play with latest Nvidia drivers without problem. There can of course be more combats.
Centralia1990 Jan 2, 2020 @ 12:29am
@HK-47: I agree with you.
HK-47 Dec 29, 2019 @ 3:32pm
1. Tomb Raider was never a shooter. If you want that, play CS:GO.
2. Falling down and dying? Would you prefer if you survived the fall, but had no way to get back up and had to restart from a checkpoint? Most open world games just use fences or invisible walls to prevent you from going the wrong way. Tomb Raider doesn't, it just kills you in gruesome ways.
3. Driver issues? I am playing it on NVIDIA RTX 2080 Ti and any driver I used from 430.86, over 432.00 which Win10 installs as default, to the latest 441.66 -- all of them work with everything maxed out.
4. English? Did you miss the AUDIO AND LANGUAGES -> VOICE-OVER IMMERSION option?

I bet you just blazed straight through the game main story without even looking for most of the challenges or secrets -- by the achievement stats it seems a lot of people do that which is just sad because the game has a lot of high-quality content.
OneDruid Dec 27, 2019 @ 7:40am
So true. Same here. I had like 4 or 5 enemy encounters but most of my weapons are fully upgraded. doesn't make any sense. now on my next encounters the game wants me to be stealthy but it is no problem to spray everyone. Like, make up your mind what you want to do, an exploration game or a shooter. so many resources could be used for exploration that were used to create the hole shooting mechanic and guns, because in this game the whole combat mechanic is useless.