0.0 hrs last two weeks / 11.5 hrs on record (11.0 hrs at review time)
Posted: Apr 1, 2018 @ 2:35am

I bet this is not going to be a popular review.

First of all i would like to say one thing - Steam's review system is absolutely unfit to write reviws for games like Satellite Reign in how primitive this black and white option is. Anyway.

I tried to get into this game three times now. Before purchasing it it looked like a perfect game for me. I love oldschool crpg and similar kind of games. It's sci-fi, it looks great , it has amazing premise .. what's not to like? I must admit i'm bit too young to have played original Syndicate game ( released 1993 , i got my first pc at age of 9 i think back in 1999 ) but this spiritual successor looked right up my alley. Long story short... it wasnt .. well mostly.

After a brief tutorial which teaches you absolutely nothing about game except for few very very basic things you are thrown inside game having 0 clue of what are you supposed to be doing and besides few very basic first mission difficulty just ramps up by factor of 10 once you complete them. I like hard games, Soulsborne games are one of my favorite games and i like hard puzzle games as well ( on the other side of hard spectrum ) but they dont feel unfair , this one on the other hand just drowns you right away with ridiculous amounts of systems and things you need to know without explaining anything. It's bad , really bad design choise. I understand this game is supposed to be oldschool but old doesnt mean good , you can make oldschool game and still make it understandable and accessible like Divinity Original Sin or Shadowrun games.

In conclusion do i think Satellite Reign is a good game? Yeah , it sort of is but i really cant recommend it to anyone besides true fans of original Syndicate who will have will and time to learn this game and power through it's ludicrous difficulty cuves.
Lone Apr 30, 2018 @ 9:59pm
i do believe in the "One Glove doesn't fit all".

The RTS Genre used to be HARD.

it took me quite awhile to get used to Satellite Reign... but i still struggle with the C-RTS Gameplay.

but... compared to stuff like "Men of War", this is way easier.
so after a few hours in THAT, i came back and noticed that... people are just spoiled now.

Gaming was and still is being Simplified... we unlearned things from the Golden Age.
what seems difficult now, was just "Medium Mode" back then.

the struggle you feel? that was a Natural Part of Gaming back then...
Jackerino Apr 30, 2018 @ 5:44pm
I don't understand how people say it's overwhelming. It's extremely straight forward. The closer the mission is to the start, the easier it'll be. That's just simple game design. There's honestly not that much depth to it at all and it genuinely is fairly streamlined. Infact the game comes off as way too simple to me, and I came in blind.
PeteSahat Apr 30, 2018 @ 9:12am
Funny, you said your review will get unpopular ... and it did :D So much for all the people complaining.

And I agree 100% with you review itself. After the tutorial you get quests thrown at you and don't get any clue about the required skill level. The awful camera movement doesn't improve things either. I really like the graphics and ambience, and I really tried to like this game, but for the same reasons I don't.
Simon Bar Sinister Apr 29, 2018 @ 6:14am
So you gave it a bad review because the game was too hard for you and takes time to learn how to play?
Jackerino Apr 25, 2018 @ 5:14pm
yeah, it's come off as very simple
76 Apr 25, 2018 @ 4:17pm
It's not a spiritual successor to Syndicate or Syndicate Wars in any way... doesn't play, look or feel like S/SW at all, 5LS made a basic game and ran with the cash.
Jackerino Apr 24, 2018 @ 1:34pm
... So uh, when does it get overwhelming?
Jackerino Apr 24, 2018 @ 12:52pm
Will update once I get to where I need to be.
Jackerino Apr 24, 2018 @ 12:52pm
This review motivated me to play it for the first time. I've never played Syndicate. Let's see if the learning curve seriously is severe.
totally not Marshall Apr 21, 2018 @ 2:52pm
really the only problem with this review imo is the whole
"I bet this is not going to be a popular review."
really doesnt help your point here~