Recent reviews by Csontzuzo

< 1  2  3 ... 18 >
Drake Hollows is a very cute game and a mix of various genres. As the protagonist we got teleported to another world where we need to care about the cute Drakes. It is a building sim as it is required to create some buildings for them. The game is also a resource management game as we need to feed and entertain them. Additionally, it is required to explore the world for resources, fight enemies and defend the camp from raids so Drake Hollows

I LOVE...

...the character creation. You can be female/male and you can choose any possible color for skin, eyes, hair.
...the Drakes. They are sooo cute and they interact with every single building in some weird, cute way. They are just awesome.
...the challenging gameplay. Fighting multiple enemies during an ambush is very challenging, but if the game is not scaling up enemies when multiple players on the map then the coop could be a bit boring.
...the graphic. The game looks very nice (well, unless you like only realistic graphic game instead of the cartoony one)
...the music. The decent soundtracks have a good chemistry together with the graphic and other parts of the game so it is easy to get pulled in and forget about the time.
...that the game is available in both single player and co-op.
...that you can find many-many outfits for your character. Fortunately, this game isn’t from koei tecmo or a similar company so these are included in the game instead selling each of it as dlc on a paid game.

I HATED...

...the nonexistent voice acting. 30€ game and no voice acting/narration? I know, there aren’t many speaking NPCs, but there should be one for the crow, cat etc. Come on!
...that i got stuck on rocks many times.
...that some quality of life features are missing. Like filtering items based on their type when moving items from inventory to the stahs or when selling items. The other one was that there is only 1! Button for all utility items. It is very annoying to go through 8 or more items when I need the healing item during combat.
...that some hints weren't exactly clear. I had some difficulties figuring out how to connect electricity to other buildings, how to repair buildings, etc.
...that I can’t repair my weapon once it loses its durability.
...the limited amount of enemy types. There are exactly 4, and 1 boss. You can find all of them already in the first 1-2 hours, 10-12 hours later, already at the end of 2nd chapter, still no new enemy type.
...that the game starts to be repetitive after 12-14 hours. In the second chapter, the same buildings, environment, just the season are different and there are still no new enemies.

If you want to see some gameplay and get an overview about the ingame contents...

Conclusion

I liked this game and I will continue to play it until finished. Is it worth 30$-€? Well, if you have XBOX game pass, then play it there. This game is included in that one.

Gameplay mechanics: 7/10 Combat is ok and because of the mixing multiple genres into one game there are many things to do and all of those implement properly, without bugs or problems.
Replay value: 6/10 As I know there is an upcoming sandbox mode with randomized map so this will offer some replay value.
Atmosphere: 7/10 It is a bit ruined by the too many integrated genres. I would explore an island and constantly called back to defend the camp from raids or by having too low amount of food/water in camp.
Visuals: 9/10 Nice looking game.
Music/Sound effects: 9/10. Quite nice soundtracks and environmental sound effects.
Game difficulty: 6/10 Single player feels sometimes a bit too hard. If the game does not scale difficulty based on the number of players then multiplayer with 3-4 would be boring.

Hey, I am an achievement hunter!
Perfection time: ~25-35h. There are 2 MP achievements and for one you need 3 other players. That is not the challenging part tho. While 1 walkthrough is enough, getting all notes is very hard. Not just because the whole world of the campaign randomly generated, note locations are randoms, but it is hard because these notes bugged sometimes. Map shows for some island that you can find there 1 collectible, while i found there 2, some shows 3 but only 2 there so not just hard to find all, but can't even believe to the map. The other achievements are easy during a regular, nonspeedrun playthrough. I also made a guide to help to get them all easily:

If you liked the review or you like to earn achievements, but in enjoyable, fun and entertaining games, then please follow my Average Achievement Hunter curator or just check out our curated games. Thanks
Posted October 1. Last edited October 6.
I have mixed feelings about Art of Rally. I have difficulties to drive the cars in this game, so bit disappointed by my very bad virtual car driving skill, still I had fun with this cute game.

I LOVE...

...the artistic graphic. It is just awesome and somehow fills me up with nostalgic feelings. The whole game is colorful and charming, the cars look cute and many unlockable skins are available for them.
...the music. Additional extra, that not just a few soundtrack available, there is a great variety and additional music tracks could be unlocked in the game.
...the daily and weekly challenges so there is always something new in the game.
...the atmosphere. It is actually quite nice to drive in this environment. The difficulty settings still let you unlock each car and skins easily during career mode, even with the bad car controls I mention in the next part.

I HATED...

...the car control with keyboard. I know that I am not the best in these kinds of games. The game became slightly easier once changed to controller. I am a k+m player, and was always, so bit inexperienced with controllers. I believe the game significantly easier to any player who use controller a lot.
...the car control again. It feels like the car gets oversteered really fast. Push the left/right (A/D) buttons if you want to turn the wheels and the car starts to drift instantly and need to compensate again with the other direction. This happens already at a low driving speed. Taking a curve is already challenging even if you are driving at a very low speed. This happens to me a lot with controller too, but it is very likely that just because of my driving skill of virtual cars. As some commenters stated out it is normal for rally cars and need some practice, so this part is for those who like me and not playing many driving games: expect some (or lot) practice time:-)
... the crashes. Slide to a wall or fence with the side of your car. No matter how you do that, it ALWAYS turns your car that way that you will face the object. WTF?
...the double penalty. As I said already, it's hard to keep the car on the road. Now if you leave the road more than a few meters then you respawn on the road and you get a time penalty. Left a bit and trying to manoeuvre back to the road? Don't waste the time, just manually respawn to the road by hitting F1, if you try to drive back to the road you will still likely trigger the autorespawn. If it is not enough during the ~2sec loading screen time is still running and you get an additional 5sec penalty. Most of the time it would require less time to get back to the road. The game is not letting you do that.

If you curious about gameplay here is a short content overview and 2 stages completion, so 5-6 mins gameplay:

Conclusion

Nice little game for some fun, however I am not 100% sure I would pay 20€ for this game. Feels a bit overpriced, mainly because of my game preferences as i prefer to buy other kind of games first. If you like driving games and also an unusual cute art, then this should be a must buy to you:-)

Gameplay mechanics: 6/10 After 300k km in IRL I needed to realize in this game that I can’t drive. At least not virtual cars. Experienced drivers however stated out the driving mechanics is good, i kept the lower score on this only because of the weird crashing behaviour and because of the fact that the autorespawn to the road happens too early, while you still very-very close to the road.
Replay value: 8/10 Bored and want some fast rally time? 2-5 mins each stage, so always nice to start up the game for some short (or long) play.
Atmosphere: 9/10 Nice, artistic visual, decent soundtracks. If my car would stay on the track then it could be even 10/10:-)
Visuals: 9/10 Nice looking game.
Music/Sound effects: 9/10. Decent soundtracks and a great variety of them. Also additional unlockable soundtracks by collecting items during free roam.
Game difficulty: 6/10 I can drive faster IRL without any problem than in this game, but this based on my own skill, which is pretty bad on driving games:-)

Hey, I am an achievement hunter!
Perfection time: ~50-60h. Completing the career mode and getting all collectibles takes about 20hours. Now the annoying part is to play 1000 stages. How pointless and grindy achievement is that right? Now this is a good example of what is a hated achievement by those who like to perfect the game they like. Additionally driving 555km with the same car is grindy too. Only one difficulty related achievement, but right now, at the time of writing this review unlocks even if you not wins the rally on the required difficulty. This one probably will be fixed.

Posted September 23. Last edited September 24.
I was a few turns away to win the game, then a rodent event happened and lost a huge amount of resources to it. The result? The wave catched me and my tribe was flooded. The fail was expected. The fun brought by this game was unexpected.

As Far As the Eye is a very challenging resource management 4X strategy game and the developers spiced it up. They moved the whole game into the field of roguelike games. Not a common combination for turn based strategy games.

If you curious what contents the game offers and how it is look then check out my short video about this game:

You will always be short on resources, you will feel that your workers eat too much food while they produce too few resources. In the meantime the wave is coming… It is hard to master the game and easy to fail in it. Understanding the mechanics, react to the deadly events all required if you want to finish a run at least once.

Don’t be mad if you can’t do it tho. Custom Game is available so you can adjust the game to the way you want to play it.

Conclusion

I enjoyed my time with this game.

Story: 7/10 Water is coming, it could be the story of our world while the ice caps are melting. Kevin Costner would disagree.
Replay value: 8/10 Roguelike game so replay value is huge, but the game could be uninteresting after you win it a few times.
Atmosphere: 8/10
Visuals: 9/10 I believe the visual of the game is very good. Very artistic.
Music/Sound effects: 9/10. Relaxing and charming soundtracks offered by this game.
Game difficulty: 8/10 While there are custom game achievements not available on that mode and the regular gameplay is very challenging. Finishing a run is far from easy.

Hey, I am an achievement hunter!
Perfection time: Now this part will be updated at a later point when the game will be listed on my curator. Achievements awarded for unlocking new traits, what then could be on your worker. How to unlock those? Probably awarded for your actions you done during your gameplay and unlocks ONLY once the game was won. Because of this, it will be always hard to predict what unlocked a new trait, therefore 100% achievement will be quite hard and time consuming.

Posted September 10. Last edited September 10.
If you liked the review and interested in completion and perfection time of games with additional useful information (for example: how difficult to get all achievements, is MP or DLC required and so on) or interested in reviews like this, then please follow my Average Achievement Hunter curator.

Endzone is a survival city building game. If you want to compare it to other games, then I would say this is like Banished but in a sci-fi, post apocalyptic environment.

If you played any survival city building game then you probably already know how it works. You need to assign your citizens to various professions so they will collect materials, craft consumable items etc, while you need to keep your city balanced and also fulfill the needs of your settlers. This is not always easy. You need to face radiation, droughts and riots if you fail to make your citizens happy. Making them too happy could lead to overpopulation and the increased needs also could destroy your village.

The fact that you can send expeditions to explore old world ruins, figure out hidden secrets or just find extra resources there, gives an excellent flavour to Endzone as you need to guide your expeditions through these ruins by yourself.

Not familiar with these kinds of games? Don’t be afraid! Endzone has a decent tutorial and it will teach you everything.

The developers update the game every month with more and more new contents. The final version is still far away, but more diversity, gameplay mechanics, buildings and scenarios will arrive and Endzone is already better than many other competitors.

Conclusion

The game is worth checking out if you like the genre. If you are not short on money then you could help reforestation by purchasing the “save the world” edition.

Story: 7/10 Apart from the background story the game doesn't have much lore. This is not the main aspect of city building games.
Replay value: 9/10 Change difficulty settings on various scenarios, survival mode, so yeah, this game is highly replayable. If you don’t challenge yourself with appropriate difficulty settings then Endzone could get boring pretty fast.
Atmosphere: 9/10 A nice city builder game, still under development but it is on the right path.
Visuals: 7/10 Could be better, but not bad. Buildings could use a bit more creativity.
Music/Sound effects: 7/10 It is fine.
Game difficulty: 1-10/10 Up to you, highly editable difficulty settings so everything is possible from build mode to undoable challenges,.

Hey, I am an achievement hunter!
Perfection time: ~25-35 hours. No difficulty locked achievements so perfection is easy. Need to finish all scenarios and there are some achievements that could be earned in any of your cities quite easily.
Posted September 2.
I love games created by Dontnod Entertainment. Life is Strange is probably the 2nd-3rd best story driven cinematic “choices matter” game I ever experienced (First is Telltale’s Walking Dead, I believe the story of Clementine is unbeatable in this category). While Vampyr had some bad combat, it was also saved by the very good story. I believe so, that Tell Me Why doesn't have the quality we usually get from this developer team.

Right now it feels that the review score has been brought by the fear of downvoting a game with its current theme. While Tell me Why has a message, I believe it is important for a story to be well written and interesting, which pulls in the player at the first second and not letting us away until the end.

The game has a very promising start. We learn about a family tragedy which causes the protagonist twin siblings to get apart while they are still very young. The gameplay start as the now adult twins reunite, so they can face their past and move on. Episode 1 is usually not the most emotional chapter in these kinds of games but Dontnod managed to make it extremely boring.

We learn about the superpower of the twins, that they can see the past and they have telepathically bonded with each other. The premise of the game is great. While one of the twins is a trangender human being and there are references in the story that he had a tough childhood because of that the writers failed to deliver any emotional memories to the players about this. In the 3 hours of the Episode we see just happy memories, that they both were loved by their mom, and while their mom was clearly fighting with inner demons there was a question in the air all the time: What was the problem which caused the tragedy? Based on the memories the game showed us, the tragic events were not exactly expected. During this “prologue” it was easy to abandon the game, I felt like it is a work to keep playing and the biggest problem of it? It is 33% of the total game, not just in the number of Episodes, but also in the total playtime.

Then we get to the ending of the first part of the game. The cliffhanger there is the first heartbreaking and emotional scene. It gave at least some hope for Episode 2, which was now actually better. The twins try to figure more about their past, they try to get better knowledge on their mother and about the inner shadows that haunted her. It started to be clear that only one of the twins is a notable character. Alyson became much more interesting and emotional. It could be because of the significantly better voice acting on her. Tyler is a different case, it felt so that the writers had no clue what to do with a transgender character and the forced LGBTQ romance with a side character felt more distracting and slowed down the story which was already bleeding. I blame the writers on that. The character of Tyler had a huge potential.

Then Episode 3 arrived and it was now finally on the standard of Dontnod. Alyson's character literally made the episode to a one protagonist show. His fight with the past and keeping mental integrity while getting released of it's burden is the emotional high point of the story.

The twins reveal the secrets and history of their mom at the end of the game through some very nice and interesting puzzles. We will get our happy or bad ending then at the end, based on the decisions we had during the gameplay, just like another important story at the end based on our single decision there.

Conclusion

It is worth playing if you have XBOX game pass because of some other game but purchasing it directly for the asked price? Nope, the actual valuable content of the game is way too short filled with empty stories.

Story: 5/10 Expected more from Dontnod.
Replay value: 1/10 Story driven game and the different decisions not influencing the story radically.
Atmosphere: 6/10 Game is easy to stop during episode 1 but then it gets some “moments’.
Voice Acting: 6/10 Tyler feels bad, Alyson exceptional and some characters have an extremely neutral and boring voice acting.
Music/Sound effects: 9/10.
Game difficulty: 3/10 There are some puzzles in the game, but no gameplay challenges in the game, no quick time events either.

Hey, I am an achievement hunter!
Perfection time: ~14-18h. Nearly two whole playthroughs required as 2 achievements awarded for the two endings and that is determined by the decisions you made through the whole game. It might be an option to focus on one in episode 1, then focus on another one on episode 2+3 so need to replay only from the start of episode 2. I can’t confirm this yet, not sure the different decisions outweigh E1 decisions. There are also collectibles and many missable achievements, but there are many guides already for the game.

Disclaimer: Game was given to me for review purposes by Microsoft/Xbox studios.

Posted August 28. Last edited September 13.

Spyro, Spyro, you little cute dragon,
be our lovely hero and paragon.

Spyro Reignited Trilogy is a remaster of 3 games, originally published between 1998 and 2000: Spyro the Dragon, Ripto's Rage! and Year of the Dragon. The game, the layout of the levels everything stayed the same and I must say it is better that way. The only and most significant change is the way the game looks. It became beautiful.

The game itself focuses on being as cute as possible. The young and little Spyro is extremely adorable, who is full of willingness to save the world. His determination is strong and it is well visible on his face, which turns into a grim, determined look as he charges toward his foes. While there are many enemies to defeat, they’re not so much deadly foes. Even bosses could be handled easily on first try with a few exceptions. Getting all gems, collectibles, finishing minigames or timed races are more challenging. Don’t be afraid, they are not too hard. The challenge is just enough to have some satisfaction, when, for example, reaching a gem which was visible from a far distance and got to there after discovering a secret path or successfully gliding to it.

In the first game Spyro travels from world to world freeing dragons imprisoned by the evil Gnasty Gnorc.
In Ripto’s Rage, our hero learns some new mechanics, swimming etc. Spyro just wanted some holiday after all the work he needed to do in the first episode but found just another foe. This time we need to collect talismans, orbs and each of them awarded for various challenges.
In Year of the Dragon, Spyro and friends must rescue dragon eggs stolen by an evil sorceress. Friends is an important word in the previous sentence, as this time you can control other characters too, once unlocked, as many levels have areas you can explore only with one of the 4 other playable characters: Sheila the Kangaroo, Sgt. Byrd, Bentley the Yeti, and Agent 9 the Monkey.

Conclusion

Spyro Reignited Trilogy is a great game and highly recommended. Platformer games are not my favourite but I really liked this one.

Story: 9/10 Interesting characters, funny stories, just what you need to cheer yourself up after work/school.
Replay value: 5/10 It is unclear, if anyone would replay this once completed everything to 100%, it is still possible and not a bad move to replay it again after a few years.
Atmosphere: 9/10 A decent entertaining platformer, for all ages. Its goal is to entertain and Spyro is not going to fail you. You will be enchanted.
Visuals: 9/10 Beautiful, cartoony, fantasy landscapes and cute characters.
Music/Sound effects: 10/10 quality music/sound effects, to make the world of the dragons even more magical and you can switch to the original music from 1998.
Voice Acting: 10/10 Cute and charming voices.
Game difficulty: 5/10 Not a roguelike or soulslike, just a chilling platformer with some challenges.

Hey, I am an achievement hunter!
Perfection time: ~35-40 hours. Every single world has one level specific achievement and you need to finish every game to 100%. Some challenges included but perfection is far from being impossible.
Posted August 24.

While playing as Javi, you try to survive the Zombie Apocalypse while taking care of your niece, nephew and the wife of your brother. The world falls apart and not just the zombies threaten your group. Other survivors pose a danger too.

What kind of games are Telltale games?

Telltale, while it existed, created to us many entertaining, interactive movies, like this. If you played any Telltale game before you will know what you expect in this game, but if not, let me summarize to you what you can experience in this one:

-lot of text/narration, this is a story oriented game after all
-during conversations you always have multiple choices as answers. Your answers have some minor impact on the story. Please be aware, these impacts are not significant. If you plan to replay the game with different answers, then these are not going to lead to different endings or to serious differences.
-point and click content. While investigating areas the gameplay is like playing a point and click game.

Should I play any other game before this?

Telltale created 5 Walking Dead games. Walking Dead Michonne not related to this story, the other 4 follows the life of Clementine in a zombie infested world. She is not the protagonist of this game but plays an important role in it. It would be highly recommended to play The Walking Dead and then The Walking Dead: Season Two first, and once you finished this game, as closure, go for TWD: The Final Season. During sales you can get a good ~50h entertainment for a decent, low price.

Other 3 games of Clementine’s story on 95%+ reviews, this one only on ~77%+, is this a bad game then?

No, the other 3 games are exceptional, this has just a “good” story. Still better than the series. The reason the other 3 are better is that losing any character in those is much more heartbreaking. While this episode has emotional turning points too, it is not that intense than it is in the other episodes. What also might have caused less positive reviews is that Clementine became a bit too bad-ass in this episode. Actually that was something I did not like either.

Conclusion

Spent ~3€ during a sale on this. No regrets, I enjoyed every second of this game. I would highly recommend the whole series to anyone who is looking for a good and emotional story.

Story: 8/10 TWD1, TWD2 has 10/10 for sure, i even cried on TWD1. This one is still very interesting and enjoyable.
Replay value: 1/10 “your decisions influence the story”. Well, that impact is very minimal. You are not going to see a different story if you replay the game, just different characters will have different roles, different characters will die, etc.
Atmosphere: 9/10 TWD and better than the series.
Visuals: 7/10 Telltale gone bankrupt because of some bad decisions, but some also say because they did not upgrade their engine and offered the same style of graphic. However, i think this graphic is still quite good, a bit more cartoony so aging more slowly than “realistic” graphics games.
Gameplay mechanics: 7/10 nothing new offered, QTEs while you literally watch a movie, but still enough interactions. Execution is good tho, no bugs.
Music/Sound effects: 9/10 quality music/sound effects, zombie roars, suitable for the game.
Voice Acting: 9/10 Telltale games have decent voice acting.
Game difficulty: 2/10 quick time events not really hard. You might die once or twice sometimes, but that is all.

Hey, I am an achievement hunter!
Perfection time: ~8 hours. You don’t need to care about anything, just playing the game. All achievements are awarded for progressing on the story, nothing missable.
Posted August 20.

Nananananananananananananananananananananananananananananananananananananananananananananananananananananananananananananananana

BATMAN!!!!!!!!!

-lot of text/narration, this is a story oriented game after all
- QTE, quick time events. What does it mean? In different situations you need to press specific buttons and these actions usually need to be done multiple times in a short period of time. Usually used during combats, “platforming”. QTEs in this game are a bit more interesting than in other Telltale games.

Should i play First Telltale Batman before this game?

Separate story, but there are many references to the first telltale batman game, many character react based on decisions you made in first game (if you still have your save file from first game and at the start of this game you decide to import the decisions from the first Batman, else it will be randomly generated).

Which Telltale Batman is better?

I would say this one. First game spends the first episode on the already known backstory. This has a better story and more crazy. This game includes Joker in the full game and not sure what your opinions are dear reader (feel free to comment if you disagree), but I believe Joker is the best villain ever made in any comic universe. Either DC or Marvel, the character of Joker is the best.

Conclusion

I bought the game during Summer Sale of 2020 for like 6EUR together with the other Telltale Batman game. What should i say? No regrets!

Story: 9/10 Watched already many Batman/Joker movies and will play the game after those? Then the game feels a bit out of context, with a story not fitting with the story of other batman stories/movies. This Batman is still a very good interactive movie. After all a well made Joker is in it:-)
Replay value: 1/10 “your decisions influence the story”. Well, that impact is very minimal. You are not going to see a different story if you replay the game, just different characters will have different roles. The game is not worth replaying.
Atmosphere: 9/10 nananananana BATMAN!
Music/Sound effects: 7/10 quality music/sound effects, suitable for the game.
Voice Acting: 8/10 Telltale games have decent voice acting. Batman - The Telltale Stories isn’t different.

Hey, I am an achievement hunter!
Perfection time: ~10 hours. You don’t need to care about anything, just playing the game. All achievements are awarded for progressing on the story, nothing missable.
Posted August 16.

Relicta is a puzzle game and actually the best one I have played since Talos Principle.

Game received for free. Is this a paid review?

My reviews always represent my own opinion. I am not a reviewer / curator who plays/idle each game for 30mins then writes some crap about the game. As you can see from my playtime (and achievements) I finished the game, created videos, guides about the game so I experienced the whole content. Additionally, feel free to check my reviews, I have negatives on “games received for free” if that is what reflects my opinion on that game.

The story

.As usually, I don’t want to reveal too much of the story. You play as a female scientist on a moon base who is trying to find the secrets of an alien object. That object, the Relicta is actually a living entity and slowly infiltrating your mind.

Puzzle variability

Game includes 9 different puzzle areas + the 2 tutorial areas. That means about 50 different puzzle locations without the tutorial levels. Each area includes new mechanics so the game never gets boring, it stays refreshing, interesting and keeps offering new challenges. You also need to be creative, you need to think about all you could do while you use magnetism effect and anti gravitational effect on the cubes. The new tricks are not shown to you in every single area.

Minor problems

The perfect game is not existing. Every single one, even good ones has some minor issues or something we dislike in it. For me these were:

-between puzzle areas you can explore the moonbase. However, these areas feel empty. Yes, there are collectibles for some lore, but still, these areas are a bit boring.
-physics puzzle games will never be perfect. My cube levitates to one direction while it has a zero gravity effect on it, then hits a wall. Shouldn’t it start to levitate to the other direction because of the force it had by the collision to the wall? Well, I believe that would make a game extremely difficult and more random and this is why more logical puzzles, like Talos Principle will stay better, even if just slightly.

Conclusion

Relicta is great. It will train your brain. One of the best puzzle game of 2020 for sure, definitely worth its price. If you love puzzle games then this is a MUST TO PLAY.

Story: 8/10
Replay value: 3/10 You probably won't remember the solution of all puzzles, so perhaps replayable once, but such games usually are not good for replaying. Perhaps after a few years...
Atmosphere: 9/10
Visuals: 9/10 Characters look cute, enemies have some nice graphics too, it is a visually pleasant game. The best part of the game.
Gameplay mechanics: 8/10 Physics based puzzle games always have some minor problems, RNG in executing this, this is not an exception but it is close to perfection.
Music/Sound effects: 9/10
Narration/Voice acting: 10/10 Some say accents on characters are bad. I quite love it actually. It is totally understandable, clear, but also gives some charm to the characters. English became a global language but I believe 80% of humanity, or more speaking it with accent, me included, so negative reviews just because of this is just another clear sign of the anglo-american imperialist suppression.
Game difficulty: 7/10 Some puzzles hard to figure out, but if you like puzzle games then you should be able to figure out each of them. Still stuck somewhere? Then check out my walkthrough where I also explain what I'm doing during puzzles so you can solve it easily. You can find timestamps for the playlist in my steam guide:

Hey, I am an achievement hunter!

Perfection time: ~20h first playthrough (without guide, hints, walkthroughs), then +X hours you need to finish the 6h speedrun achievement. It is not that hard actually if you skip cutscenes and you go to the menu at each puzzle start and refresh your memories on that puzzle by checking my walkthrough video. Even though i have not done it yet, as right now i don’t have time for one more walkthrough.

There are also collectibles in the game and you need to get them in a single playthrough, all listed with screenshots in my steam guide:

Posted August 8. Last edited August 8.
Banner of Ruin is a deck building strategy card battler, which became popular since Slay the Spire and also had another popular release this year so far, which is Monster Train.

If you curious about some gameplay with information about the contents then check my video about it:

Or read this review for more information.

Gameplay and the beginning

The game starts really interesting. You have multiple characters up to 6. You start the game with 2, while at taverns you can recruit more for the currency you find during your adventure.

Each of your characters has 2 resources. Stamina and willpower. These are also the cost of the cards. Stamina replenish for every turn, willpower replenish for every new battle.

Your characters can have some equipment: weapons and armors. These determine their weapon damage, starting armor on battles. These items also give you some cards and related cards could be used only by that character which equipped that item.

Getting experience and level up also something unusual on card battler roguelikes. Upon level up on your character you can increase stamina or willpower by one. Every even level unlock a card for the character, which could be used only by that character. Every uneven level unlock a specific skill for the character, which provides other bonuses.

The gameplay is solved in a simple way. There are 3 lanes and you need to decide on which lane you are progressing. These are not hidden events, you see the choosable options. Some of these are combats, you can get new cards, get currency or experience/level ups and so on.

So the beginning looks nice, it feels like a good game with a lot of potential, but then...

No card upgrades, how could i get better for tougher enemies as I progress in the game?

As you progress in the game, combats will be more and more tough. As it should be. With a minor problem. You are not going to be stronger at all. Because of level ups you might have more stamina, you could play more cards but you still get 5 cards at the beginning of the turn. Stronger enemies also do more nasty stuff, more damage and you still have the same weak cards as at the beginning. No option to upgrade cards.

You would think that character level up will compensate for this. Levels would increase some character stats and those would be added to your attacks, defensive stats of armor cards or special abilities. This is not the case.

So you stick with +5 armor cards, low damage cards and already at mid game the enemies now doing 15+ damages while having 70+ health points.

Quality of Life problems, difficulty, or why not adopting working methods?

Changing your mind is not possible. Dragging a card in Slay the Spire and Monster Train works perfectly. You can still change your mind until you use the dragged card on the enemy/own character. Now in this one you select the card and it is not removable. Now you need to select on which enemy/character you want to use, can’t remove or change another card. Forgot to change your own character, wanted to use it with a different character? No matter if you still have not selected an enemy, you can’t step back to cancel or choose another card. Moving your mouse and accidentally clicking on a card makes you need to use that card and with the active character. - THIS WAS FIXED WITH A PATCH ON 8/8/20
How is a game called a deck building card game if there is VERY LIMITED options to remove cards from your deck? This literally kills the strategy elements, you can’t optimize your deck, it totally ruins everything these games are about. Some say there are options to remove cards, in 10hours i not found any event for it and i always went for new path if i not seen any event yet.
The game is played on a battlefield with 2 “ranks” on all sides and 3 spots for characters in each rank. There is literally no effect on the position of your characters. Enemies from the front rank can attack your creatures in the back rank, even if you have a character in the frontal area. Enemies like to attack your same creature, which makes you constantly lose your characters, with their total, huge damage is easy for them to beat the armor you can build up. There is an enemy front of you, at the same position like yours and you still can face any other enemy and vice versa.
During some events you can sometimes choose to “receive” a specific card, but you don’t get information about what those cards are doing at all.

Those are just 4 examples but should mean a “don’t buy” for anyone looking for a deck building roguelike.

Limited amount of card variety

Another big problem: The game has way too few cards.

”6 Races to explore with unique racial card pools and passives to choose from.”

I am not sure how this is a lie on the store page or not. The fact is: I was able to choose the same cards/abilities during level ups for the character on different racials. It is possible that each of the races has uniques, but from the fact I was able to select the same on different ones makes me question this statement.

Difficulty

Healing is literally not existing and too rare. There are no healing cards while you take insanely huge amounts of damage that you can’t counter with armors. The healing events during progressing the streets are way too rare. This is another game breaking mechanic, you simply can’t finish a run.

No wonder those card battlers get popular, which solving difficulty scalings the way like Monster Train or Slay the Spire done. Once finished the game first, on a regular, doable difficulty you can increase difficulty with Ascension/Covenant levels and once finished game on that one too, you can keep adding more buffs, difficulties for selecting the next level. Works like charm on these games, offering a huge replayability. In this game however, it looks like so, the developers decided to create one, unbeatable, unbalanced difficulty instead.

With some healing cards, more healing events or card upgrades it could be finished. Best would be, which would give some unique feeling to the game, if characters would have stats on them and you could modify the stats of these characters during level up. These stats should affect your cards, so instead card upgrades these will adjust your cards for later enemies: Like +1 strength would give +1 dmg by that character on damaging cards, some other stat would add +1 special counter to special effect, so instead +2 poison by card it would give +3. +1 Defense would add +1 armor on armor cards. This is an extremely missed opportunity with this level up character card battler system the developers dreamed.

Conclusion

Nope, don’t buy it, go for Monster Train or Slay the Spire instead. My opinion might change after balancing and many-many modifications, but right now I can't call the game a decent deck builder roguelike.

Story: 5/10
Replay value: 8/10 As for all card games, the replay value is huge, IF you want to replay a game with all its problems.
Atmosphere: 4/10 Ruined by QoL issues.
Gameplay mechanics: 2/10 Some interesting concept but a deck building game without an option to remove cards, modify, upgrade and many other QoL problems is very problematic.
Music/Sound effects: 6/10
Game difficulty: 10/10 Difficulty comes because of an extremely unbalanced game.

Hey, I am an achievement hunter!

Perfection time: I can't tell any information about this. I did not manage to get any achievements in my playtime, but as it is extremely hard or impossible to get to the later stages of the game perfection might be impossibly hard. Also looks like steam achievements were bugged as a patch on 8/8/20 fixed achievement unlocks.
Posted July 30. Last edited August 7.
< 1  2  3 ... 18 >