Recent reviews by Cali

Strong follow-up to Horizon 4 which is already a very good game. It makes small tweaks and iterations but largely doesn't deviate from the proven formula.

However, there are some performance issue, though these will hopefully be fixed with updates.
Posted November 25, 2021.
I got it in the last sale and I'm loving it. Sunset Overdrive prioritises fun in every area from the fluid movement, to the satisfying combat, the colourful characters and the punk soundtrack. No part of this game takes itself seriously at all.

Whilst it might not win any award for storytelling, it's been refreshing to play a AAA game that's so unashamedly energetic and colourful.
Posted December 26, 2020. Last edited February 28, 2021.
A short but lovely point-and-click game filled with charm and humour.

Note though, you'll need to play it through twice to meet all the colourful characters and get the full ending.
Posted July 14, 2020. Last edited February 28, 2021.
A nice chill game to kick back, relax and savour the little moments.
Posted June 26, 2020.
The Surge 2 develops upon the first game (which I also enjoyed greatly) to deliver an even better experience.

Larger more-open level design, greater weapon variety, better NPC interaction, more side quests and greater combat depth all add to the meaty action and addictive gameplay loop established in the first game.

If you enjoyed the first you'll almost certainly enjoy this. I've also heard that people who didn't enjoy the first enjoyed this more due to the added mechanical depth in combat with the directional parry mechanic.

Either way I'm a big fan so I think this is worth a look.
Posted June 5, 2020.
Worth a look if you enjoyed the original Half Life. Not as good as Opposing Force but still good in it's own right.
Posted March 2, 2020.
If you enjoyed the original Half Life, you'll enjoy this.
Opposing Force recreates and builds upon what made the original game great.
Posted March 2, 2020.
The perfect throwback to classic 3D platformers like Banjo and Mario that still maintains a fun and charming identity of it's own.🎩
Posted June 30, 2019. Last edited November 26, 2020.
Having never played a souls-like I was drawn to the sci-fi setting, though I wasn't sure if I'd even like a game of this genre. I figured I'd get it on a sale, play it for a bit, hit a wall of difficulty and leave it but that wasn't the case.

Instead I found the game really fun and engaging from start to finish. The combat was tight and meaty which made the grind to level-up gear and aquire tech scrap feel rewarding. As you get better at the game and level-up you can explore more of the area, finding implants, audio logs and shortcuts which made each journey out of OPS worthwhile. The story definetly isn't the best but it provides enough of an intriguing setting that you want to discover more about what's going on at the higher levels of CREO.

This leads to my only real complaint about the game, the ending. The way the game tells most of it's story is through broken-up audio logs. Through these snippets you get insight into different employee's lives before, during and after the incident which draws you into the mystery and builds up to a great unveiling at the end. But in my opinion the ending was somewhat unsatisfying.

Ultimately, the journey far outweighs the destination so I'd recommend giving The Surge a shot.
Posted April 8, 2018.
Great music, beautiful presentation and tight gameplay. Cuphead's a challenging-but-fair blast from start to finish.
Posted October 6, 2017. Last edited April 8, 2018.