Recent reviews by CrazyCanuck84.tv

< 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 >
Overview
I bought Dead By Daylight on launch day and played maybe five hours or so of it over the following week. I enjoyed it (mostly as survivor), but for some reason it didn’t stick with me. I tried it again out of boredom in November of 2017 and I don’t know what’s changed, but it somehow has its hooks in me (no pun intended).

As such, this review is based on the current version of the game, and I can’t speak to how it was in the past, especially before the legacy cosmetics from the old, grindy bloodweb. It’s also primarily from the survivor viewpoint, as I’d say 70 of my (currently) 83 hours are from survivor gameplay.

If you want to check out some gameplay, watch some of my highlights here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2Fk2rNSqcc

Overall, I’m impressed and quite like Dead By Daylight. It is equal parts tense, frightening, frustrating, and what-the-hell inducing.

As the survivor, your job is to repair enough generators with your team to power doors, which you then need to open to escape and survive the match. As the killer, your job is to stop them from repairing those generators and therefore stop them from escaping.

Survivors and killers can both equip themselves with various perks and offerings, which make your job easier. For example, survivors can equip a sprint burst that gives them a big burst of speed to try to lose the killer, and killers can equip a perk that lets them see survivors whenever they injure one. There are a ton of various combinations.

Leveling up is accomplished by filling out a blood web. Bloodpoints are earned to your account regardless of who you play as, so you could use your highest level character with the best perks to grind points and then level up your other characters.

Graphically, the game looks good. The environments are both dark and creepy, and there’s lot of little details in pretty much every aspect of the world. Sound plays a huge role, as you’ll be able to figure out where the killer is and which side they’re coming from, potentially giving you that extra few seconds you need to escape. The core gameplay loop doesn’t ever change (repair gens > rescue friends > escape or kill people), but it somehow remains fun.

Assuming you own all the DLC, there is a large amount of survivors and killers to level. The max level is 50, but you can prestige three times, making the unofficial level cap 200. The game will keep you playing for a long time if you choose to.

On the flip side, bugs. There are countless bugs that BHVR (the developer) seem to not give a damn about. You’ll join a lobby and despite only three of four people being ready, the game somehow starts, and the scoreboard at the end will only show you. Or there are a ton of visual bugs, such as your rank never changing despite you earning enough points to warrant it.

My biggest gripe is that the game uses peer-to-peer matchmaking, and it’s always the killer that acts as host, so you’re at the mercy of a killer who may be in the middle of nowhere, or stuck on 20 year old dialup and refuses to update. This also leads to many types of disconnection issues, to which there is no recourse. You use an expensive offering and the killer disconnects before the match even starts? Oh well, screw you.

BHVR has stated that it’s a “complex” and “involved” issue to figure out how to punish disconnections, but if they had used dedicated servers, it wouldn’t be an issue. Unfortunately, they chose not to spend the money so now they’re in a “oh well, we’re too lazy to figure it out kthx” position. Sadly this does not seem to ever be something that will change, and therefore will always be the biggest issue with the game.

My second biggest issue is, as survivors, you cannot see who the killer is, but the killer can see your name. So, BHVR basically protects the killer against survivors who may recognize them as someone who camps or plays in a way they disagree with, forcing them into a game and either dealing with it, or leaving the match and incurring a penalty.

Pros
  • Super fun gameplay loop that keeps you on your toes
  • Tense gameplay
  • Surprising amount of variety for what the game is
  • Lots of survivors and killers to fully level
  • Enough map selection and random placement of items to keep the game fresh
  • Great licensed DLC (Nightmare On Elm Street, SAW, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Halloween)
  • Tons of various loadout and perk combinations to keep the game fresh
Cons
  • Ridiculous amount of bugs
  • Fairly inattentive developer who focuses more on DLC and streams than actually fixing any issues, especially those that have been around since launch
  • Peer-to-peer matchmaking
Summary
If you like horror and tense multiplayer gaming, you’ll love Dead By Daylight. Its gameplay loop will keep you occupied, whether you focus on survivor or killer, and there’s always something different, no matter how much you play.

However, be prepared to lose offerings when you eventually, and quickly, find a killer who disconnects and causes you to lose your items with no punishment to them. There are so many QoL enhancements that could be made that BHVR simply refuses to do.

(Dead By Daylight was purchased directly through Steam. This review has not been paid for in any way.)
Posted March 5.
Overview
Oh man, Night Trap. I remember playing this back in 1992 on my Sega CD, which, considering my age at the time, probably wasn’t the best idea. I also remember many other FMV games of the time: Who Shot Johnny Rock, Mad Dog McCree, Crime Patrol, Double Switch, Sewer Shark, Fahrenheit 911, Tomcat Alley… the list goes on.

Night Trap is clearly the most memorable bunch, as it pretty forced what we know as the ESRB into existence, thanks to Sen. Joseph Liebermand helicopter parents who complained about its “gratuitous sex and violence”, two things which Night Trap doesn’t have.

And here we are in, 2018 (I realize it came out last year, I just got to reviewing it now), and Night Trap is an insanely tame game by today’s standards. Is it still worth playing? Yes.

If you’re unfamilar with the game, you’re cast as an unnamed, unspoken operator in charge of eight cameras set up in the house, and you have to trap what are known as Augers (read: vampires). They skulk around the house, and you need to swap to the correct camera to be able to trap them. Trapping is performed by right-clicking when a specific meter turns red, which indicates they’re over a trap. This could be lowering glass panes which traps them, before the floor gives way, turning the stairs into a slide where they slide down into a waiting gap in the floor, and various other methods.

This is the core gameplay loop. Watch scenes, find the augers, trap them, save the girls. Occasionally the access code will change colors, which you’ll need to watch a scene to figure out, as the colors are random.

Screaming Villains has touched up the entire video track for this anniversary edition, but bear in mind the game was released in 1992 (therefore the video was filmed in 1991, if not earlier), so it’s going to be grainy. Don’t expect high fidelity, 4K visuals for something that’s now 26 years old.

Sound and music are roughly the same, in that they’ve been retouched, but still maintain qualities that was early 90s technology. Voice acting is cheesy and bad, but considering the 90s horror’ish vibe they were going for, it works.

There isn’t much to the gameplay aside from what I’ve mentioned, and a full game will take you roughly 26 minutes. There’s a timer that counts up for the duration, and the game will always end around 25, unless you’ve failed before hand.

There are six endings to get, most of which require a full playthrough from the start, as well as various achievements to complete the game using different screen layouts from various years, as well as a new for one 2017. The devs have also included a decent amount of bonus content, including a theatre mode that lets you watch all the scenes (once you’ve unlocked them), two documentaries, and a playable version of Scene of the Crime, which was an early Night Trap prototype.

Pros
  • It’s still fun, at least once or twice
  • Watching the augers fall into various traps is neat
Cons
  • It’s an FMV, and therefore comes with all the bad things associated with that
  • It hasn’t aged well
Summary
It’s Night Trap. If you’re old enough to remember the Sega CD release (or one of the subsequent ones), you’ll know what to expect. If you don’t know what to expect, it’s an FMV game. Think of something like Late Shift or The Infectious Madness of Dr. Dekker, two FMV-style games I can think of in recent memory.

It’s very linear, it’s short, and unless you want to unlock everything and see all the endings, it won’t take you long to get through it. With all the bonus content that Screaming Villains has thrown in, especially Scene of the Crime, I believe that Night Trap is well worth its asking price, despite its short duration.

(Night Trap: 25th Anniversary Edition was purchased directly through Steam. This review has not been paid for in any way.)
Posted February 12.
Overview
Where to begin with Dead Secret. At its core is a murder mystery, that has you solving puzzles and finding documents to figure out what happened and who did it. In this regard, it succeeds. It’s a neat story with clever writing and some light but fun puzzles.

Where it doesn’t succeed, however, is in the gameplay. However, does its shortcomings outweigh the good? It’s a tough choice, and this game is another example of why we should have a Neutral/Indifferent option instead of just Recommended or Not Recommended.

The game looks decent for what it is. Nothing is spectacular, but the environment is appropriately creepy, and there is lots of little attention to detail. There aren’t much in the way of character models, but the few that you do see often are well made.

Sound effects are good and get the job done, and the music brings home just how weird this investigation is, both of which bring out the world just a little bit more. The main character, Patricia, is poorly voiced, however. She also sounds like a robotic voice at times, reading text you typed into those old black and white box Macintosh computers.

Gameplay, movement especially, is not so good. You’re limited to walking on pre-set paths, and pressing W or D causes your character to look up or down, for some reason. This is likely due to the VR aspects of the game, but it feels weird when not playing in VR. Movement is also ridiculously slow, which is most apparent when you find the secret area of one person. It’s a slog. Inventory use is done by moving your mouse to look at the various items, and to grab the one you want to use. Also a byproduct of VR, but feels clunky and weird as a regular game.

The story is definitely the focal point of this game, and it’s well done. Unlike many games, I was actually invested in reading all of the notes and documents, and wanted to collect all of them to figure out the story. It’s a great story, with a nice ending.

Speaking of endings, there are five of them. Two of them can be accomplished by playing the game, and three are given at the very end. They’re all extremely easy to get, all can be accomplished in one playthrough, and when you do get one, the game resumes at that very scene, which explains the simplicity in getting all five. Basically there is a great, good, and bad ending, followed by two more. I won’t spoil it, but you’ll figure it out.

Dead Secret is also very short, and unless you get stumped on a puzzle (which you shouldn’t), you can finish it in under two hours, and that includes all five endings.

Pros
  • Good story with clever writing
  • Light puzzles that might make you think a little, but aren’t challenging
  • Neat environment
  • Lots of notes to read and collect, which give great backstory
  • Mostly good audio design
Cons
  • Odd movement and clunky gameplay
  • Very short
  • No replay value
Summary
Dead Secret has a great story with some great writing and exploring, but is hampered by being extremely short and not that well optimized for non-VR play. I just barely recommend the game, but with one caveat: get it on sale or in a bundle. At full price, it’s just too short of an experience to justiy.

(Dead Secret was purchased through an authorized third party. This review has not been paid for in any way.)
Posted February 10.
Overview
Roots of Insanity is a psychological and fairly gory horror game that throws you into a hospital, and you have to explore and find your way out.

Stop me if you’ve heard this one before, right?

As horror games in hospitals go, Roots of Insanity isn’t terrible. It’s fairly generic, the story had one interesting twist, and there are plenty of jump scares if that’s your thing, but it has average looks, average sound and is pretty much an average game all around.

You’ll make your way through various parts of the hospital, which all tend to look alike. Operating theatre to bathroom to hallway to reception, until you eventually make your way outside for a short stint, which looks nice compared to the rest of the game. This, however, could also be because it’s just different than the typical industrial hospital style corridors.

You have some minor objectives, like finding a funnel and gas can so that you can refill a generator to turn on the lights, but the game doesn’t get much more in-depth than that.

Graphically, it’s passable. It looks alright, but it’s nothing special. Zombie models are basic and limited, textures and locations repeat. Sound design is also passable. The main character is surprisingly well voiced, and everyone else isn’t. Zombies make generic moans that sound like they were either lifted from another game, or bought. Atmospheric sound effects are quite well done, especially when combined with the jump scares. Music is the standout, and comes in and out at the right time and really adds to the overall feel of the game.

Gameplay consists of finding your way around, picking up notes, fighting off enemies, and getting to the end. That’s about it. There’s just not much to the game, and it’ll take you less than two hours from start to finish. It’s definitely weird, gory, and worth a play through.

Note for achievement hunters: if you like achievements, they’re broken in this beyond the first two. The dev seems to have acknowledged this in the forums many months ago, but has been absolutely quiet about it, and as it’s a one-off game, you shouldn’t expect this to ever be corrected. Keep this in mind if buying this game, or the developer’s future games.

Pros
  • Decent experience for the investment
  • Creepy locations and set pieces
  • Interesting twist I didn’t expect, and I usually pick up on these kinds of stories
  • Music and some voice acting is good
Cons
  • Very short, easily completed in a sitting
  • Questionable hit detection and fighting
  • Overly generic
  • Achievements are broken beyond the first two, and are unlikely to be fixed
Summary
Overall, I recommend Roots of Insanity, as it’s a decent and quick horror experience if you’re looking for a quick fix. It’s nothing special, and it’ll be forgotten as time goes on, but as it’s frequently cheap and occasionally in a bundle, there’s little reason not to give it a quick play through.

(Roots of Insanity was included in a purchased bundle. This review has not been paid for in any way.)
Posted February 10.
Overview
Narcosis manages to do what lots of games can’t, and that is make underwater segments fun. Many games, when they throw you underwater, it just isn’t fun. Most notably, for me, World of Warcraft. Vashj’ir was a terrible, terrible zone, the worst one in the game. But I digress.

Walking around the disturbing, dark and scary depths in Narcosis is fun. For the most part, you could argue the game is a walking simulator, as you’re slowly making your way from location to location, collecting items and figuring out a story, only with the occasional bout of combat against a couple of fish.

As you explore your surroundings, you’ll notice that the game looks terrific. Everything is appropriately creepy, disturbing, sad, occasionally happy. The outdoor environments look better than the indoor ones, from the crags to the mountains to the lava fields, of all things.

Sound design is superb, and really immerses you in the whole thing, and I recommend headphones for the best experience. You can hear your footsteps thump heavily, water moving as fish swim past, just overall very good design.

But like all games, Narcosis has its issues. There are a couple of platforming segments that, while not all of them long, are a chore. I don’t know if that’s because of design or just the restricted view and odd movement of your suit, but they are not fun at all. One of the them goes on slightly longer than it needs to.

In addition, it relies on some tropes, more than once, that we’re all used to by now. This includes the activating something, which causes the music to stop, you then turn around and boo, something’s there. Or you walk through a looped hallway that never ends until you realize right, I’ve done this before, I should turn around and go backwards.

Pros
  • Excellent graphics
  • Superb sound and music
  • Voice acting is great
  • Lots to collect and learn about what happened
Cons
  • Occasional frustrating moments
  • Many cliched horror elements
Summary
Overall, Narcosis is well worth your money and time. It’s a haunting, creepy, occasionally frustrating journey that should be experienced.

And while I won’t spoil anything, the ending? I definitely did not see the twist they throw at you.

(Narcosis was purchased directly through Steam. This review has not been paid for in any way.)
Posted January 25.
Overview
Until None Remain is yet another entry in the battle royale series. As it stands, it appears to be a low effort take with little redeeming quality.

The game has potential. It looks nice, it has lots of weapons and items, and the animation and movement seem smooth, but the game just isn’t there. It’s essentially completely unknown, and the developer has been tossing keys out to pretty much everybody. In the grand scheme of things, I’m a nobody, and even I received a key from the developer.

The biggest thing going for it, in my opinion, is that it’s sci-fi. There are lots of battle royale games out there, but I can’t recall any that are really sci-fi.

I received a key about two weeks before Christmas. Since then, I’ve tried playing it many times, on different days (including weekends), at different times of the day, and I’ve only ever encountered one actual human. Every other time has been nothing but bots, and the bots are beyond stupid. They stand and shoot. They occasionally take cover, but they don’t move. You can often stand right next to them and they don’t shoot or even look at you, it’s like the AI scripting is broken.

The same developer first released this game in October for VR, with a date of leaving early access at the end of 2017. Obviously that’s come and gone. This version is supposed to be out in mid-2018, but who knows. Why did they release a non-VR version when the VR game is at the same stage of development, has zero playerbase, and is already late on release?

Pros
  • Looks decent and has future potential
Cons
  • No player base
  • No marketing
  • Minimal communication from developer
  • Working on two versions of the same game at the same time, with neither really receiving any work
Summary
As it stands, Until None Remain is still an unheard of game in a burgeoning genre. The devs have been tossing keys out like candy, and it’s already been in a bundle, yet still has absolutely no people. Do not buy it, lest you enjoy playing against two bots that have worse programming than the stand and shoot AI from the original Doom.

I will revisit in the future should the game actually have people to play with.

If you want to check out some gameplay, watch my video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_4P0jBT0GM

(Until None Remain was provided by the developer.)
Posted January 10. Last edited January 10.
Overview
Odyssey: The Next Generation Science Game is what you would get if Myst and The Witness got together, figured out the puzzle of making of love, and had a baby.

It’s primarily an adventure puzzle game that sees you set ashore on a series of islands. Using a journal and information you discover as you play, you set out to solve puzzles. It begins easily enough, like drawing a constellation on a door to open it, but quickly turns difficult, and puts real world applications to use.

To solve pretty much every puzzle, you’ll be using geography, mathematics, mechanics, physics, and primarily astronomy. You’ll need to align the sun with a ball to cast a shadow on a constellation to drop a ladder, for example, which will then task you with something else. You’ll figure out weights, momentum, and more. It’s all very scientific.

And that is both the game’s success and downfall.

While the journal does a fantastic job of explaining the various scientific concepts, it is marred in a lot of reading that, and no offense, may go over the head of some people. Aside from the journal, its puzzles are very obtuse, and it in no way offers to help you, again, except for the very drawn out journal entries.

That said, the puzzles are fantastic and satisfying. I had to resort to a guide for a couple puzzles, because I just couldn’t figure it out myself, but then I went back and re-read and figured out how the person came to that conclusion, and I feel smarter as a result.

The game is decent looking. There isn’t much to the environment, and it’s all pretty much the same: trees, grass, rocks, mountains, wooden shacks and the occasional cave system. Sound is also decent, music is fun, but neither are worth writing home about. As all the puzzles are reliant on you figuring out real world scientific info, graphics and sound play no part in any of the puzzles.

One thing to note, in case it’s a dealbreaker to you, is that this is supposedly episode one. According to the game’s about page, Odyssey is currently chapters one through three, with chapters four through six coming in a sequel. None of this is clearly communicated, nor does the game have a subtitle of “Episode 1”, or something similar. This is only shown at the very bottom of the information box. As such, there is no guarantee that a sequel will ever come out, and the game’s ending does leave a little to be desired.

Pros
  • Excellent puzzles based on real world science
  • You don’t get to say this often, but the game will teach you basic principles of astronomy, motion, momentum and physics
  • Easy achievements (all story related) for those who hunt
  • Fairly long if the puzzles get to you and you need to work things out (see the appropriate con)
  • Great to play with kids
Cons
  • If these kinds of puzzles are easy for you, the game is over in an hour, if that
  • Occasionally obtuse puzzles you’d swear are right, but are off by the teensiest amount and therefore wrong
Summary
Odyssey: The Next Generation Science Game is a terrific brain wracking game that you’re either going to love or hate. I loved it myself, and heartily recommend it. If the mechanics of the game are nothing new to you, it’s still an interesting way of figuring out puzzles, and if these areas of science are something you’re new to, you’ll likely enjoy reading all about the real world history everything is based on, from Aristotle to Ptolemy.

(Odyssey was purchased directly through Steam. This review has not been paid for in any way.)
Posted January 9. Last edited January 9.
Overview
I originally played Bulletstorm when it came out on the PlayStation 3 a few years ago. I enjoyed what I played of it, but I quit when I got to the part where the Burnouts appear. It just became a tiring, monotonous corridor shooter, after what was a fun first part. Enter room, kill everything until music stops, go to next room, repeat the process. It just stopped being fun.

Played it again with the Full Clip Edition, and it’s just as boring now as it was back then. The first part of the game is great, the interaction between Grayson and his team is good, the dialogue is genuinely funny at times, but then the second half seems like it was a completely different developer. The gameplay becomes boring and repetitive, General Serrano is the most annoyingly voiced character (for the time), and the dialogue as a whole just goes downhill.

The leash is undoubtedly the best part of the game, and you can really set up some interesting kills by leashing enemies, kicking them, and doing whatever you want. I really wish more games would take a similar approach and introduce similar concepts.

Graphically, the game looks fantastic, and you can definitely tell that it’s a remaster and not just a port of an aged console game. Environments are bright and pop out, the way the enemies move and react is great, and the overall look and feel is on point.

Sound design is terrific, from the grunts and groans to the explosions and weapons firing. Music is fairly repetitive, but there’s enough variety that you probably won’t notice it. Voice acting is, for most of the game, excellent, and the dialogue between Grayson and Ishi, as well as Grayson and Trishka. The other voice acting is meh.

Bullestorm has some excellent shooting and some great set pieces, but also has some questionable moments. For example, when using the sniper rifle, how is it that every single enemy, no matter where they are, will always duck at the last minute, and they all duck in the exact same motion? Little touches like this really draw you out and make you wonder what happened to the development team, and why they lost their momentum.

Pros
  • Great shooting and variety of weapons
  • Leashing enemies into things is super fun
  • Dialogue is genuinely funny for the most part
  • Skill system is great and makes you want to do new things and earn points
  • Competent multiplayer co-op
Cons
  • Second half of the game, everything crumbles
  • Unnecessary forced slowdown at points so the game can play dialogue, despite one of the characters being far, far away from you, making the slowdown pointless
  • Story is cliche, forgettable and pointless
  • Checkpoint system is dumb. If you die after a scripted event, you’re forced to watch that event again. Why couldn’t they allow you to replay the scene itself?
  • It’s constantly holding your hand, showing you prompts and telling you where to go, right up to the final boss
Summary
Bulletstorm is a competent shooter. It has great action and sets, and will keep you entertained for a good four hours of it’s eight’ish hour campaign. Online co-op is also competent, but nothing spectacular.

Games like this make me wish there were a neutral vote for Steam, because it’s not a terrible game, but it’s also not a great game, so I recommend it as a purchase only when it’s on sale. With no discount offered to people who owned the original, and a fairly hefty price for a remaster, it’s best purchased when it’s at a discount. Multiplayer will not last long, I don’t think, and for that reason, a discounted campaign will be your best bet.

(Bulletstorm: Full Clip Edition was purchased directly through Steam. This review has not been paid for in any way.)
Posted January 6. Last edited January 6.
Overview
Hm, where to start with Mr Shifty. It’s a stylistic, top-down action game that has you teleporting and punching (and occasionally whacking with objects) through 18 levels filled with enemies. The teleporting and punching is great fun, and I had a blast, for all of act one. Then, the second act started, and it immediately went downhill.

The story is extremely forgettable, even in the annals of forgettable stories. You’re after a thing called mega plutonium for some reason, and the enemy is trying to stop you. Such a unique tale. It’s also full of plot holes. The enemy wonders why you’re there and how you can teleport like you do, then a few levels later he’s somehow converted his entire building into a defense, and also has the same ability, except with more powers. There’s really not much to say about it aside from that.

Graphically, the game has a great style, the explosions are excellent and the overall polish of the game is good. The world is decent, but as you’ll be spending the entire game in one of three types of environment (fancy office, underground, fancy office with underground parts), there really isn’t much variety.

Sound design is alright. The explosions and punches are great at first, but as there’s extremely limited variety, they get old. Music never changes, and remains the same fast paced, techno garbage that is apparently a necessity in these types of games. No audio for the game dialogue, but Nyx isn’t funny, even when she’s supposed to be, and the bad guy has your typically cliche bad guy lines.

As I said at the beginning, act two is an immediate downhill slope. You begin act two by having the game take away the ability after which the game is named, thereby artificially creating difficulty without actually making it more difficult. Rooms are longer, enemies are more numerous, and that’s about it.

You’ll encounter several different enemy types throughout the game, but you yourself never change. While you’ll be up against machine guns, turrets, lasers, rocket launchers, grenadiers, rocket launching turrets and more, you never get anything besides your teleporting and punching, and a slo-mo that’s automatically activated when a bullet gets close to you.

Pros
  • Very stylish
  • Excellent first half, you’ll have a blast
  • Combat is exciting
Cons
  • Short
  • Repetitive in every way imaginable
  • Music and sound has very limited variety
  • No significant difference in environments
  • Enemies are all basically the same, just with different weapons
  • Forgettable story that you won’t even care about as you play
Summary
I wanted to like Mr Shifty, and I did for the first 45 minutes. Then act two started and I found myself caring about the game less and less. It is by no means a terrible game, it’s just too much of the same, spread too thinly, that you never encounter much variety, and it’s the same basic gameplay for the entire 2.5 hour experience.

(Mr Shifty was purchased from Humble Bundle. This review has not been paid for in any way.)
Posted January 5.
Overview
The Norwood Suite is a hard game to describe. It’s weird, strange, interesting, odd, confusing, quirky.

It’s also damned fun. A rather short experience at just over 2.5 hours (longer if it takes you more time to figure out some of the puzzles), but in that 150 minute timespan, you’re treated to an interesting story with a really weird but intriguing cast of characters, great level design, and fantastic music.

You play as a guest arriving at The Norwood, a weird hotel that’s known for being the home of a musician, Peter Norwood, way back. The man was as eccentric as the people you encounter and need to help out. A group of musicians working on new material, an employee who loves Blue Moose, front desk clerks who are coy about things in the hotel, and many more.

The game centers around you completing tasks for the various guests, to unlock access to locations that help you collect items to be able to talk to a DJ, which is the ultimate goal in the game. All the characters have unique dialogue when you’ll overhear, and they change what they say as you get closer when they address you directly. Some of the tasks you need to do can be confusing, but there’s a front desk concierge who can point you in the right direction.

It’s a very pretty game to look at, filled with weird and macabre decorations, twisting hallways, odd rooms, and more surreal things. It’s accompanied by a fantastic soundtrack that really immerses you into the game.

Pros
  • Excellent story
  • Unique characters that made me want to exhaust their dialogue options
  • Minor puzzle solving that somehow seems to fit within the theme of the game
  • Weird but interesting ending that I didn’t expect at all
  • Easy achievements to collect for those that achievement hunt
  • Priced right
Cons
  • Fairly short
  • No reason to replay once you’ve finished it, unless you missed an achievement and want to go for it
Summary
All in all, The Norwood Suite is an excellent adventure game. You won’t rack your brain on its simplistic puzzles, but you’ll enjoy the atmosphere and story of this twisted and surreal world.

(The Norwood Suite was purchased directly through Steam. This review has not been paid for in any way.)
Posted January 5.