Posted: Nov 15, 2016 @ 5:55pm

If you had Skyrim: Legendary Edition for the PC, you probably got the Special Edition for free. While that's fine and all, we should never let that get in the way of how we view the game itself. So, is it better than the 2011 version by any chance? After playing it for 5 hours vanilla, then 1 hour modded, I can tell you the pros and cons now, along with differences between old Skyrim and this one.

Pros:
  • SSE feels way smoother, with 60 frames a second. Better flow of gameplay / movement.
  • Graphics are improved, not to a serious degree but they're pretty nice.
  • Lighting and effects are much better, standing out compared to 2011 version.
  • Environment / background no longer stutters (where mountains / water freaks out)
  • Shadows are improved, some even reacting realistically to movement now
  • Particles and weather changes no longer cause FPS drops.
  • 3D Models seem a bit polished, along with other textures to cause better FPS performance.
  • Loading times are a lot faster, sometimes instant which is awesome.
  • Already has some great mods for use, to make the game FAR more fun.

Cons:
  • HUD is absolute crap. It's really awful and the inventory menu is also horrible.
  • Same bugs / glitces that 2011 Skyrim had, no improvements on that.
  • Although game doesn't crash as often, it still crashes or freezes for no reason.
  • Combat is the same, with no improvements on spells or the mechanics at all.
  • Achievements are disabled if you download any mods ... really Bethesda?
  • No changes to the quests, characters, or touching the core game.
  • Charaacter models look bland, bad, and the NPCs can have seams on their necks.
  • Some content is still cut out, so you'll need to download Cutting Room Floor[www.nexusmods.com] to get everything.

Personally, I believe Special Edition was meant for the console users since it's now portable to the Xbox One / PS4 with mod support, plus touched on graphics and lighting. However to my disappointment, nothing else has really changed. It's more stable, crashes less, and looks nice but doesn't offer much else for me to really consider it better than the 2011 version.

HOWEVER, I will say this: SSE is capable of topping 2011 once enough mods come out for it, due to how the game can handle much heavier scripts / heavy duty mods and can register much better than the old Skyrim with more mods and stable performance. In other words, this SSE is going to shine brightly since it has way more room for modders to make greater mods without the fear of limitations or quality drops from memory usage. Give it a year and i'm sure SSE will be better than 2011, but that'll take awhile. I'll also pray that the modding community can release SKSE because christ the HUD / inventory menu sucks so much.

Also hey it's free so no need for me to hate on the game. Still, Bethesda was a bit lazy to not improve other elements in the game but i'll take the open room for modding improvement / enhanced capabilitties without sacrificing the FPS or risk of crashes.

If you decide to play this game, PLEASE install Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch[www.nexusmods.com] so half the problems vanilla has gets patched up.
Wulpia/twitch.tv Dec 14, 2016 @ 11:20am
No, not sarcastic at all :D You're welcome :3
Caramel Frappe Dec 14, 2016 @ 11:10am
@Wulpia: Ahhh, my bad lol. Thought you were being sarcastic (Steam is known for that) so I appreciate the feedback and thank you for your sincerity good sir / mad'am!
Wulpia/twitch.tv Dec 14, 2016 @ 8:44am
That's what I said :) Clearer: Thanks for not whining and thanks for stating the good things about it. I agree with you :)
Caramel Frappe Dec 14, 2016 @ 8:41am
@Wulpia: But, I did state good things about it? They're under the 'Pros' category lol.
Wulpia/twitch.tv Dec 14, 2016 @ 12:25am
"I mean if it wasn't for free, I would of given my game a thumbs down. But Bethesda knew it wasn't too special apart from giving modders more opportunities / more room to make bigger mods without restrictions or limitations" Yessss, that's what it is! Thanks for not whining and stating the good things about it.
Caramel Frappe Nov 22, 2016 @ 8:49pm
@Boxx: Nah, i'm comparing it to the old 2011 Skyrim on PC. While it could play smoothly as well and have no issues- as time goes on (or the amount of mods you install), it starts to slow down and get bloated.

Meanwhile no matter how much time passes or the mods I have on SSE, it remains fuctional without sacrificing FPS. It may also depend on your computer too, for mine's an above average gaming computer but even the 2011 version gave me a handful of problems while SSE doesn't suffer the same fate.
Boxx Nov 22, 2016 @ 7:50pm
"SSE feels way smoother, with 60 frames a second. Better flow of gameplay / movement." lol? What, are you comparing it to the console version or something?
Caramel Frappe Nov 18, 2016 @ 4:18pm
@Zydrate: Well a remaster is basically a better version that touches up on a game with superior graphics / mechanics / fixes, ect. Yet all Bethesda worked on was the graphics which isn't even that impressive compared to the modding community's work.

I mean if it wasn't for free, I would of given my game a thumbs down. But Bethesda knew it wasn't too special apart from giving modders more opportunities / more room to make bigger mods without restrictions or limitations so i'll give em that but otherwise yea it's lack luster overall.
WTWR Zydrate Nov 15, 2016 @ 8:16pm
As you probably know, some of those cons are mitigated with mods. Bad inventory? Mod. I don't like the one I currently have but it's all I got until SKSe/SkyUI pops back up.

Also I didn't like the fact that no real changes were made, but people kept beating me over the head with the "Waaa it's a remaster, not a remake!" I expected more concrete changes beyond "Oh look, god rays!" but oh well.