Recent reviews by BrettMan

Seems alright, I'm a sucker for pixel art and this one's not too bad, it could definitely use some work though and it doesn't sound like that's going to happen. It's a management game but I couldn't figure out how to jump to my different people other than finding them on the map and clicking them. My hero character died and the game told me I needed to revive him at an altar, but I have no idea what that means. Unfortunately, I can't play more than 15 minutes before it crashes.
Posted November 29, 2021.
Pretty much the same as the original. Some things should have been added in a patch and others as DLC, but it's still a good game.
Posted November 26, 2020.
Nice and short. Not very hard. Has a nice retro feel.
Posted June 23, 2020.
I owned this for years on the N64 and only ever got past the first level, this version is so much better and it is so much easier to play mouse and keyboard that I have finally beat it. The view distance can be pushed way out so you can see the amazing levels. I highly recommend this, but I will admit that if you weren't gaming at the time this originally came out it would probably be pretty hard to get into it after playing modern shooters.
Posted June 23, 2020.
It's not Settlers 2, but it scratches my Settlers 2 itch.
Posted November 26, 2019.
Grow Home is a nice little game where you have to grow a plant to reach your spaceship. It's nice and short, you can probably finish the main quest in a couple of hours, but there is some stuff for completionists that can extend playtime a little further. I think the short length is one of the strongest points of the game and it is definitely worth the low price. The characters are cute and the goals are almost entirely non-violent which makes the game very family friendly, but I think serious gamers should give a try as well since it really is a unique experience. The only real negative I can see to Grow Home is that the controls can take a little getting used to and the camera can fight against you some times.
Posted July 6, 2019.
I really liked the mechanics in alpha 15 where you would get better at something by doing it, now you get better at cooking by killing zombies (who are now bullet sponges as well). I'm still going to recommend because you can choose to play whichever version of the game you like best, but I really don't like the direction the game is going.
Posted November 21, 2018.
Straimium Immortaly is described as a roguelike dungeon crawler and I think that is very accurate. This is a game that feels like it could have come out during the SNES/Genesis era and would have been hugely popular. It has the feel of an old school game but really does have a lot of good modern design influences.
One of my favourite things about Caiysware games is the sheer weirdness that they contain and this one does not disappoint. The language is here as is the amazing pixel art. While it is weird, I don't feel like things don't make sense, the power-ups and puzzles in the game all follow an internal logic that is consistent. The music is wonderful and appropriate and like other Caiysware games, the sound effects are what I would call gentle, so they're definitely there but not so aggravating that you want to turn them off after paying a lot. And I have played the game a lot, maybe more than others because I've been playing through multiple major updates which means I've had to play again after thinking I had already seen everything in the game. The achievements in this game are meaningful and while some are very difficult, they are all doable and I have found that they help to extend the replay value of the game and have helped push me to keep playing.
I haven't gotten a chance to play since before the last major update since I don't really have internet access at the moment (I'm writing this from my phone at a wireless hotspot) but this update sounds like something I wanted in the game but didn't know how it could make sense to have added it, but I can not wait to see what the developer came up with.
I can easily recommend this game and any other Caiysware game.
Posted November 28, 2017. Last edited June 23, 2019.
I bought Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen on PS3 even though I don't own a PS3 because I had heard it had fights similar to Shadow of the Colossus which is one of my all time favourite games. I had to borrow a PS3 from a friend of mine and he didn't get it back until this was released for steam.

I really like this game and I recommend it to anybody that likes serious fantasy RPGs. The atmosphere of this game took me back to my days of playing the Ultima series on my Atari computer and to playing Dragon Warrior (now Dragon Quest) on my NES which I don't feel many games do anymore. My favourite thing being that monsters don't scale to your level so you will walk over the early creatures when you come back as a seasoned warrior, but if you go somewhere you shouldn't be, you will die. I absolutely hate scaling in games because it feels like I'm not progressing anywhere since every fight is the same and every fight feels drawn out. As far as fighting being like Shadow of the Colossus, I don't really agree since those fights required climbing and you didn't really have stats. You can climb in Dragon's Dogma but it is nowhere near as good nor required.

The pawn system is fine, they're just like party members in any other game except you don't control them and they don't do what you want. They are fun to make though and it is fun to rent other people pawns just to see what they like in a companion.

This game definitely has a lot of play value. The main quest is a good 50 hours the first time if you're not rushing and the Dark Arisen content is another good 20 hours. You can also do new game plus and play through the game again with your experienced characters and all items brought over. Chances are you missed some quests on the first playthrough so it's nice to be able to experience them without having to start over from scratch.

Oh, I should also mention that the port works perfectly on my PC and I actually enjoy it a lot more than playing on the PS3 thanks to the higher resolution and smooth frame rate.
Posted November 27, 2016. Last edited November 27, 2016.
This review is based on v6 of the game.

Echo of the Wilds is a great little pixel art puzzle/survival game with a very involved developer.

I beat the game my first time in about 17 hours and completed all achievements after about 36 hours. I would say that there isn't much replayability after getting all of the achievements and most people would be satisfied with just beating the game once (you could get all achievements in one playthrough, but it took me multiple playthroughs to figure out optional puzzles and to really get the mechanics of the game). It was definitely a worthwhile game for me and I did enjoy almost every minute of playing.

I'm a sucker for pixel art and this game did a very good job of giving me what I like to see. Every area is very charming and has a very whimsical feel to it. Some areas even reminded me of some of the old Sierra point and clicks even though this is really not that kind of game. There are a few creepy visuals (which may or may not have been the intention) in the game which are pretty cool too. Most of the art for objects are pretty good too although I would have liked a description of what ingredients are required in the schematics since there are some materials that look very similar. Also, the game has four seasons and most areas not only look different but play differently as the seasons change.

The dialogue in Echo of the Wilds is great, I don't know how to explain except to say that it is also very whimsical. I really enjoyed reading every bit of dialogue and all of the descriptions of objects and areas.

Other reviews of this game have stated that survival was hard or tedious and I disagree. At least in v6, the survival is fairly easy and I found that the more I learned of the game, the less time I had to spend on surviving. Early on, you don't have to do much to survive since resources are very abundant and I feel the game has a very gentle learning curve in this sense. I never died to running out of food or as a result of sleeping in the cold. In fact, I died maybe three times in my 36 hours of play, so surviving was never an issue for me. This game also has crafting and I felt that there was the right amount of it in the game and there was also a lot of crafting that was never really necessary except to add flavour to the game.

Regarding the puzzle aspects of this game, the exact solution to each puzzle may change each playthrough but the method to solving the puzzles does not. This means that once you've solved a puzzle, it will no longer have any challenge for you. That being said, I never found any of the solutions to be illogical or meaningless and every puzzle felt satisfying to solve. Also, it should be mentioned that not every puzzle has only one way to solve it, there were times I discovered the intended way to solve a puzzle after I had already solved it a different way. Same thing with survival, there are a lot of different methods to survive, and these methods change as you discover more of the game and with the changing seasons.

During my playthrough, I encountered a couple of issues and reported them in the forums. The next morning, the dev had responded to my posts and issued a patch for the game that fixed my problems, and this seems to be the case for any other post in the forum. That is unreal, I have never even heard of a developer that listened so well to their community and was so devoted to fixing issues in their game. Anytime somebody has a problem, the dev is right on it and offers advice, adds features to the game, or fixes issues with the games. And this is just one guy. You can go on forums for other games (not going to name any names) and find hundreds of posts from people with the same problems for months and complete silence from the developers. Even early access games will have hundreds of posts with suggestions from players that the devs just won't even acknowledge. I thought that was just how things had gotten, so I stopped giving feedback, but then Echo of the Wilds comes along and shows me that some devs do still care and do want to hear from their players.

Anyhow, you should get this game, it's great.
Posted July 10, 2016.