Posted: Jul 16, 2016 @ 6:20am
Updated: Jul 16, 2016 @ 6:22am

The Temporal Invasion is a mystery puzzle game with a great story and very interesting puzzles.
If this review is too long for you, I suggest you to only read the first paragraph about the game's content and the final verdict at the end.

What is happening in the game:
You are contacted by a mysterious person called Dr. Quantum and before you know it, you get pulled into a series of events beyond initial expectations. The story takes place in an alternate reality and it introduces elements such as time travel or alternate universes and combines them with real world events, locations and people, providing a one-of-a-kind experience.

Pros:
  • Story | The story is quite good, I especially like how it combines the real world and an alternate world (as mentioned above). The way this story is told is quite interesting and all cases roll one into another very nicely. Sometimes it feels a bit rushed, but that is not such a big deal in my opinion.
  • Puzzles | The puzzles are great, they require you to use a lot of different skills, such as being able to google for very specific information, recognizing patterns and hidden messages and much more. Some puzzles require a lot of determination and time to crack while others just sit in plain sight, waiting to be seen. Overall, the puzzles are very enjoyable and I can't wait to finish them all.
  • Tools | I like how you can do a lot of things with in-game tools, such as the "UV light", an in-game browser, a chat app and a few other things. There is also some kind of an email application, from where you send solutions to all cases.
  • Variety | One thing I also have to mention is that I really like the variety of the gameplay. You have to think in a lot of different directions in order to make progress and even then some things might surprise you. Those things are sometimes not even hard to solve but are just hidden in a place you forgot to look at.
  • Developers | It is worth mentioning that the developer of this game is very active on the Steam forum and that they also help everyone who comes there with an issue. Making this game good is their first priority, which got them a spot on this list.
  • Pricing | I think that for $4/€4, this game offers a very good amount of content, which is even going to get better. I had a lot of fun playing so far and I think that the price is not even remotely a thing to question when deciding whether to buy this game or not.
  • Achievements + Cards | This game has an achievement for each chapter and a few other ones. You also get 3 Trading Cards by playing the game.
  • SteamOS + MacOS | You can play The Temporal Invasion on all three major operating systems. I heard about some minor bugs in the Linux version, but the developer is very active in fixing those bugs.

Cons:
  • Incompleteness | At the moment, only 50% of the game is currently completed. There are 10 cases/chapters in total and you cannot fully complete case #5. I do not doubt that the game will be finished in a decent timeframe, but this is still something you should know when buying the game.
  • Grammar | I don't usually care too much if there is a grammar mistake or two in games I play, but this game has a few too many. This is said to be corrected in future versions of the game, which will really help the gameplay experience.
  • Difficulty Spikes | Most of the puzzles are not insanely hard - there are some a bit harder ones, but not really unbearably hard. Then, every once in a while, you will come across a puzzle, that just looks like it can't be completed. This happened a few times to me and I had to look for solutions in order to be able to unlock the next puzzle. In one puzzle, there was also a cipher that was at first unknown to me. After a certain time spent on Google, I found two things: the name of the cipher (which I will not reveal in order to prevent spoilers) and that this cipher has not been solved yet. I didn't quite know how am I supposed to solve an unsolvable cipher until I found a page with a community made wannabe solution of the cipher, which turned out to be the solution to the puzzle. I didn't think that was fair, to be honest.

The final verdict:
The Temporal Invasion is absolutely great. I always wanted a puzzle game like this one and now I can finally play it. Although the story has a few problems and the same goes for puzzles, this game is still a lot of fun. When buying, be aware that the game is currently not finished and that there are some grammar mistakes, which are going to be fixed. Still, I think the game is worth its price in its current state.

With love,
BirdCute

Note that my copy of this game was obtained for free for reviewing purposes. However, this did not affect the quality and objectivity of this review.

---