Posted: Apr 25, 2016 @ 11:29am
Updated: Apr 25, 2016 @ 11:44am

Alchemist's Awakening is an open-world indie game with astonishing environment graphics and an enjoyable gameplay.
If this review is too long for you, I suggest you to only read the first paragraph about the game's content and the final verdict at the end.

What is happening in the game:
You live in a beautiful world where you have to survive. There is a bunch of different elements, from which you can craft many different things. In this game, unlike some other ones of the same genre, you can combine different basic elements in order to get even more items by combining, but I will describe this more in its separate paragraph.

Pros:
  • Graphics | The graphics are really very good. If you want to see what I'm talking about: click here. And make it a bit more beautiful in your mind, because my drawing distance settings were pretty low when I was taking the screenshot. Anyway, the textures look nice, which shows that someone was spending a lot of their time working hard on them and it paid off. So if you're worried about how the game will look, leave those worries behind you.
  • Multiplayer | Since there are so many survival/crafting games out there, you have to offer something new in order to be seen by the customers. This game did that: it supports multiplayer and, to be honest, it's quite fun. You can just join a server or create your own one. And if you're afraid of some random troll destroying hours of your hard work, don't be: you have the ability to protect a certain area from other players.
  • Workshop Integration | You can also create items yourself and, if you so desire, you can share them with others on the Steam Workshop. There is over a hundred items already, which is, in my opinion, a lot for a relatively unknown game in Early Access. This shows that there is a lot of potential already and I'm hoping to see an even more involved community in the future.
  • Amount of Content | As I mentioned, there is a lot of different materials to craft and what impresses me the most is that you are not only able to craft a certain item, but also craft it into a specific shape. Different shapes enable you to build more sophisticated items with smaller details, which is very hard to do in Minecraft, for example.
  • Skin Builder | It's a tiny thing, but I really love the skin creator. You can choose whatever elements you want and build a character the way you like it. You are only putting blocks together, which may give you the impression of not really being able to for a human-like character, but the game automatically detects shapes like arms and legs and makes your creation move just the way it's supposed to be moving. I find that really impressive.
  • Linux and MacOS Support | I'm not really sure what engine Alchemist's Awakening runs on, but it's certainly a good thing that it runs on Linux and MacOS as well.

Cons:
  • Difficulty | I needed at least an hour to figure out how to actually do anything useful. Building things is a real hassle at first and it takes a lot of time to get used to it. Once you get past that stage you discover the charms of this game, but the beginning can be just awful.
  • AI | When you're fighting against AI, it's not really a big challenge. You just learn a few right moves and all enemies become more or less uninteresting.
  • System Resources Usage | If your computer is not very good, you most likely won't be able to play this game. At one point, it used over 4 GB of my RAM. I don't have a problem with this, since RAM is there to be used, but it can severely slow down your computer if it's not strong enough. Consider this before purchase.
  • Amount of Multiplayer Players | Although multiplayer can be quite fun, it's not rare to see servers completely empty, meaning that you can't really play with anyone but yourself. In order to play with other people, you have to figure out when are people most likely to play and try to be there at that time.
  • Clunky Menus | I really don't like the menus. The first thing is their look, which is, in my opinion, somehow cheap and tacky. Also, you can only access options once you're already spawned on the map.
  • Steam Integration | First thing: no Achievements. Second thing: no Trading Cards. That's all there is to say about this.

The final verdict:
There's no doubt about this: this game is beautiful. It also has a very advanced crafting system, which covers two of the biggest advantages of this game. There are some problems, such as getting used to the game and how much system resources this game uses, but since this game is still in Early Access, I think that there will still be plenty of improvements. It looks like the developer is active, which is always a good sign.
If you like survival and crafting games, this might be a game for you. I'm not too sure about the price, so you may want to wait for a discount before purchasing this game.

Greetings,
BirdCute

Note that my copy of this game was obtained for free for reviewing purposes. However, this did not affect the quality and objectivity of this review.