Posted: Dec 29, 2015 @ 1:42pm
Updated: Dec 31, 2015 @ 12:50pm

The Purring Quest is a cat-themed platformer adventure game feature multiple cats, dogs, pigeons, moles and other animals.
If this review is too long for you, I suggest you to only read the first paragraph about the game's content and the final verdict at the end.

What is happening in the game:
You play as Kimchi the cat and you are trying to find your owner. On your majestic adventure, you also collect fish for endless hunger and help out other cats by finding their own items.

Pros:
  • The Story | On your journey, you will find several cats that require your help and all of them have something to say. Cat dialogues are mostly trying to be funny and are full of references. And these references are funny just enough times for me to say that they're mostly funny. Some of them are just tacky, though.
  • The Graphics | Everything is hand-drawn and I absolutely love it! The animations are smooth and I can't even imagine how much work was put into this. It's one of the best-looking games I've played in a while.
  • Musical Background | The music is pretty good, in my opinion. It's not something you would listen on your everyday music player, but it's fitting the game well and it's quite charming. The sound effects aren't too bad as well.
  • Bonus Missions and Related Achievements | Apart from the main story line, you can also free cats from hidden cages and find a special item in every level. You also get properly rewarded with an achievement for each of those things.
  • The Gameplay | So, this game is a platformer and I have to say that it's a really fun one. It has some difficult skill-related sections, which you will have to repeat a few times in order to complete them. Across the levels, you will also find numerous (but not as you would want) checkpoints. Every level takes about 30-45 minutes to complete and there are five of them in total.
  • Performance | The gameplay is very smooth and there were no performance-related issues at all. Just as it should be.

Cons:
  • Lack of In-game Options | This is not a very big issue, but everything you want to set up regarding graphics, you have to set before launching the game itself. The Unity launcher is the only place you can modify settings.
  • Lives | So, when you're playing, you have seven lives. You lose a life when you fall from certain heights. Unrealistic. Also, when you lose a life by getting caught by a dog, you lose a life and respawn at the checkpoint. If you run out of lives, you respawn at the checkpoint as well. So, I don't know what is the point of lives in this game.
  • Storing Chosen Settings | This is something that this game doesn't do. You have to choose your preferred language and jumping technique each time you open the game.
  • OS Compatibility | There is no SteamOS and MacOS support, which is weird, because Unity has the ability to export games for all of those operating systems.
  • Glitches | During the gameplay, I found out a few glitches that prevented me from reaching some fish. Also, the "Jumper" achievement seems to be broken.

The final verdict:
Personally, I enjoyed the game a lot and it offers nice gameplay, despite having some problems. I found it really cute and charming, more than usual. This game should get you buys for about 3-5 hours, depending on your desire to hunt achievement or read all of the dialogues.
Some of the profits are also donated to charity, so definitely get this game, if you see it for the right price.

Greetings,
BirdCute

Note that my copy of this game was obtained for free for reviewing purposes. However, this did not affect the quality and objectivity of this review.

---
If you liked this review or want to see more recommended games, be sure to follow our curator group: Follow Original Curator Group
Soulnimrod Apr 12, 2016 @ 7:22am
Cool!
BirdCute Mar 28, 2016 @ 12:56am
Read the comments below :)
Trippy Pancakes Mar 27, 2016 @ 8:39pm
Tell me this BirdCute....WHY DOES A GAME ABOUT CATS GIVE YOU ONLY 7 LIVES?:steamsalty:
BirdCute Jan 15, 2016 @ 2:35pm
@Supermarine, by that I didn't mean really tall buildings, but even smaller heights like window ledges and stuff like that.
I'm glad that you like my review, though.
Supermarine Jan 15, 2016 @ 12:23pm
If you think cats falling from certain heights and getting hurt or killed is unrealistic, you certainly have never owned a cat, lived on a planet with gravity or flunked badly your high-school physics.

Apart from that, very nice and complete review; descriptive and detailed, Thank you!
Prof. X Jan 5, 2016 @ 1:54pm
A positive cat game review made by a bird ? these are strange times indeed.
tactical pikachu Jan 3, 2016 @ 5:57am
Realy cool.
BirdCute Dec 31, 2015 @ 12:49pm
Oh, I didn't know that! I edited my review.
julesontheroad Dec 31, 2015 @ 11:27am
Hi, the game was made by a spanish dev and here in Spain is said that cats have 7 lives
" Cats in the US are said to have 9 lives whereas in Germany and southern Europe they only have 7 lives. While the poor cats in Arabian countries are even only said to have 6 lives."