Posted: Oct 12, 2015 @ 10:37am
Updated: Oct 19, 2015 @ 6:31am

Press X to Not Die is an indie comedy FMV[en.wikipedia.org] game that is fun, but is weighted down with quite a few flaws.
If this review is too long for you, I suggest you to only read the first paragraph about the game's content and the final verdict at the end.

What is happening in the game:
A crazy person is trying to kill you! What should you do? Your friend tells you to press X and you get to live. He presses X too late and he dies. You soon find out that this was not an isolated case as the streets are full of people trying to kill the ones that are healthy. You have to use your reflexes to avoid dying, getting hit and other things.

Pros:
  • Comedy | I had to admit that I had quite a few laughs while playing this. Although the acting was not the best I've seen, I'm pretty sure it was intentional (at least to some degree) and it's able to make you laugh, if you're not too demanding.
  • The Gameplay | There are three things you can do in the game: you can choose what to say in a dialog, you have to use reflexes to dodge a punch or to hit someone and you have to mash buttons to run or climb fences. This is actually one of the best things in this game. There are also different difficulties, the higher the difficulty, the more buttons you have to press at the same time.
  • Production | There are a lot of short clips put together to form this game and whoever was in charge of coordination and planning did a wonderful job. There are multiple clips which are different every time you die and that really adds another level of quality to the story.
  • Gamepad and Keyboard Support | Although this game was meant to be played on a controller, the developers added a setting to play with your keyboard. The controls were ported well and you will find the gameplay enjoyable with any one of those two.
  • Chapter Selection | Another thing I really like is the menu in which you can choose between the unlocked chapters. This is great if you, for some reason, didn't complete the story in one sitting or if you just want to select some other text in the dialog answer selection.
  • Points System and Leaderboards | As you get points for beating the game, there is Steam Leaderboards support for this game. You also get achievements for beating the game at different difficulties.
  • Active Developer | They are releasing updates frequently and they are open to suggestions. They are also planning on adding more features, such as subtitles and even more footage.

Cons:
  • Length of the Game | I completed this game in 25 minutes. Yes, that's right. It is recommended, however, that you play the game on more difficulties to see how far can you push your reflexes. I didn't find the story boring at all even after multiple playthroughs.
  • Acting Quality | Imagine a woman saying this line: "Oh, it's you. You're just in time. My roommate is trying to kill me." Now imagine her saying that half-asleep and kind of bored -- that is one example of this game's voice acting. It's not very good, if you haven't guess yet. I have a feeling that it's intentionally bad, but sometimes it's just too bad.
  • Poor Steam Integration | You cannot use Steam Overlay and you can only see your newly gained achievements after you close the game. Clunky. This was fixed with the latest update. Good job, developers!
  • Instability | When I was playing it, this game crashed a few times and one of the results of this was a lost achievement. Not a big deal, though, as this seems to be occurring rarely.

The final verdict:
I had a hard time deciding how to grade this game, but I decided that all the positive sides outweigh the negative ones. It's true that the acting is bad and the whole game is short, but I really liked it and I can't wait for the next episode! I'm not sure whether the price is appropriate or not, but the game is going to be updated with more content, anyway. I hope that the next episode will be given to current owners for free and not as a DLC or a separate game, as this would really not please people who thought that this episode was too short (everyone).
I recommend this if you're looking for a quick laugh and are not too demanding when it comes to acting quality.

Greetings,
BirdCute

Note that my copy of this game was obtained for free for reviewing purposes. However, this did not affect the quality and objectivity of this review.

---
If you liked this review or want to see more recommended games, be sure to follow our curator group: Follow Original Curator Group
Developer response:
All Seeing Eye Games  [developer] Posted: Oct 13, 2015 @ 5:49am
Thank you so much for your detailed review, BirdCute. We really appreciate it. We would like to correct a couple points:
1. We did a speed run of the game and it took 20 minutes from the start of the game to the beginning of the credits. We are fairly certain it is physically impossible to complete the game in less time than this while a typical playthrough would take about 25 minutes.
2. We have no control over the Steam Overlay. Any issue with it would have been an issue with Steam itself at the time. Perhaps this was the source of your instability as well? We have not received any other reports of crashes.
BirdCute Oct 19, 2015 @ 6:31am
@All Seeing Eye Games, I'm sorry, I meant to write 25 minutes, not 15. Also, this issue with the Steam Overlay was resolved with the next update, so I crossed it right after it was solved for me.
ivankuran Oct 18, 2015 @ 3:59pm
Please need the game in spanish!! I am from Buenos Aires!