Posted: Dec 26, 2015 @ 2:10pm
Updated: Jan 8, 2016 @ 2:03pm

Sunset is an interesting walking simulator indie adventure with charming graphics and an interesting story.
If this review is too long for you, I suggest you to only read the first paragraph about the game's content and the final verdict at the end.

What is happening in the game:
You are Angela Burnes, a housekeeper. You are trapped in a beautiful city that was turned into a warzone. Every week, you have to clean some rich man's house. You have certain tasks to do, but the main thing is to discover other things in his house which lead to a surprising story.

Pros:
  • Concept of the Game | The thing I like the most about this game is its ... interestingness. Yes, this is a word. At the beginning of this review, you can see that this game is a walking simulator. Ergo, this game is not for everybody. I understand the disappointment of some people, but this game requires your absolute attention and taking your time to play. And this is what I appreciate it for.
  • Visuals | So, this game looks really nice. I admit, the colours may seem a bit unusual, but you'll get used quickly to the feeling that the surroundings give you.
  • The Sounds | NOTE: I'm not talking about the soundtrack | The sounds are pretty good in my opinion, however, this game doesn't really have a constant soundtrack (see cons). I like how you can actually hear footsteps and there are also some outside noises.
  • Achievements | There are a hundred achievements and they all reward you for paying close attention to the game. Just by doing regular task as you're supposed to, you're not gonna get many. It's a nice way to make a player play the game! It seems bugged in some cases, though, I didn't even realise there are achievements in the first playthrough but after clearing my data, the achievements were working again. I might be alone in this as none of my friends I asked were having the same issues.
  • Amount of Available Gameplay | The shortest time you can spend to complete the game is supposedly an hour and a half, but if you are willing to spend time on it, you can get hours and hours more. A similar system was used in Life is Strange, which you could beat in 12 hours or 20, if you took your time.
  • OS and Steam Integration | Sunset includes MacOS and SteamOS support and gives you Achievements and Trading cards for playing.

Cons:
  • Steam Controller Support | I had bad issues trying to play with my recently acquired Steam Controller. The touchpad sensitivity is pretty much nil and I had to swipe multiple times to turn around for a really small angle. The sensitivity slider in the options menu barely helped. I just played with my keyboard and enjoyed the game, probably more than I would with a controller.
  • The Soundtrack | Although I like the sound effect quite a lot, I am disappointed in the lack of a proper soundtrack. A calm loop song would fit into the game really nicely and I would spend much more time in this game. I mean, there are a few songs here and there, but it's not always present. Also, there is an OST DLC available for 4$. What does it include? No idea.
  • Pricing | 20$? How about no? As much as I enjoyed this game, it's not worth that much money. 20$ is a fair price for Rocket League or CS:GO, but this games just lacks in content to justify that price. I'm not even sure in 10$. Sorry.

The final verdict:
A nice, yet heavily overpriced walking simulator. I really enjoyed playing it and I could probably even get a few more hours of gameplay out of it. It gets slightly repetitive over time, but I mostly liked Sunset for the experience and the feeling. This being said, Sunset is not a game for everybody. If you like slow-paced walking simulator adventures, this might be for you. If you don't, go check out some other games.

Greetings,
BirdCute

Note that my copy of this game was obtained for free for reviewing purposes. However, this did not affect the quality and objectivity of this review.

---
If you liked this review or want to see more recommended games, be sure to follow our curator group: Follow Original Curator Group