Posted: Aug 3, 2015 @ 11:04am
Updated: Aug 3, 2015 @ 11:05am

Space Engineers is an Early Access space sandbox game, developed by Keen Software House (you might also know them from Medieval Engineers or Miner Wars games). Although it's not yet fully released, it already features a great deal of content.
If this review is too long for you, I suggest you to only read the first paragraph about the game's content and the final verdict at the end.

Note: I played this game when I was on vacation with no internet so playtime and achievements were not registered for some reason. It was a nice vacation, though.

What is happening in the game:
People would tell you that it's basically Minecraft in space and they wouldn't be wrong. You can build ships and bases, fly around and mine. What to do in the game is basically your choice, as in all sandbox games.

Pros:
  • There are both survival and creative mode. As you can assume, creative mode is for creating, without any real danger you would need to deal with. Survival mode, on the other hand, need a bit more skill when playing, as you have to be careful not to die or lose the energy, there are meteor showers ...
  • Of of the best things in the game is Workshop integration. With 120k+ user-created items submitted, it is obvious that the game is fun enough for that many gamers to post their own creations. There is everything: ships, characters, asteroids ... you name it.
  • A pretty good tutorial introduces you nicely to many features in the game, even the basic movement ones, if you've never played any games before.
  • Some reviews say that this game is abandoned by the developer, however, there are regular updates coming out about twice a month.
  • Even though I'm pretty sure it's not very realistic, it still gives the impression of being like that. Space battles and stuff like that is of course not transferred from the real life, but other content might very well be.
  • A part I'm very thrilled about is in-game programming. You use C# language to write scripts.
  • For a game in Early Access there is a ton of content and things to do. Reminded me of Prison Architect. Impressive.

Cons:
  • The price is pretty high for an Early Access game. You should at least put the price a bit lower for the testers! It is true, however, that this game has been bundled twice already (at the time of writing this review).
  • Building stuff takes a long time, ruining it takes seconds. There is Workshop for the lazy people, though.
  • Despite having relatively low system requirements, this game runs slower than it should. I believe they're going to fix that before they get out of Early Access.
  • No Linux and MacOS support. I am not familiar with what engine they're using for this game, but most modern ones support other platforms than Windows.

The final verdict:
If you are one of the people who love sandbox games (not everybody do), you should consider getting this game. Even though it's in EA, it has tons of content, Workshop support for a few more tons of content and more features will be coming with future updates. The game is fun, not that buggy and it includes both creative and survival mode.
I've played Space Engineers a lot already, some people even spent hundreds of hours on it, in case you're worried about how many hours this games can offer.
For people who like sandboxes, this is certainly a recommended game.

Further reading:

Greetings,
BirdCute

Note that my copy of this game was obtained for free for reviewing purposes. However, this did not affect the quality and objectivity of this review.

---
If you liked this review or want to see more recommended games, be sure to follow our curator group: Follow Original Curator Group
Lrj_ Aug 11, 2015 @ 4:47am
Nice review, but... just a correction; the updates are weekly and have been for 2 years ;)
(Sorry, ocd kicked in)
BirdCute Aug 4, 2015 @ 5:14am
Thanks :)
Wilk Aug 4, 2015 @ 4:50am
Such an indepth review :steamhappy: Love the format and how sleek it looks.