Recent reviews by 404NotAFlounder

It's just not that fun.
The strategic 'world' view gameplay is anemic at best. There's no way I've seen to defend captured territory.
The tactical gameplay can be decent, but the game doesn't always give you enough information to make good decisions.
In the end, it starts to feel repetitive and shallow.
Posted January 30.

A developer has responded on Jan 31 @ 8:08am (view response)
If you've already played XCOM to death, you might enjoy this diversion.

There are still a number of pretty annoying bugs. For example, reloading a save in combat resets auto ability counters and available critical hit locations. On a related note, the critical hit locations previewer is garbage.

Overall I enjoyed it though.

They do some interesting experiments with the pod system that allow you to move through the map much more quickly. Overwatch ranges are shorter, which helps balance out that freedom. It might still be possible to set up overwatch traps for pod activations, but I never bothered.

I liked the more deterministic approach to damage. Critical hits and debuffs are still percentage based, but you know in advance whether you'll hit the enemy and how exactly how much damage you'll do (not including potential crit damage).
Posted December 14, 2022. Last edited December 14, 2022.
I'd like to recommend this, but the unit management/movement is just awful.
Posted July 1, 2022.
Great game, lots of depth and replayability. I see some people complaining about the unlock system. It's designed to emphasize/showcase some of that replayability, but maybe they're right and the challenges should just have been achievements. You definitely don't need any of the stuff locked behind the challenges.
Setting reminiscent of battletech, etc...
And +1 for having the character creation system I know from Shadowrun.
Posted May 16, 2022.
The UI design is a constant annoyance
Posted April 29, 2022.
Game is fun, but it may not be for everyone. It is very much a roguelike, not a traditional RPG. And even within the genre of roguelikes it hews closely to the OGs. Think Rogue, ADOM, Dungeon Crawl - Stone Soup, etc... Really the only significant departure in terms of gameplay here is the crafting system.

I'd actually wager that's a major reason for the plot/conceit of the game. Need a reason why RPG mechanics like trade, quests, and dialogue are missing? No problem, make the player character an ancient being whose only purpose is Murder.

So, provided that you're not going into this looking for an RPG, there's a lot to enjoy.

My one major gripe is that it feels like its missing a lot of QoL features when it comes to controls/UI/etc...

The crafting is one sore spot there, the fact that there's no way to automate longer crafting jobs can be annoying.
An example:
1) Open crafting menu
2) Select recipe
3) Type in quantity (there are no incrementing buttons)
4) Click craft
5) ...run out of stamina
6) Hit r a few times
7) Reopen crafting menu
8) Click craft
9) Rinse and Repeat
In this case, there should really be a button or keybind and allows you to continue working on what you're crafting without having to reopen the menu. Or, even better, a way to automate the crafting/resting cycle.

The other spot is customization of behavior when it comes to auto-loot, movement, force-attack, etc... I've somewhat come to expect these particular features in newer roguelikes.
Another example: One of the races comes with the perk that it can destroy inanimate objects by walking into them, though it takes damage in the process. There is no way to toggle this behavior on and off though. So, any time you accidentally run into something while moving, you're going to take damage.

In summary, if you're looking for a fresh entry into the realm of traditional roguelikes I'd recommend the game. If you're just looking for a roguelite RPG with crafting, it may not be your cup of tea.
Posted March 6, 2022.
Wish they'd put more thought into Cathay's harmony mechanic from a quality of life standpoint. Nobody thought that having a 'predicted harmony next turn' stat was important? Really?
Posted February 21, 2022. Last edited February 21, 2022.
Too many controls are unresponsive and/or unintuitive
Posted December 23, 2021.
There's something here, but it all ends up feeling pretty shallow. Also, the translations are honestly pretty bad.
Posted December 17, 2021.
Literally one of the buggiest games I've played in recent history. There are items and class abilities that just straight up don't work, at least once a combat I'm saying "What the ♥♥♥♥..." after one of my characters randomly loses an action, etc...
I'm trying really hard to enjoy it, but the game is fighting me. Maybe in 5-6 months they'll have done enough work for it to actually be release ready.
Posted September 8, 2021.

A developer has responded on Sep 9, 2021 @ 5:58am (view response)