Posted: Oct 12, 2014 @ 2:46am

While the software itself and its assets are great, there is a huge problem with the license of its contents.

I purchased this software because it said we could use its results for our 2D games. Unfortunately, and to my knowledge it is still unclear to non-users willing to purchase, the software as of now only authorizes usage of its contents for "RPG Maker".

What does that mean?
It means that you won't be able to use Character Hub production for your 2D Games, not in any way.

At least if you are not a pixel art designer. And if you are a pixel art designer, I wonder what use could be Character Hub to you as you would combine your tiles and sprites on Photoshop for about the same results.

The game descriptiom says that "the elements found in the program should work with other 2D game engines as well." As of now it adds that "RPG Maker assets are for RPG Maker use only". But even some months after, the software only contains assets from RPG Maker! This means that you cannot use it in any game of yours, unless you make a RPG-Maker-RPG. I've googled for other 2D resources for Character Hub to no avail. If you know any legal resource library that we may use for our own games (and not something restrictive like RPG Maker), please tell!

The software should be renamed as "Character Hub for RPG Maker" ; as of now, although a very nicely made software, it ends almost as a scam for programmers willing to use it for their own games. It's very unfortunate as I am sure Character Hub programmer, an indie, has worked on this software, but it needs clarification and efforts to get some license-free resources.

Developer response:
Laugilus  [developer] Posted: Jan 9, 2015 @ 7:08am
We understand your frustration and are working very hard on it.

Two DLCs (that will be free of any limitation) are actually under development. Consider that we are a small team and developing such content takes time.

The Workshop has also been open so that you guys can easily share resources.

You are also free to import your resources as well.

We are doing everything we can alleviate this restriction which comes sadly from the RPG Maker license itself.
ddenet Aug 20, 2018 @ 9:09pm
The program ONLY includes RPGMaker sprites. They can ONLY be used with RPGMaker. This program is being published by the same company that publishes RPGMaker. That is how it can contain RPGMaker sprites. There is now an addon that you can purchase seperately that will let you create different looking characters that can be used with other 2d engines. There are much better game engines out there than RPGMaker, but they don't have the great resources that RPGMaker has (graphics and sounds). I completely agree with the OP, it was not and still is not clear that out-of-the-box, without an addon, it just cannot be used with any game engine. Borderline false advertising. I'll use GameMaker Studio over RPGMaker any day except it doesn't have the tilesets thanks to Enterbrain's crazy licenses. (Enterbrain even claims ownership over any 3rd pary content posted in it's forums. That sucks!)
Cure Lovely Jul 21, 2018 @ 6:02am
If non-RPG Maker games are not allowed to use RPG Maker sprites, doesn't that mean this program is not allowed to use them either? Or is this program actually made by Enterbrain or with RPG Maker (didn't know it could make software)? Because honestly, if this program itself is violating the very rule being brought up here, I think that should eliminate the uptight fuss. ♥
Trey Nov 3, 2016 @ 5:05pm
@Mandrake42 No, that's not the point. If the issue is resolved, then his review should reflect that, or should reflect that he went back on his word(which I doubt). Enterbrain has not changed that policy.
Mandrake42 Oct 20, 2016 @ 7:03pm
@The Chicken McNuggets: So you are saying the license has been removed from the RPG Maker assets and they can now be used in any 2D game?

Do you have any sources for this by the way? I don't want to violate Enterbrain's copyright to its RPG maker assets.
Chicken McNuggets Mar 21, 2016 @ 2:21am
I think its good now. Maybe its time to rewrite your review?
Just sayin its 2016.
This review was made in 14.
korytoombs Aug 15, 2015 @ 9:40am
For people who aren't familair with Enterbrain's policies I can see where you're coming from. You can still use the program, but not the assests. (For those of you who don't know = You buy something owned by Enterbrain it can only be used in Enterbain products.) That's the RPG Maker series, Game Character Hub, and IG Maker to my knowledge (Not sure if Mangna Maker falls under that too.) But there are free to use for commercial assets out there that you could import into this. not created by Enterbrain.
Elindos Phar Jun 9, 2015 @ 3:55am
Ishums:
I don't understand the fallacies in all the posts below. I'm honest and informative here.

In case I haven't written things correctly, thus causing confusion, I'll do my best to rewrite things more clearly here.

The main problem here is:
"But even some months after, the software only contains assets from RPG Maker!"

So you can't do the objective here:
"make your own 2D games using Character Hub sprites".

... as the CharHub sprites are *only* RPG Maker sprites and these are license-restricted.

That is a *real* problem because it makes Character Hub empty of any sprite you may use.

The game description announced the license restriction on RPG Maker sprites, but not that it featured only RPG Maker sprites (or not at the time), so did not allow to conclude that I could not have any usable sprite in it!

As posted by the developer in January, they acknowledge this problem and work on it.

Once the problem is removed, I’ll gladly approve the tool as a whole.

Mishums Jun 8, 2015 @ 11:56pm
@Laugilus If I draw my own sprites by hand within your program, or import sprites I have made outside of it and use your program to animate them, do I retain the right to distribute them outside of RPGMaker? If the answer is yes, then I don't understand the fuss that some people are making. When you recolor sprites the original artist retains the rights to that sprite and RPGMaker is the original artist for the resources in CharHub, so if we recolor them it makes sense that they retain the rights to them...
Elindos Phar Mar 12, 2015 @ 3:10pm
@ Baby

I'll make another attempt at expressing the problem to some of the readers.

Suppose you purchase a game that says:

"This game allows you to play with any character class."
"Please note that classes using Necromancy are limited by licence and may not be currently played".

And then, after purchasing the game and trying it, you see that the only class the game provides is the Necromancer.

!?

Obvious problem is: the description should have mentioned that it only had this currrenty. And so, obviously, the feature "allowing to play with any character class" was flawed.

That doesn't sound so hard to understand, and that is my whole point.

The developer knows at and as he mentioned, is working on it.

Meanwhile, instead of misreading the review and thinking it "misread" the description, I really believe people should start being constructive and:

Send links to licence-free resources for Character Hub.
That would really address the problem.
ٿ☣ ♛ Hannya ♛☣ٿ Mar 11, 2015 @ 12:18pm
I guess that will teach you to read descriptions in the future.