0.0 hrs last two weeks / 116.1 hrs on record (41.7 hrs at review time)
Posted: Dec 28, 2019 @ 9:03pm
Updated: Aug 2, 2021 @ 10:54am

Sabbat of the Witch
Every wish has its price.

Preclaimer
- This is an Adult Visual Novel - one with a free R18 DLC at that - originally designed to be R18, which is why I consider the R18 DLC as part of the whole and will include it in this review. If for whatever reason you are not interested in this content, or aren't legally allowed to play it, you should just skip this review.
- Since many Visual Novels are similar in a bunch of ways, I'm gonna review this one on a few common aspects, trying to both include references to other VNs aswell as give independent explanations.

Graphical & Technical Quality
Sabbat of the Witch undeniably plays in the top ranks when it comes to outer strength. As the content summary on the shop page already states, this VN strikes with a unique, high quality art style with high focus on detail and a good mix between full fledged anime style CG wallpapers and Chibi style SD artwork.
What this VN lacks in terms of animation - there is none, not even blinking eyes - is completely countered with their vivid use of all the artwork they have. The high amount of character sprites and backgrounds is vividly changed even within a single sentence of dialogue, bringing the scene to life.
On top of that, the sound work - soundtrack, background noises and voice acting - is also on the notably top quality side.

In terms of technical features you can expect big things. The common KiriKiri features like jumping back and forth throughout every story segment you already visited, auto and skipping mode, a huge amount of customizable save slots.
On top of that you can add more pages of save slots if needed, you can setup quick access to features via mouse gestures, customize the behaviour of both auto and skip mode and save any voicelines for later on. As usual you can furthermore customize menu voices and comfirmation messages.
Finally, this again is a full fledged Visual Novel featuring multiple routes and endings, determined by the many decisions you make throughout the story.

And while there are more textual errors - missing or duplicate words, typos - than necessary, the translation is still as smoothly enjoyable as ever.

Content & Runtime
Of course not spoiling anything on the actual story, this is where this VN truly shines. As promised on the shop page's description of the content you have a bright, distinct cast of characters, including the male protagonist, who isn't your average, dense harem king but actually has a well developed character, just like the heroines.
The game features 5 of those, each coming with her own route and a total of 7 endings - 2 of them belonging to the same "main" route (hence being longer than average), one of them being the somewhat bonus route (hence a little shorter then the rest and unlocked after your first clear) and one being commonly referred to as the "bad ending", which ends the story after the common route/introduction route with no girl's specific route to enjoy.

The shop page also promises content worth 40-50 hours of gametime, which is around the time it takes (not rush-skipping through) - for the main route alone, that is.
The game can be seperated roughly into 3 parts - the completely linear prologue (up to the opening movie as usual), the common route or "main part" of the game where you make your decisions, which at that point only slightly change the dialogue, not the still linear story, and the character route, each of them being their very own, highly enjoyable story/ending to the story.
The main part takes around 15h of time, the routes themself around the same - plus minus depending on which route.
Even considering you most like won't play the common route seriously more than once, you can still guess just how much time consuming content this VN has to offer.

Also, even though this is an Adult Visual Novel through and through, focussing on the sweet romance story it's centering around, the warning of it having a "suprisingly dramatic" story is to be taken serious. We reach Undertale levels of plottwisting here and I honestly can't blame you if you shed a tear or two. I sure did.

Each route has it's own unique, serious and equally awesome story, so playing them all is highly recommended, even if you have to choose someone other than your #1 Waifu.
I highly recommend going with the original character order.

After clearing your first route you unlock the gallery as usually, where you can enjoy (as long as you saw them once before) the 92 CG Wallpapers and 30 Chibi artworks, each coming in a wide variety of versions, 48 soundtracks (some of those are alternate versions of the same track) and rewatch every opening and ending "movie".

Once you cleared every route, not including the "After Stories" - another little scene unlocked for each character after you cleared her route - you also unlock the Sprite Viewer in the gallery, where you can enjoy all the character sprites and common backgrounds to your liking.
To get a rough overview, the characters have up to 3 poses with several outfits and dozens of facial expressions, acompanied by a very rich collection of backgrounds, freely miaxable.
There also is the option to load a custom background image, so for all the people who always wanted an opportunity to photoshop their 2D girlfriend onto their photo - this is your chance!

The R18 DLC
Considering the DLC is for free, you can still expect an experience worthy of any regular full price R18 DLC. Each character route comes with 3+1 hentai scenes, plus one somewhat H-scene at the beginning of the story which is missing in the bonus route.
What, again, is lacking in animation is more than just countered by the work put into the rest. The voice acting is better than what I'm used to and the entire lack of acompanying sound effects for the action (you know, those funny "break bones" and "mix cement" sounds) actually make it a better experience - but that's for everyone to decide on their own.
On top of that, when it comes to the use of bodily fluids, we're actually on the rather realistic/believable side here (atleast visually).

There are no weird fetishes included, just your regular pair of totally-over-18 characters doing their thing, with one or another suprising dive into the topic of protection.

There is your best friend, the panic button, this time - funnily enough - customizable (it can minimize the game, display one of two very funny placeholder images, or a custom image you setup beforehand) and most of the hentai scenes give you the choice of either coming inside or out.
As usual (sadly) mosaic cencorship on the 'good' bits is in place

Conclusion
Is this game worth it?
Well, if I'd go and rate it on a simplistic, common scale from 1 to 10, this here gets a straight out 12. It's absolutely stunning, no matter if you rate it standalone or compare it to the other high quality VNs I have seen so far. Especially considering the R18 DLC, which is something most players are after anyway when going into this genre of VNs, and which is a key part of this VN in and on itself, is a free addition to a story that can stand on it's own just fine, the price tag is well set and if you still hesitate - there will always be a next sale, saving you around 30% more on this masterpiece.

Helpful review? Maybe take a look at the rest of my reviews too!
𝐅𝐨𝐥𝐥𝐨𝐰 𝐎𝐭𝐨𝐦𝐞 𝐒𝐞𝐤𝐚𝐢'𝐬 𝐂𝐮𝐫𝐚𝐭𝐨𝐫 𝐏𝐚𝐠𝐞 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐕𝐢𝐬𝐮𝐚𝐥 𝐍𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐥 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐉𝐑𝐏𝐆 𝐑𝐞𝐯𝐢𝐞𝐰𝐬
drugoja Aug 2, 2021 @ 1:52pm
Yeah, having gone through all 3 reviews, I see that this one would appeal to me the most. Wishlisted! Thanks :)
[GerPMW]R|ambo Aug 2, 2021 @ 1:46pm
In my personal opinion, Sabbat of the Witch still is best one of them. In fact, the amount of serious story content has gone down from game to game, so my hopes for "Cafe Stella" (the newest one being translated rn) are actually quite low now.
drugoja Aug 2, 2021 @ 1:31pm
Dramatic story with twists and turns... now this sounds more interesting to me than Riddle Joker. Something to hook me in beyond romance. Also, a well developed protagonist makes it even more promising (I guess having a face is a must then xD). Quite a lot of content... Maybe I should've wishlisted this instead of Riddle Joker xD

Which one is the best of three in Yuzusoft Collection? This one?